Brand new and freaking out a little!

Options
AbbyCar
AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
Hello, I just joined MFP today and I am freaking out a little. I've been exercising and watching what I eat for quite a while now and nothing has happened! I haven't lost any weight. My friends all wonder, as do I, what's going on, as they see me working out, eating salads and forgoing alcohol.
I've never really counted calories, just tried to eat healthy and be mindful of what I put into my body.
Anyway, so I set up an account today. I logged in my breakfast and my dinner, because I wasn't sure what I was having for lunch or snacks. Then I went ahead and logged in the exercise that I'm going to do today (15 minute walk, 20 minute elliptical and 20 strength training). Holy cow, it says that I still have 1,131 calories and 51 grams of fat remaining!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what to eat the rest of the day to fill that up! Honestly I was just going to get a salad for lunch... This is a bit overwhelming for me. Have a really not been eating enough all this time? Any words of encouragement would be great right now.

Abby

Replies

• cmw2011
    cmw2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I usually don't log my exercise until I have all the food posted for the day. You don't necessarily have to replace all the calories the exercise gives back to you. That makes it easier to track.

As far as what to eat, may I suggest adding more protein into your day? That will help you build the muscle you need (and keep it), and will add to your calorie intake. You can also add more things to track on your food diary to include things like protein, salt and fiber. (Or whatever you need to track for yourself).

Even if you don't lose weight right away, just living a healthier lifestyle will make you feel better! Good luck!
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    not eating enough could be your problem. Your body may be in starvation mode and holding on to weight. Make sure you also change up your workouts because your body gets use to the same thing all the time. Muscle confusion is a key element. Make sure your heart rate is in the correct zone for burning fat also. Lot's of things to incorporate but it can happen. Good luck and add me as a friend if you would like. Peggy
  • bugman11
    Options
    Hey AbbyCar,
    Your probably gaining muscle mass while losing body fat. If that's happening then your weight will stay pretty much the same. Don't worry about calories left over. Eat more fiber and you'll fill full longer between meals. That's what I do. Remember...more muscle mass = more fat burn.
  • jennigriff
    Options
    I never eat all the calories I am allowed. I only eat the minimum which is 1200. Sometimes I go over 1200 but not by far. If you eat under 1200 you put yourself into starvation mode which means your metabolism slows down. When this happens it is harder to burn calories. I work out 3 times a week. An hour each time, sometimes 2 and a half if I add a swim. I also walk about a half a mile brisk walk every work out day as that is how far it is from the bus stop to the house. I have lost 11 pounds so far.

Also, I can't stress fiber and water enough!
  • Jo_Bird
    Jo_Bird Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you are under eating in calories your body will just go into starvation mode and hold onto every ounce/ pound of fat it gets instead of burning it. It will take upto a few weeks (atleast for me it did) for your body to realize you actually plan on feeding it. Keep track on your diary and when you go under 1200 calories see what it is that your body is getting too little of - ie; protein?carbs? This is about eating, just eating the right things. I am never hungry anymore. It's amazing that I can eat 20 healthy items that would equal 1 greasy take out burger. If you need a boost in calories a handful of nuts should do the trick. Walnuts and Almonds are good calorie fats. Also, work on boosting your metabolism now with drinking 1/2 your weight in water (ounces) and trying natural metabolism boosters. It is best to make your body work for you even when it's not working. :) Good Luck and welcome to MFP.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    make sure to track sugar and sodium!..