Maintaining my weight is driving me crazy.

Options
2»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys! Right now, I'm trying to eat as much as 1,500 calories per day. I don't know why but I can't seem to exceed 1,500 a day and reach what MyFitnessPal has suggested to me (2k calories per day).

Another concern of mine is that I'm also afraid to eat a lot bc my face gets bloated fast. I don't want that to happen.

You're 19. Eat, drink, and get laid. That's really all you should be worrying about.

^ and this is the problem with america. Lets drop the "dont give a **** about your weight" mentality. Child obesity is an issue, incase you missed the memo.

but....is the OP obese? or even anywhere near obese?

He's about my size. So no.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys! Right now, I'm trying to eat as much as 1,500 calories per day. I don't know why but I can't seem to exceed 1,500 a day and reach what MyFitnessPal has suggested to me (2k calories per day).

Another concern of mine is that I'm also afraid to eat a lot bc my face gets bloated fast. I don't want that to happen.

You're 19. Eat, drink, and get laid. That's really all you should be worrying about.

^ and this is the problem with america. Lets drop the "dont give a **** about your weight" mentality. Child obesity is an issue, incase you missed the memo.

Context is also an issue, in case YOU missed the memo
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Just find out what your TDEE is on a non exercercise orientated day and eat at that, if you are dilligent and weigh everything, you should be able to maintain, but the thing is its not an exact science, you are gonna gain or lose weight, but dont worry aslong as you are staying around your goal weight what does a kg here or there matter not like it's gonna kill you lol.

I'm finding i can't eat enough to maintain now unless i don't exercise at all other then my job which is physical.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    your BMR is 1572.44, and that's what your body burns when you're completely at rest - no typing, walking around or going to the bathroom. you should be eating at least 1883.52 if you're doing very little, 2000 or more if you do stuff.

http://www.calories-calculator.net/Daily_Calorie_Calculator.html

if you feel your face is bloated and it's continuous, see a doctor, but if you see it all the time, it could be just the shape your face is. i believe you may need therapy or counseling - your fear of gaining weight doesn't seem healthy, and you seem like you're finding excuses not to eat. please take care of yourself and be well!
  • khalidenriquez
    Options
    For the past three days, I've been binging on junk food. It worries me so much. I ate 2,500 today and it makes me anxious. I'm afraid that my man boobs will be back if I start gaining weight again.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and pushing 40...I maintain on 2800 calories per day. Your BMR is the calories you burn just existing...you burn those calories if you did noting but sleep and never moved. Of course you have to eat more than that.

Your calorie requirements are dictated by your stats as well as your activity...the more active you are, the more energy (calories) you need. Think of yourself like a car...if you don't go very far and rarely move then you don't need much gas....if you move a lot and cover great distances then you need a lot of gas.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    To me, it sounds like you're underweight [as a Male] for your Height.
    And at your size, i can't imagine you having "Man Boobs"! Lol
    Why not eat reasonably (2200-2500 cals) and healthier foods and just do a bit of weight training a couple times a week to stay toned?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Or the problem is that the popular mentality thinks puberty ends at 18, and both young men and women get trapped into the horrible cycle of ignorance of nutrition and development, since development is still happening into the early to mid-20s.

OP, I also question your BMR calculation. Where did you get 1,400 from?
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    For the past three days, I've been binging on junk food. It worries me so much. I ate 2,500 today and it makes me anxious. I'm afraid that my man boobs will be back if I start gaining weight again.

This just sounds like an unhealthy relationship with food.

Listen - being fit is a lifetime journey. It's a lifestyle you have to life forever. You don't get to lose a few pounds and then suddenly jump on the junk food train. If you do, then yes - you'll gain it all back. And people do. History tells us this.

This is why I caution people so much: don't starve yourself on a diet to lose weight, don't restrict food groups, and form a healthy relationship with food while your'e cutting.

Now that you've reached some kind of goal weight, I have to ask: Are you working out at all? Doing any resistance training? You should be. This is a lifetime event.

Be active. The benefits of physical activity go way beyond creating a calorie deficit for losing weight, or retaining lean muscle mass while cutting.

Eat healthy foods for the majority of your calories. There's nothing wrong with cake, ice cream, chips, whatever - but in moderation. Know your caloric needs based on your activity, and fuel yourself. You don't want to restrict any foods (that's a food disorder waiting to happen), but you don't want to "binge on junk food" either. That's a quick trip back to overweight.

The biggest issue now is just building a healthy relationship with food. Learning how to eat normal portions without having to weigh everything. Learning what full really feels like, and when to quit; when to say, "I'm done."

