Problems with both Knees......workouts?

Options
I had my second daughter in September and found out in November that I have patellofemoral pain syndrome. For those that do not know it's kind of like runners knee. Doc says I was pushing myself too hard too fast after having my child.:angry: So now I am in physical therapy. I have to lose 20 lbs by April :explode: ........any suggestions????

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    The stepping elliptical really strengthened my knees up.
  • Mashisha
    Options
    Try swimming if you have a local indoor pool..water aerobics and the such..that takes the strain off of knees and hip joints and provides great resistance!
  • dirty_diana
    dirty_diana Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You should probably ask your doctor about exercises that are safe for your knees, but swimming and biking are usually what is recommended. Depending on how bad your knees are, you might be OK on the elliptical too. And if you are feeling adventurous, ice skating is surprisingly easy on the knees. I play hockey with several women who have bad knees, and in my own experience with runner's knee, I always found that skating didn't bother it even when walking did.

Good luck!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your Physical Therapist about what exercises and at what intensity would be good for you. First thought is that swimming is great for just about anyone with joint issues. It burns a lot of calories, works pretty much every muscle in your body and has no impact. Short of that, I'd think elliptical since it also has very little impact. Start slow and work your way up.

Who said 20 pounds by April? Is that you or your doctor?
  • Schuky01
    Schuky01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been suffering from that for 3 years now, due to rugby. I have lost 25 lbs and haven't had any relief yet :-( They told me to try to do quad strengthening to help hold the knee cap in proper place. Otherwise, Tylenol and Ibuprofen are my best friend. I was also told not to run but to do non-impact exercises.
  • Bambie
    Bambie Posts: 12
    Options
    Elliptical for sure. Low impact on the knees. Swimming? Bike machines? Incorporate all of those and you should be able to strengthen your knees and lose weight! Good luck, you can do it!
  • chunk3y_m0nk3y
    Options
    swimming and an elliptical trainer will help u burn calories without the impact..i use my elliptical and i have arthritis in my knees..i know its not the same thing as u but i do have problems with having pain in my knees..my elliptical gives me a great workout and it is very low impact..i dont have any pain while im working out or even after im done..swimming is just as good..unfortunately i only swim when its summer cuz i am so self concious of my body i hide behind my hubby..lol..but either way u will get a great workout with either 1..have fun..good luck..take care and u CAN do it!!
  • raising2ells
    raising2ells Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Girl, I am right there with you. I have a bad right knee and a bad left hip. They said I need surgery on my knee, but I dont' want to do that until I'm at a healthier weight and will be able to rehab it more appropriately. Everything, and I mean everything, hurts my knee....biking, swimming, elliptical, lunges, stairs, running, and even walking was painful. My doc gave me a cortisone shot which helped the inflammation and irritation and has made it possible for me to walk 2 miles per day. The pain is not gone, by ANY means, but about 50% better. Enough that I've been able to walk for exercise (on a flat surface, no inclines) and lose 17 lbs so far. Walking is ALL I can do, but at least it's something for the time being. Don't know if you're a candidate for cortisone injection, but it did help me. Maybe talk to your doc about it. It's been 3 weeks and the pain is just now starting to come back a little, so I don't know what the future holds for me and my knee, but hopefully I'll be able to get another injection when this one wears off.