How to start weight training at home?

Options
Hi!

All this time I've been working out only cardiovascular exercises. I don't go to the Gym, I still don't like it there... I go out walking, jogging, or riding my bike... but I would like to start weight exercises at home.

Is there any practical advice? or some sort of guide to start?

Should I keep doing cardio until I lose more weight?

Thanks!

Replies

• JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    A little bump :) Any advice here?
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend getting to your BMI then start your toning. That is what I did. Or atleast get close to your BMI otherwise you will be strong and big.

29509743.png
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Do you have weights at home? If so, what kind of weights/ equipment do you have at home, this is important information to have. Also, to the person above, nonsense. Do not wait to start weight training. Do it now!! When you lift weights, you are adding lean muscle and in turn the lean muscle will burn more fat, and your body will burn more calories (even at rest). Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend getting to your BMI then start your toning. That is what I did. Or atleast get close to your BMI otherwise you will be strong and big.

29509743.png

No.

It's never too early to start lifting. What equipment do you have? Good starter programs are Stronglifts, Starting Strength, All Pro, and New Rules of lifting. You could also do body weight training; You are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

29509743.png

I would recommend starting now. No need to wait until you get close to your BMI.

If you don't have weights/equipment at home, look into a program like You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning for bodyweight training that still gives you a progression over time.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

29509743.png

No.

It's never too early to start lifting. What equipment do you have? Good starter programs are Stronglifts, Starting Strength, All Pro, and New Rules of lifting. You could also do body weight training; You are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning.

Jinx :wink:
  • bobngrac
    Options
    The body will burn more calories if it has more muscle, but its minimal. I would advise lifting now also, the weight loss will slow down as you build muscle but you will be getting tone and fit. If you have no weights you can do body weight exercises, they are very effective for beginners. If you want to stick with it after some time then you could invest in a good weight set, probably even pick one up off of Craigslist.

You are your own gym for the most part is nonsense in my opinion. Some of the exercises are just flat out unsafe.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

29509743.png

No.

^Listen to this.

this post x 600,000.

Get a time machine and start yesterday.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Jinx :wink:

:drinker:
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It's never too soon to start lifting. You can do body weight exercises- push ups, sit ups, squats. Fill old gallon milk jugs with sand and squat with those. You can buy a weight set for home.

Here's a link with a good beginners program - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Look into bodyweight exercises to begin with. They will help to strengthen your joints and can be done from home. I went from 280 down to 245 doing bodyweight exercises before adding in only two dumbbells. Essentially all I did was push up variations, chin ups, lunges, squats, planks, etc. Also look into flexibility/stretching work. These are all great precursors to adding lifting in to your fitness plans.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    My advice is based on what has worked for me. I had tried the weight training before I finished losing and it was not successful for me. It may work for some people. I am in better shape at 40 than I was at 20.

29509743.png
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

29509743.png

No.

I found it was hard to work gym time into my routine, so I do body weight right now. The results people are seeing through lifting are bigger than what I've experienced, but I've been able to be consistent (which I wasn't able to before) and have found a lot of value in addition to strength and muscle growth in doing body weight.

Really, the only equipment you need is a doorway pull-up bar, but I got a WOSS suspension trainer because it is more versatile.
  • ainarsraciks
    ainarsraciks Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just do bodyweight stuff. Push ups, body weight squats, sit ups, pull ups, supermans, headstand pushups and work on a bridge - full body workout right there. Of course start with easier variations if you can't do those yet. I think bodyweight stuff is more fun than just going to gym and lifting and you can build a lot of strenght and muscle with them, don't really need weights. Advanced stuff like one hand headstand push ups or one hand push ups on one leg is pretty damn difficult.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I've been doing bodyweight exercises based off this routine: http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-ultimate-bodyweight-workout-routine/

Note that you don't need to buy all the equipment before starting. I already had a lot of it and I'm slowly adding. I also use dumbbells for military presses, curls and shrugs since I already had a set.

OP: Per your ticker you weigh somewhere around 220 pounds. You may have to modify some of the exercises to push and pull that much weight around. On the bright side, you've got one hell of a gym in your own body.

One last thing. I've lost close to 40 pounds. A few weeks ago I went out and bought a 40 pound weighted vest to add a little challenge to some of the exercises. It didn't hit me until I got home with the vest that if I'd just stayed at the same weight, I could've saved myself some money.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Snap Fitness when I first started, then as a wedding gift, we got a treadmill and a home bowflex system. I also bought a weight bench and some weights, and now I have my own room. No need to wait for equipment anymore!

Start now lifting weights, bodybuilding.com has lots of routines you can follow, as well as NerdFitness. Find a beginner one that you can handle and go from there. You won't be sorry :)