Best use for coconut oil

Options
2»

Replies

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil has MANY uses and many good recipes can be made with it! I bet it would make the best fudge with Justin's Maple Almond butter, or any kind of chocolate fudge, but I've been resisting for the sake of calories x) I mainly use it every morning to make an omelet (half cup of egg whites with one large egg), and it works fantastic since they seem to stick less than when I use butter or other oils, not to mention the slight tropical taste it adds, which I surprisingly adore!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

BF dearest was giving me a back massage and didn't realize how it melted- he took a whole palmful- it was a hot mess.

it melts into a liquid- so yeah- go light at first.

Yeah, it starts as a solid, ends as a stain on your new white sheets that no one really believes is "just coconut oil" :wink: :laugh:

LMAO- fortunately I have no guests over and my cats don't really care what they "really" are or are not... but -yeah -it can leave a greasy mess behind!!!
    We've always used it for hair, but if you don't have curly hair, you're going to end up with heavy, greasy hair where the strands clump together unattractively.
    meh- just use in moderation it's fine- I have very straight (albeit thick hair) and you just have to figure out the right amount you need. Definitely less is more for hair.

And how come everyone is talking about freezer fudge and not a single recipe posted!!!

(yes- I was that lazy to complain :P)

it's okay- I need an afternoon task! TO GOOGLE!!!!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Lotion!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a natural mosquito repellent!

I use it my hair and on my skin also as face/makeup remover.

I don't cook much with it but I do roast yams with it and will mix it in a little warm milk with chocolate for a late night snack/treat!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

BF dearest was giving me a back massage and didn't realize how it melted- he took a whole palmful- it was a hot mess.

it melts into a liquid- so yeah- go light at first.

Yeah, it starts as a solid, ends as a stain on your new white sheets that no one really believes is "just coconut oil" :wink: :laugh:

LMAO- fortunately I have no guests over and my cats don't really care what they "really" are or are not... but -yeah -it can leave a greasy mess behind!!!
    We've always used it for hair, but if you don't have curly hair, you're going to end up with heavy, greasy hair where the strands clump together unattractively.
    meh- just use in moderation it's fine- I have very straight (albeit thick hair) and you just have to figure out the right amount you need. Definitely less is more for hair.

And how come everyone is talking about freezer fudge and not a single recipe posted!!!

(yes- I was that lazy to complain :P)

it's okay- I need an afternoon task! TO GOOGLE!!!!

My recipe is below:

1 cup peanut butter
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    sweetener of choice (I switch between using about 5 packets of truvia, or around 12-20 drops of stevia)

Then I pour into nifty silicone candy molds. Let them freeze for about an hour and then pop them out into a freezer container. Sometimes I'll add 3-5 tbsp of cocoa powder and a little extra sweetener if I am craving chocolate.
  • missycj87
    missycj87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i use it as a moisturizer for my skin and hair. its great stuff :)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    My friend rubs it on her skin. Makes it baby soft!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    be careful about putting it on your face despite what people say it can clog your pores and cause lots of problems

i cannot use it on my face but its fine on my body and sometimes used around my eyes

in hair its good too

cooking with it is okay tastes kind of weird imo
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be ingesting it in its pure form, make sure that you use Unrefined Coconut Oil.