why does this happen?

Options
I've been slowly losing weight since September. I do mean slowly, we're talking 10 pounds. But I wasn't really trying to lose weight, I was just attributing it to my walking my daughter to and from school and volunteering in the school library therefore I wasn't boredom eating. Now that I'm actually trying to lose weight and exercising I've gained 2 pounds. It happens every time I am actually trying to lose weight.

Replies

• sssrip
    sssrip Posts: 72
    Options
    In your case I would suggest that if you want to lose weight than stop trying to lose it.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Are you stressed about it? I know sometimes that can contribute. If you are doing any strength training or new routines, they can sometimes make your muscles retain water for awhile. Maybe focus on inches for a month instead of the scale and see what happens. I've gained 1.6 pounds before when I'd done everything right. It was frustrating, but then t he next week I lost 2.2. Sometimes it just takes a couple of weeks for your body to register something new. Good luck to you! Don't give up!
  • Mvaval77
    Options
    I am right there with you. So, I ditto what everyone else is saying. Focus on inches and don't stress over it. Good luck.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    when you start working out your muscles store water to aid in recovery and to protect them, this can increase your weight, but don't fret it is just water and once you get use to the exercises your body will shed this excess water.
  • katzplay62
    Options
    If, when you're *trying* to lose weight, you radically cut your calories right from the start you may be kicking your body into starvation mode. Minimum daily calories for women should be in the 1200-1400 range (men 1500-1700). Much less than that then your body thinks it's in trouble and will do its best to hang onto every ounce of energy (fat) it can.

What kind of calories you eat is almost as important as how many. Are you going low-fat? High protein/low carb? Vegetarian? What ever, the best thing you can do is eliminate refined white foods: bread, rice, potatoes, sugars, etc. Those are calorie- and carb-dense foods that screw with your blood sugar and often trigger cravings and/or binges with lots of people.

Good luck.

Kat
  • violetgirl12
    Options
    You may have replaced fat with muscle growth if you've been active, muscle weighs more than fat,
    also check your measurements, may be a drop there. Though sometimes when your consciously dieting you can think about food more, try and not look at it as a diet (which are usually temporary) but as a life change, which lets you replace bad habits with good, finally it will be come natural. Talking to myself here as much as you :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You may have replaced fat with muscle growth if you've been active, muscle weighs more than fat,
    also check your measurements, may be a drop there. Though sometimes when your consciously dieting you can think about food more, try and not look at it as a diet (which are usually temporary) but as a life change, which lets you replace bad habits with good, finally it will be come natural. Talking to myself here as much as you :)

Not likely, it takes months to build 2 lbs of muscle and is very difficult on a caloric deficit.
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    1 week does not a trend make, and 2 pounds is well within the standard error for water retention or muscle mass increase. If you are convinced you are doing the right things, look at 3 week trends to make sure you are going in the right direction. It's also somewhat useful to get a scale that will tell you readings like water weight and %fat. They aren't pin-point accurate, but give some hint where the weight could have come from.