Food and excercise journaling. It makes a difference.

Options
Has anyone seen a huge difference in the way you eat now? It took me a while to get the hang of this journaling stuff, and now I noticed the difference in my eating and excercise habits. I am at aww with the way I've transformed my eating habits. I never seriously excercised or ate right until I started journaling. My mind is still like WOW. Now I'm trying to get my daughter and my hubby to do the same.

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    It really does help, you're right. I plan my day the day before so I am already ready for the day when I wake up. I don't have to guess and it keeps me honest.

:)
  • yvonned14
    Options
    how long you been on this program? i juat joined right now, kinda excited :)
  • Jenstar7772
    Jenstar7772 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I know what you mean. My biggest problem was portion control and all if a sudden you actually see what your eating and a lightbulb goes off in your head. I now eat less and eat healthier and my body feels great! I'm glad im not the only one who feels its more of a lifestyle adjuster than just a calorie counter.
  • fitmom125
    Options
    I've been on this program for about two or three weeks. It has changed alot of my bad habits.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    And smaller plates. Do you realize how much LARGER plates are now than 50 years ago??
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    YES! I can go one day thinking I'm eating healthy... not logging and as soon as I log it, I go, "WOW. I thought I had the hang of this!" haha It's helped tremendously. I'm obviously a lot better at estimating now than I was a year ago, but I still have a ways to go.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It's definitely made me realize how bad my old eating habits were, as well as how easy it actually is to develop much better eating habits. If I eat 5 pieces of pizza (like I did today...oops), I log that in and think "1400 calories!?!" And I used to do that day in and day out without thinking twice about it. I definitely know better now.

And, best of all, I've found that if I'm careful about what I'm choosing to eat, I can still eat as often as I want and as much as I want (within reason) without getting hungry and without going over my calorie goal for the day. That's the weird part: I'm eating healthfully and losing weight, and it's not even that difficult! Who would have guessed it?

:)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    Yes it sure does make a difference my eating habits have changed ALOT. I eat differently and also smaller amounts, but more often. Also I have never been a breakfast eater and now I eat breakfast everyday. Usually just yogurt, fruit or oatmeal. But it is better then before.
  • fitmom125
    Options
    I agree that it does force you to choose your food carefully. I wasn't a breakfast person either, but now I try to find something healthy in the morning to eat.
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    At first, I just had the phone app to help me count calories for a biggest loser style competition and knew that food journaling would make me think a little more about what I put in my body. But before I knew it, I was showing all my friends, they all thought I was a little silly... Now they're seeing the beginning of these new results and ask how I'm doing it, what diet I'm on and I tell them, "I'm not on a diet, I just have to keep track of what I eat!" Then I show them on my phone how easy it is to log whatever I have, and then explain how it's all tracked for you, and I think I have a few new buddies very very soon!!!

I started playing online last week, and now my boyfriend says I'm addicted to it, then kissed me and said he couldn't be any prouder of me! He's my #2 fan (he says #1, but that goes to Mom) and he brags about my dedication to doing this (he is not on a diet or exercise program with me nor plans to), so I have to feel great about that! So yeah, I think this stuff's pretty coooooo!!!
  • florange323
    florange323 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have been journaling since Jan 02 as my New Year's resolution. & at first I hated it but the reflection I saw in the mirror when I got out the shower made me stick with it. I have lost my first 10 pounds and I'm poud of ME. I learned alot too. Somethings I thought were ok to eat carefree really weren't (Cheese Its, Jamba Juice, mixed nuts, and especially cereal with whole milk). I look back at my old eatting habits and miss the Filet-O-Fish meal, starwberry milkshakes, and personal pan pizzas at Pizza Hut but then I turn my head to the future and I LOVE that view so much more. So here's to reading nutrition lables, portion control, making better choices, drinking more water and continuing the food and excercise journaling. *cheers*
  • fitmom125
    Options
    Well said!! I luv it. Cheers to you florange323.
  • lucybp
    lucybp Posts: 193
    Options
    I agree! Journaling does make a HUGE difference. I had been 'flirting' with journaling for a while, in the form of just writing down what I was eating but not the portion/quantity/caloric intake etc ... Well, a friend (dear Paola) invited me to the MFP and WOW ... I was eating 800 calories for breakfast alone!!! Yikes! No wonder I wasn't losing weight. I've been able to modify my eating style and share the journey with some pretty cool folks. Not only that, but I no longer have anxiety attacks over food or lack okf it. I know what is going on and my mind is at ease. Before ... major anxiety attacks.
    I also noticed that the journey cannot be shared with everyone. Folks who don't work out regularly or watch what they eat don't normally get it and see one as being obsessed. It's nice to have a group of people who understand exactly what you are going through and where you are coming from.
    Loving MFP and you folks!
    Happy Monday.
  • Jesseann
    Jesseann Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like MFP because it makes you accountable. You're conscious of what you're eating and you make sure you get your workout in because you know you have to write it down and look at it. Whoever invented this is awesome!
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    I really love logging in all my food and exercise for the day. I feel good about myself. :happy:
  • fitmom125
    Options
    I agree! Journaling does make a HUGE difference. I had been 'flirting' with journaling for a while, in the form of just writing down what I was eating but not the portion/quantity/caloric intake etc ... Well, a friend (dear Paola) invited me to the MFP and WOW ... I was eating 800 calories for breakfast alone!!! Yikes! No wonder I wasn't losing weight. I've been able to modify my eating style and share the journey with some pretty cool folks. Not only that, but I no longer have anxiety attacks over food or lack okf it. I know what is going on and my mind is at ease. Before ... major anxiety attacks.
    I also noticed that the journey cannot be shared with everyone. Folks who don't work out regularly or watch what they eat don't normally get it and see one as being obsessed. It's nice to have a group of people who understand exactly what you are going through and where you are coming from.
    Loving MFP and you folks!
    Happy Monday.
    I agree with you 100% People who are not watching what they eat don't get it, and it nice to know people who do.
  • fitmom125
    Options
    I like MFP because it makes you accountable. You're conscious of what you're eating and you make sure you get your workout in because you know you have to write it down and look at it. Whoever invented this is awesome!

Its true accountablity is the key word. What you put in your mouth you can't blame no one but yourself.
  • jlewis121186
    Options
    i decided that if i was going to let MFP hold me accountable, then i would make it known that i was on a weight loss journey and i would let MFP post to my facebook...that way i am very accountable, and if i start slipping, EVERYONE would know...the embarrassment factor is enough to keep me on track...

now that i am watching what i eat and going to the gym every morning at 5am O.o i feel so much better...just knowing what is in that food that i just ate was enough to bring it to a screeching halt...
  • 6Alsmom
    6Alsmom Posts: 40
    Options
    I would never have had the success I have had so far if not for being faithful to MFP journaling. I've rollercoasted with my weight MANY times but have now finally got it right thanks to MFP!!
  • fitmom125
    Options
    i decided that if i was going to let MFP hold me accountable, then i would make it known that i was on a weight loss journey and i would let MFP post to my facebook...that way i am very accountable, and if i start slipping, EVERYONE would know...the embarrassment factor is enough to keep me on track...

now that i am watching what i eat and going to the gym every morning at 5am O.o i feel so much better...just knowing what is in that food that i just ate was enough to bring it to a screeching halt...

LOL. I know what you mean.