Views on Cutting Calories After Binges

Options
I wanted to see where others are on this issue. Since starting my journey in Aug. 2013, I have never had an all out binge...until the two times this August. Both binges were around 700-1,000 over my calories. (How I can make it a year without a big cheat or binge I will never know!) To "recover" after these binges, I cut calories the next day or two, and do an extra 30 minutes on to my usual work out. I am not talking full on starving myself to any extent. I still stuff my face but with low calorie foods such as loading up on veggies and cutting unnecessary calories. Only cutting around 400 calories (give or take) for a day or two and then going back on my normal calorie deficit.

It got me thinking about what others do to "recover." Do you move on and continue with your normal deficit or do you try to cut here and there to balance the week out? No rude comments, statements, etc. Genuinely curious and want to hear what others do.

Replies

• desidieter
    desidieter Posts: 195
    Options
    I just continue with my normal deficit the day after my binge, and I've still managed to lose weight this way. But I only have hardcore binge days (where I literally eat whatever I want) every once in a while (like maybe once a month?), depending on how my progress is going. I'm sure if I binged more often, this system wouldn't work as well - for me...can't speak for anyone else, obviously.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Just continue the next day with the deficit you've been working at.
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Personally, I just move on.
    I had a bad day calorie wise (cos honestly the food and drink was awesome!!:blushing: ) it happens. I stick to my calories the next day, drink a bit more water and try to do a bit more exercise.
    What is the point of stressing about? This is a life style change you are making, the occasional blow out is going to happen, you need to learn how best to deal with it so you don't feel like you have failed at your "diet".

:flowerforyou:
  • MallieRose91
    MallieRose91 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just continue with my normal deficit the day after my binge, and I've still managed to lose weight this way. But I only have hardcore binge days (where I literally eat whatever I want) every once in a while (like maybe once a month?), depending on how my progress is going. I'm sure if I binged more often, this system wouldn't work as well - for me...can't speak for anyone else, obviously.

I swear, I do not know what has happened to me. I have went a year without a big cheat or binge and get 1 pound from my goal...and then binge not once...but twice in a 3 week period! Very frustrating and I feel guilty so I cut the next day or so.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I think your way of recovering from a binge is exactly the right way to go about it.
    As long as your weekly totals are right, you should do fine.
    You seem to be doing a great job!
    Good luck with getting binges out of your life for good. I know quite a few people
    on MFP are dealing with past and present binge issues.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I wanted to see where others are on this issue. Since starting my journey in Aug. 2013, I have never had an all out binge...until the two times this August. Both binges were around 700-1,000 over my calories. (How I can make it a year without a big cheat or binge I will never know!) To "recover" after these binges, I cut calories the next day or two, and do an extra 30 minutes on to my usual work out. I am not talking full on starving myself to any extent. I still stuff my face but with low calorie foods such as loading up on veggies and cutting unnecessary calories. Only cutting around 400 calories (give or take) for a day or two and then going back on my normal calorie deficit.

It got me thinking about what others do to "recover." Do you move on and continue with your normal deficit or do you try to cut here and there to balance the week out? No rude comments, statements, etc. Genuinely curious and want to hear what others do.

I find that I am often naturally less hungry the day after a binge, so I do end up eating less, but it's not something I plan. And if I exercise more, it's just because I have more time. It happened to me today. I was sick with a cold or something the last few days, and over ate, but today I worked out twice and was about 700 under. It evens out, so no biggie.
  • littlejane91
    Options
    It sounds like you've got it covered! I actually usually have really good workouts the morning after a binge because I've usually eaten so many carbs the previous day... use that fuel to smash some PBs!

It's important not to get into a binge>restrict>binge cycle but cutting your calories a little bit because you don't feel as hungry makes perfect sense. Also don't give yourself a hard time, many people losing fat for fitness competitions use planned "refeed days" regularly where they eat excess calories too!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I try to be more mindful of what I eat the couple days after, but it doesn't always happen.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in cutting calories just for one off day. Better to stick with what you were doing and forget about that day.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I generally cut calories for 1-2 days and then move on.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'd get really guilty and go workout, it wouldn't be what you'd call a "binge", but it felt like it for me. I didn't cut food because I guestimate what I eat, and I must be high balling on my calorie intake cause the weight is falling off me now with no exercise.

A binge like 700 calories would only set you back like 1.5 days on your diet anyway, so it's really not that big of a deal. An overeat of like 2 or 3 days can be problematic though, still wouldn't cut food too much, just go be a little more active; but not too much lol.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I go on my "normal" deficit, but carry mixed feelings of guilt and satisfaction. My caloric overages are usually due to my id getting control of hand-to-mouth reflexes.
  • MallieRose91
    MallieRose91 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I gained 2 or 3 pounds from this weeks "binges." sigh I ended up not cutting calories to make up for them and gained. Back on track today and back to being strict!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

I've learned not to try to "make up" for a binge. I learned that over restricting and over exercising was the CAUSE of my binging. So then when I go the next day and exercise even more or restrict even more to "make up" for the previous day, it just starts the cycle all over again. It's best to just move on.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    These aren't really binges...

But Friday - Sunday I just eat more. I'm more active, I have to have larger meals due to the fact that it's harder to fit in three meals plus snacks in on a busy schedule, plus there's more "unhealthy" foods than what I eat during a normal work week. Because of this I tend to eat low calorie Monday - Wednesday or Thursday and higher calorie the rest of the week. It's not really to MAKE UP for anything - I just find that after eating what I do on the weekend my body just needs LESS. It's not about being strict, or not eating when my body clearly wants to, or suddenly not eating certain foods - it's just about listening to my body the day after I eat more than normal.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Keep your head up. You seriously cannot do that much damage in one week's time. The real danger is getting demotivated and losing your focus on long-term progress. Think on the positive aspects of last week (hopefully you had a good time) and then move forward and focus on your goals for this week (and how you're almost certain to hit your initial goal within a few weeks time :smile:).