Could someone please take a look at my food diary?

Options
I believe it's open to the MFP members; I "should" be eating around 2000 calories to lose weight, but I am at 1450 right now. Is there anything you would recommend cutting out, replacing, adding to my overall diet?
I don't have feelings associated with food so even if the food you want to recommend I add is "gross" tasting but healthy, please recommend it to me! Thank you for your time.

Replies

• hhumphries578
    hhumphries578 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Your food diary looks really good! You seem to enjoy potatoes and sandwiches/wraps. :) I only looked at a few days so....
    It looks to me like you are eating loads of fruit which is always good. Make sure to add in lots of vegetables. For me, I try to eat 1 meal a week that is solely vegetable based (a salad, spinach wrap with turkey and vegetables inside, etc), and then the rest of the days at lunch and dinner half of my plate is vegetables.
    Another thing, make sure you are drinking water!! It's hard at first and will be uncomfortable, but after a week or two your body WILL adjust and you won't be bloated from it anymore. Buy some Crystal Light liquid drops or something, they are delicious and zero calorie! :)
    But your diet looks fine.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why are you averaging 800 calories?? I only went back a week and looked at 4 days but that isn't sustainable long term. I see the last couple of days you were on, and you should keep it this way. There is no food that you need to "cut out", sometimes you may need to moderate things, so you get enough nutrients.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    OPs username worries me.

I'd assume it's her name or initials - mine are my initials. But if her diary is accurate for what has been consumed then she's undereating most of the time for sure.

OP, just eat more of all the foods you already eat, or eat more calorie-dense things like junk food or hgih-fat food to help get in more calories.

Also, consider a food scale to ensure you're eating as much as you should be, and aim to eat 2000. If you don't lose much on that after a fe wmonths, lower it to 1950 and monitor. You also need to be eating back at least 50% of your exercise calories.

ETA: if you got the 2000 number from a TDEE site, understand that MFP uses net calories, meaning energy needs without exercise. TDEE accounts for exercise. So if your net intake is about 1800 based on your MFP goals of 1lb/week (which aligns up more closely to TDEE calculations once you factor in exercise) and you work out about 5 times a week and burn 400 cals each time but eat back about 280 cals each time, you'd be averaging about 2000 calories a day for that week.
  • ana3067
    Options
    OPs username worries me.

I'd assume it's her name or initials - mine are my initials. But if her diary is accurate for what has been consumed then she's undereating most of the time for sure.

That's why I was a bit worried, yeah. OPs profile does also mention an ED.But I didn't want to assume anything or accuse.
    You've got some good advice here OP, best of luck!
    Oh snap it does, didn't even notice that. Hopefully OP is following whatever advice she was given while in treatment, or has at least sought treatment to understand how much she should be eating or at least how to have a healthy relationship to food/weight.
  • queen_ana
    Options
    OPs username worries me.

That's why I was a bit worried, yeah. OPs profile does also mention an ED.But I didn't want to assume anything or accuse.
    You've got some good advice here OP, best of luck!
    Oh snap it does, didn't even notice that. Hopefully OP is following whatever advice she was given while in treatment, or has at least sought treatment to understand how much she should be eating or at least how to have a healthy relationship to food/weight.
    Hi! Yes you're right, it's my name ironically enough it's also my ED diagnosis.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for looking over my foods and it's my TDEE not MFP's calculations. It's just that weight loss is slow compared to former ED status BUT it's worth it more this way, I just wanted to make sure my food diary looks "normal" and healthy. Thank you!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    did someone seriously say to add more "calorie dense foods like junk food"........?

that's just ridiculous. "Junk" foods usually offer no nutritional value, worst advise EVER.

OP can get extra calories in if need be by adding "Healthy" foods and good fats.
  • ana3067
    Options
    did someone seriously say to add more "calorie dense foods like junk food"........?

that's just ridiculous. "Junk" foods usually offer no nutritional value, worst advise EVER.

OP can get extra calories in if need be by adding "Healthy" foods and good fats.

