Weird Handshake

Options
347Gigi
347Gigi Posts: 99 Member
Monday night I had a meeting with several business associates. Most of them I have met in person, but a couple of them only on the phone. Before dinner we all shook hands as usual. During the "handshaking round" one of the men who I had not met in person, grasped my hand and shook it -not up and down like a normal handshake- but vigorously back and forth for at least 8 or 9 seconds. It seemed quite insulting. Am I over reacting? Any ideas?

Replies

• 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    This a serious post?
  • 347Gigi
    Options
    Yes. In all of the years I have been in business nothing like this has happened.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • 347Gigi
    Options
    I acted as if nothing happened that night but I'm not positive about how to deal with this person in the future.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    That is an unusual handshake but I would like to think it wasn't meant to be insulting.

Did the person have another cultural background?
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Hard to say. He might just be peculiar like that and have an odd way of shaking hands. He might be trying to be goofy / funny. Or he could be a jerk who was trying to get a rise out of you and playing a dominance game to show he can make you do something unorthodox on a whim.

In any case, at this point, I'd just make a small mental note of it but generally leave it in the past until he does it again, at which point you could ask "what is with the peculiar handshake?".
  • 347Gigi
    Options
    He doesn't have a different cultural background. I check on that sort of thing before meetings, just in case.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Hey may be in a gang. You should probably report it to your local authorities.
  • 347Gigi
    Options
    Hard to say. He might just be peculiar like that and have an odd way of shaking hands. He might be trying to be goofy / funny. Or he could be a jerk who was trying to get a rise out of you and playing a dominance game to show he can make you do something unorthodox on a whim.

In any case, at this point, I'd just make a small mental note of it but generally leave it in the past until he does it again, at which point you could ask "what is with the peculiar handshake?".

This sounds good. I will be wary but not take this "first offense" to heart.
  • 347Gigi
    Options

I think I'll wait until I find spray paint or a gang symbol on my office or car before I report the incident to the authorities.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

I think I'll wait until I find spray paint or a gang symbol on my office or car before I report the incident to the authorities.

Could be too late by then.

You may even be part of the gang now yourself. Perhaps the handshake was your initiation?
  • sixout
    Options
    Perhaps he was just trying to initiate a good old-fashioned Dutch Rudder. You know, to really seal the deal.
  • 347Gigi
    Options
    Spade117- That was a pretty easy initiation..
    sixout- "Dutch Rudder" sounds frightening
  • sixout
    Options
    It's not gay, so you should be alright.
  • 347Gigi
    Options
    Ah.. good to know
  • diespel
    diespel Posts: 700
    Options
    next time you go to shake hands, grasp his wrist with your free hand. Imposes dominance and you can keep the damn thing still
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Next time just go in for a full body hug and whisper "You smell different when you're awake." He shouldn't give you any more problems.
  • diespel
    diespel Posts: 700
    Options
    Next time just go in for a full body hug and whisper "You smell different when you're awake." He shouldn't give you any more problems.

LMAO so loud it brought in my colleague from the next door office
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options

LMAO so loud it brought in my colleague from the next door office

Same here!

In for the gifs.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Monday night I had a meeting with several business associates. Most of them I have met in person, but a couple of them only on the phone. Before dinner we all shook hands as usual. During the "handshaking round" one of the men who I had not met in person, grasped my hand and shook it -not up and down like a normal handshake- but vigorously back and forth for at least 8 or 9 seconds. It seemed quite insulting. Am I over reacting? Any ideas?

:huh:

Yes. You are overreacting...by a lot.