Figuring calories in vegetables in salads...

Options
I am trying to add (to my lunch in the app) all my vegetables to the salad I will be eatnig for lunch today. Some of it is not clear. For example...tomatoes. I will be having a few wedges of tomato (Luby's), but the app does not give you that choice. It gives it to you in "grams." Seems most of the vegetables are kind of hard to figure out on here.

Any suggestions??

Thank you!

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale, and weigh it. If the scale is like mine, it weighs in ounces. I go to google and then plug in the weight from ounces to grams. That is the only way you will get accurate logs.
    Just plugging in your salad items based on amount (ex; three wedges of tomato) will not give you an accurate calorie count, since a wedge is not a universal measurement. If you can't weigh what's in it, guesstimate the best that you can.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    use google :) I just did and discovered there are 22 calories in one medium tomato...after that, just do the math :)
  • Shawman1
    Shawman1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I bought a Biggest Loser digital scale at Target for about $20. You can select ounces or grams and you can reset the tare weight to zero each time you add to a plate or bowl.
  • pastybuns
    Options
    Yep, I have a food scale (got it on sale at Ross for <$20). It sounds like a pain, but if you eat alot of salads, it's pretty easy to pre-make them in tuberwares for the week all at once. Slap a sticky note on them with the #s.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    use google :) I just did and discovered there are 22 calories in one medium tomato...after that, just do the math :)

What she may believe is a medium tomato could be considerably larger. This is why a food scale is best.
  • pastybuns
    Options
    Agree with malibu. Food scale is awesome. However, that being said, if you didn't prepare for a day and forgot to weigh something, were in a rush, etc, etc, don't stress about it.

Vegetables are low in calories and you should never avoid them. So, when you need to, log the tomato as a medium tomato and don't sweat it. :]
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Agree with malibu. Food scale is awesome. However, that being said, if you didn't prepare for a day and forgot to weigh something, were in a rush, etc, etc, don't stress about it.

Vegetables are low in calories and you should never avoid them. So, when you need to, log the tomato as a medium tomato and don't sweat it. :]

This^

When dealing with calorie dense foods....eyeballing means trouble. But tomatoes, cucumbers, celery.....are all low calorie. Be more concerned with the dressing (I keep a coffee scoop in my desk....it's 2 TBL)....the cheese....the croutons....the seeds or nuts.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yeah you should be weighing them if you want to be sure. I weigh everything, including my vegetables in my salad.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Weighing is best.
    But you could also search for the USDA entries in cups & estimate volume.
    Or you could figure that 100g is about 3.3 oz.