Junk food is fine to eat in moderation when the goal is to lose fat. ALL food is fine in moderation when the goal is to lose fat, and if OP has a hard time eating to her caloric limit then an easy way to do this sometimes is to just have, say, a donut. Or a few cookies. That way if she's not really feeling hungry but has been accurately logging everything and is a few hundred calories short of her goal, then she can eat a cookie and not make herself feel uncomfortably full as it's not high-volume enough.

Calories in and out, dude. Or IIFYM, or flexible eating, or moderation, or "maintaining sanity while losing weight by not restricting the foods you love to eat because fad diets are not worth embarking on when trying to lose weight" (and for me a fad diet is any type of restrictive diet that will not be maintained for life - most people don't wind up maintaining their diet eating habits once they reach goal weight, it's much easier to maintain your eating lifestyle when the only thing that changes is the amount of food you're eating and not the type of food you eat).
  • ana3067
    Options
    Hi! Yes you're right, it's my name ironically enough it's also my ED diagnosis.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for looking over my foods and it's my TDEE not MFP's calculations. It's just that weight loss is slow compared to former ED status BUT it's worth it more this way, I just wanted to make sure my food diary looks "normal" and healthy. Thank you!

It seems that your intake is a bit all over the place - some weeks you're eating a better quantity, others not quite enough. Which TDEE website did you use to calculate? I like scoobysworkshop (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/). If you like to log exercise, then pick sedentary. Otherwise if you don't log exercise but you do work out, then include taht in the calculation. 20% is low enough! Yes, the losses are smaller than if you way undereat, but you will come out much healthier and happier. I think I mentioned this before, but you may want to consider a food scale to weigh most of your foods (plenty of people don't weigh prepackaged foods or prepackaged individual portion stuff, I personally weigh anything prepackaged that's easy to weigh partially out of habit - whatever you do, just BE CONSISTENT!) although if this puts you into some bad ED habits then just measure as you are doing now. But weighing food often lets people see that they have been over- or even under-eating due to over/underestimating portions.

I'd say maybe consider upping your protein target (20-30%) but if you find that you feel too full all the time, then stick to the fat ranges and just eat more carbs. Carbs are a great way to get in more volume and calories but they are not as filling.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    OP, I have two questions for you. I know I may get two different answers. :)

1. What did the doctors/therapists/nutritionists tell you to do?

2. What do you want to do?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    The biggest suggestion I have is your breakfast. If you're not one for a huge breakfast, that's okay. But I'm not a big fan of using protein/Quest bars as a meal for the most part (I will grab a Balance bar if I'm in a big rush, because I need something, but I wouldn't want to make a habit of it). You might find it better to have some whole-grain cereal with milk along with your fruit. Eggs with toast and fruit also make a good breakfast. It's mostly my opinion, but that may help you meet your calorie goals more consistently.

Other than that, I think as long as you focus on mostly nutrient dense foods (yay for fruits and vegetables!) but allow yourself those treats in moderation, you're fine. Don't be afraid of more calorie dense foods, especially those packed with nutrients (full-fat milk, avocado, nuts and nut butters, etc).
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

Junk food is fine to eat in moderation when the goal is to lose fat. ALL food is fine in moderation when the goal is to lose fat, and if OP has a hard time eating to her caloric limit then an easy way to do this sometimes is to just have, say, a donut. Or a few cookies. That way if she's not really feeling hungry but has been accurately logging everything and is a few hundred calories short of her goal, then she can eat a cookie and not make herself feel uncomfortably full as it's not high-volume enough.

Calories in and out, dude. Or IIFYM, or flexible eating, or moderation, or "maintaining sanity while losing weight by not restricting the foods you love to eat because fad diets are not worth embarking on when trying to lose weight" (and for me a fad diet is any type of restrictive diet that will not be maintained for life - most people don't wind up maintaining their diet eating habits once they reach goal weight, it's much easier to maintain your eating lifestyle when the only thing that changes is the amount of food you're eating and not the type of food you eat).

all things in moderation yes-junk food low in fat NO. I never said you can't enjoy ALL foods-but you suggested adding "junk food" which is the most ridiculous advice I have ever heard. We all know we have to occasionally "treat" ourselves so that we can maintain a specific lifestyle or "diet"

but again, you suggested that OP fill her extra calories with junk food-worst advice EVER.

