Heart Pounding Long after I Finish my Run

Options
My heart slows down from the more intense part of the run, but for up to an hour after I finish I can still feel it pounding in my chest. I do a 5 minute cool down walk and stretch, but still it seems like my heart rate is elevated...

Is this bad? Good? Normal?

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say - not normal and probably not good, but I have no idea how bad. Is it possible that you're just more aware of your normal heartbeat after a run? How high of a heart rate are we talking here? And what's your heart rate like on a day you don't run?
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You should definitely see your doctor ASAP! It is possible you have an undiagnosed health condition that your doctor will be able to assist you with.
  • AngelaRoberta
    AngelaRoberta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That is really not typical of a run. I believe it could be an indication you might be working at too high of a level for you, but I suggest you talk to your doctor to be sure. It's possible you have an undiagnosed condition.

I have had that happen once- it was when I first started running. I hadn't be active for years and ran a 5k on a whim- without training for it. When I finished, I felt like I needed to puke and my heart was still racing 20 minutes later. But now that I train properly, stretch, warm up, cool down, ect., I don't have that. Now, my heart is usually slowed to normal by the time I'm done with my cool down.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    If you don't think it's alarming enough to see your doctor for, yet - you could always try hydrating a little? I know hydration affects blood pressure, and I find it plausible that heart rate would be affected also. Talking to a doctor is probably not a horrible idea, either. I'd tell you not to take advice from random strangers on the internet, but it seems kind of ironic.