You have a long life ahead of you. You're young. This is just the beginning.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

2500 ain't no binge. congrats, you finally ate at maintainence. and eating a bunch of junk food isn't unusual for a 19 year old either. make mostly solid food choices, enjoy the junk food when you can, lift something heavy, get good grades, and try to get laid. nothing else really matters right now.
  • khalidenriquez
    Options
    I'm working out, but only 3-4 times a week because I'm also busy in school. My workout includes strength and cardio (push-ups, crunches, jumping jacks, planking, squats, etc.), but I do it alternatively. I'm in my senior year now in college. Yay!

Anyway, I started eating around my maintenance now. MyFitnessPal suggested that I eat 1,900 calories per day to maintain my weight, so I stick to that. But my problem, however, is that my face got bloated after a few days of eating 1,900 calories everyday. Idk if that was caused by it or what.

Thank you so much for the replies, though. :)
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Oreos are fine. Eliminate thinking any foods are inherently bad or good... For some people, this is good. For you, it sounds like it could be a path to disordered thinking and/or eating patterns. Which is very bad.

As a 19 yo male, 2,100 seems far closer to being maintenance than 1,400. I am a 23 yo female, and I LOSE weight on 1,400. I maintain right around 1,900-2,100. So, I would say that 2100 actually seems to be too little. It is unlikely you will gain weight on it. And you may or may not see a loss on 1900. Unless you are very sedentary (if you're doing cardio, you're not), then that would not be maintenance for a male. So, be prepared to possibly up your intake.

In maintenance, you will have to toy around with numbers for a while. I started on 1,500. Still lost on it. Upped to 1,600. Still lost. Still lost on 1,700, too. I seem to maintain, as I said, right around 1900 and 2100.

I'm not sure about bloated face. I know when I went from 1,600 to 1,700... my face was more 'fuller'. In my case, though, I think it was because I am in recovery from an ED. And eating disorders cause the face to have a sunken in appearance (restrictive ones, anyway). So, it was just a result of receiving adequate nourishment long enough opposed to not. I doubt that is your case, unless you were on a severe deficit. Maybe someone else can help there.

Good luck. :)

ETA: 2,500 isn't a really big binge. It is for me (physically and psychologically), but only because a) I have an eating disorder, so psychologically I struggle eating that much in one day/sitting and b) because of my eating disorder, I have severely damaged my digestive system and my system can't handle more than about 500 calories in one sitting. If 2,500 is considered a binge, this is usually a sign that something deeper is going on. Whether it is you eating too few calories, or an unhealthy relationship with food.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Short answer: yes you need to eat that much.

Long answer: I am 45, quite active, 5'7" and eat at least 2000 calories per day to maintain 150-155 pounds.
    I eat more if I hike or bike long distances. Don't be afraid to eat. You need it.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Maybe your face got bloated due to certain foods you were eating.
    I think you said you were eating Junk food? (So maybe too much Salt)
    I'd cut the fast food down to just once a week and eat healthier the rest of the week.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm working out, but only 3-4 times a week because I'm also busy in school. My workout includes strength and cardio (push-ups, crunches, jumping jacks, planking, squats, etc.), but I do it alternatively. I'm in my senior year now in college. Yay!

Anyway, I started eating around my maintenance now. MyFitnessPal suggested that I eat 1,900 calories per day to maintain my weight, so I stick to that. But my problem, however, is that my face got bloated after a few days of eating 1,900 calories everyday. Idk if that was caused by it or what.

You're a 19 year old college senior?
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Swollen sides of ace should be looked at by the doctor. There are several things that could cause it but lymph glands are often the culprit and you need to make sure it isn't a serious issue...IMO
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options

Working out 3-4 times a week is good. But if you are worried about man boobs, then do some chest exercises to bulk up your pecs a bit. The other thing is that we don't exactly know what you mean that your face is bloated. The poster that mentioned bloating after an ED is spot on. If you were eating very low, your face is going to appear bloated now that you're eating significantly more. Also, it's possible that you are retaining water in general (too much sodium can be a cause). Either way, if you are experiencing bloating, you should talk with a doctor and drink more water.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

2500 ain't no binge. congrats, you finally ate at maintainence. and eating a bunch of junk food isn't unusual for a 19 year old either. make mostly solid food choices, enjoy the junk food when you can, lift something heavy, get good grades, and try to get laid. nothing else really matters right now.

I like this advice. Apart from the age and the grades bit, this is pretty much how I live my life!