adding in avacado, peanut butter, hummus etc is a much better alternative than adding cookies. High protein high fiber is the key to staying full longer and maintaining muscle mass when losing weight.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating more healthy saturated and monounsaturated fats--butter, coconut oil, olive oil. The veggies and fruit are great, but you aren't going to absorb the nutrients properly without more fat. Fat will also help you get your calories up, and make you feel full longer. DON'T add junk food, you're already getting enough with the lattes and cookies.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Very useful for trying to set calorie and macro targets.
  • queen_ana
    Options
    1. they want me to follow the meal plans we came up with
    2. i want to follow the plans as well

i suppose this might sound weird but the weight loss has become an added benefit, sort of a bonus of eating right. I expected weight gain after I was let out of the clinic 2 years ago bc I did so much serious damage to my body and I was at the point of having to "earn" exercise times and those were few and far in between. The healthy weight loss is a great benefit to being a healthy, normal functioning person. And it's so so so nice to not shiver randomly, lose my hair but grow white ones all over, etc. It's nice to be at a point that plenty of people take for granted. Thank you for your questions! They're great :)
  • queen_ana
    Options
    OP, I have two questions for you. I know I may get two different answers. :)

1. What did the doctors/therapists/nutritionists tell you to do?

2. What do you want to do?

1. they want me to follow the meal plans we came up with
    2. i want to follow the plans as well

i suppose this might sound weird but the weight loss has become an added benefit, sort of a bonus of eating right. I expected weight gain after I was let out of the clinic 2 years ago bc I did so much serious damage to my body and I was at the point of having to "earn" exercise times and those were few and far in between. The healthy weight loss is a great benefit to being a healthy, normal functioning person. And it's so so so nice to not shiver randomly, lose my hair but grow white ones all over, etc. It's nice to be at a point that plenty of people take for granted. Thank you for your questions! They're great :)
  • queen_ana
    Options
    You need to be eating more healthy saturated and monounsaturated fats--butter, coconut oil, olive oil. The veggies and fruit are great, but you aren't going to absorb the nutrients properly without more fat. Fat will also help you get your calories up, and make you feel full longer. DON'T add junk food, you're already getting enough with the lattes and cookies.
    I will try to add the healthy saturated fats and mono's soon; I actually just bought some coconut oil so this is perfectly lining up. I love olive oil but have run out and will need to get some more. Thanks!
  • queen_ana
    Options
    The biggest suggestion I have is your breakfast. If you're not one for a huge breakfast, that's okay. But I'm not a big fan of using protein/Quest bars as a meal for the most part (I will grab a Balance bar if I'm in a big rush, because I need something, but I wouldn't want to make a habit of it). You might find it better to have some whole-grain cereal with milk along with your fruit. Eggs with toast and fruit also make a good breakfast. It's mostly my opinion, but that may help you meet your calorie goals more consistently.

Other than that, I think as long as you focus on mostly nutrient dense foods (yay for fruits and vegetables!) but allow yourself those treats in moderation, you're fine. Don't be afraid of more calorie dense foods, especially those packed with nutrients (full-fat milk, avocado, nuts and nut butters, etc).
    I try to use the Quest bars as more of a snack as they're yummy but lower in calories and very low in sugar (1 gram!) so that I don't "have to" grab something worse if I'm out of options. The issue is also I'm a full time student and running in between, to/from classes really kills time for me (it takes a total of 1 hour to roundtrip the school). I think I will attempt the eggs/toast thing tomorrow morning as I really do need to intake more calories but I am indeed not a fan of big breakfasts. I was thinking of trying that whole "wait til you're hungry" thing but in my past, I've always talked myself out of hunger ie "well take a nap instead, clean your room, you're not REALLY hungry" etc.
    I appreciate your time and advice!
  • frayst
    Options
    I can't get past how you ate an onion for dinner :laugh:

I think you have wonderful eating habits. Lots of fruits and vegetables, lean protein, and grains. You probably have a fabulous immune system. Foods going in are great, it's the amount you should think about though. I agree with the others that you should increase your calorie intake. You should be meeting at least 80% of your TDEE.