Protein Powders for Smoothies

Options
neelia
neelia Posts: 750 Member
Hey ya'll!

My super fantabulous mother bought my husband and I a blender that's very similar to a Magic Bullet (isn't she awesome!?) last night. I had told her a while back that I wanted one to make breakfast smoothies with.

So, I went to Walmart and looked for protein powders and the only ones I could find were Whey Protein powders that were all flavored about about 180 calories per scoop.

Is this normal? As in, are there protein powders available that are not flavored that I can put into a breakfast smoothie with almond milk, 1/2 a banana, and berries?

Replies

• kalebsmama07
    Options
    bump =) i also wanna know is that normal for calories ect..
  • sweetsexy43
    sweetsexy43 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a protein powder i got from The Vitamin Shoppe and the scoop was only 90 calories..the flavor is Strawberry Kiwi..it is delicious. Im at work now..but when i get the name i will post it.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Bump---I am interested too!!! I cant see using like 200 cals on just a scoop of something LOL
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I use GNC brand Wheyabolic extreme 60 and it is only 93 calories a scoop. Its chocolate flavor and is delicious with milk and bananas as a shake.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    180 is kind of high, but not too bad. Shop around, sometimes the lower you go in calories the lower the protein is as well. I use Nitrean from http://www.atlargenutrition.com. It has 109 calories, 1g of fat, and 23g of protein.

I've never seen a non-flavored one, but usually you can get a vanilla that will blend in with the milk and fruit so you can't taste the vanilla anymore.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb protein powder.

It is all natural, tastes great and is sweetened with Stevia, not sugar or splenda.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I use optimum nutrition 100% gold standard whey protein in extreme chocolate milk. It has 130 calories per scoop and 24 g of protein (few carbs). No funky texture and it is actually quite filling after my morning work outs (easy too). Optimum nutrition makes a taste-less protein powder but I've never tried it nor do I know how many calories it has. bodybuilder.com has more info on this brand and others. Good luck.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i love jay robb egg white one i would die with out
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I have one I got from Walmart

Jillian Michaels Vanilla Whey protein
    100 per scoop and 15 grams of fiber per scoop!

Also I have
    Herbalife Vanilla'for 2 scoops it's 110 cal.
    15 grams protein
  • DKirkcon
    Options
    I buy mine from www.unjury.com it's medical quailty protein powder that is made with whey protein isolate and soy lecithin. It comes in unflavored, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry sorbet, and even chicken soup flavored. I love them because I can use them in both hot or cold liquids. So I can mix the chocolate with my coffee in the morning for a cafe mocha taste, and then have another one later on in the day in a fruit smoothie with either the vanilla, unflavored or strawberry sorbet flavors. Each scoop is around 80 calories and packs 20grams of protein.
  • kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    Options
    Check the serving size as well. Many protein powders give nutritional info for TWO scoops. The average woman would only need one. :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress is from Walmart and its 140 calories. It is on the high side of calories but delicious and about 26g protein. It’s $19 Cdn for 2lbs which is ok but not great (awesome compared to GNC products though of course) but I recently bought Healthy Planet (store brand) for $29 for 5lbs with 123 calories 27g of protein so that was an even better deal.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I think 180 is high. I would say those are muscle builder shakes. If you want weight loss they should be around 110 to 120 a scoop for meal replacement and protein enhancement. I use amplify from gnc around 120 a scoop. I use the chocolate and put in some peanut butter and its awesome. I personallt like the protein in egg whites. Just my opinion
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    I love Juice Plus Complete. It is a good source of over 15 vitamins and minerals.
  • RobLangford
    Options
    I use PHd diet whey as a meal replacement when training and a quick breakfast but I wouldn't be mixing with anything apart from water. Try searching online for MonsterSupplements for a plain whey isolate protein if thats what your after. But its more to support an active training regime where you need the high protein and carbs without the fat etc. and if your training the 200 calories shouldn't make a huge difference

The specs on the phd are:
    NUTRITIONAL SPECIFICATION

PER 100G PER 50G (2 scoops) PER 25G (1 scoop)
    Energy
    1608kj / 386kcal 804kj/193kcal 402kj/96.5kcal
    Protein
    70G 35G 17.5G
    Carbohydrate
    12.5G 6.25G 3.12G
    Sugars
    4.06G 2.03G 1.01G
    Fats
    6.15G 3.07G 1.53G
    Of which Saturates
    2.2G 1.1G 0.55G

Of which CLA
    1000MG 500MG 250MG
    Of which Flax oil
    1200MG 600MG 300MG
    Dietary Fibre
    3G 1.5G 0.75G
    Sodium
    0.38G 0.19G 0.95G

PhD Iso-Tone 4- Containing
    CLA Powder
    1500MG 750MG 375MG
    Flaxseed Powder
    3000MG 1500MG 750MG
    Green Tea Extract
    400mg 200MG 100MG
    Acetyl L-Carnitine
    500mg 250MG 125MG
  • tneeland
    tneeland Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have the same as Jackie70
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    Morning ya'll,

Would love to have you add me as a buddy, the more the merrier and I leave a daily health tip of the day for inspiration.

Hard pressed to find a protein powder with no flavors. However the calories are well spent because without the protein your body's muscle mass will break down. I can say that I use two different ones for different reasons. You can't beat Costco's Muscle Milk brand with 100% whey either in Vanilla or Chocolate. 140 calories and only 20 from fat. You get 2 months supply for $32 best price and best taste. I use this every 3 hours if I am on the go and can't find time to eat my food proteins.

Now for the best best best product I believe in with all my heart for nutrition, my liquid gold. I will lead you to a site that will tell you much more about it. There is a way to get 25% off as well as even earn your product for free. I started this 2 months ago and believed in it so much I went from buying it wholesale to now I share it with all that want to feel better.

This is what the highly nutritional and natural meal replacement shake has done for me so far: I'm down to a weight that I haven't seen in 20 years, I no longer need or crave my coffee or sweets, and I have sustained energy all day long along with sleeping like a baby with no more depression due to the balance of b vitamins. It lowers cholesterol, fights heart disease, and is gluten free for those with diabetes.

Your welcome to have a look at what it can do for you below. Has a bottom of the bag guarantee if it doesn't do what they say you can send it back bone dry and they will refund you your money back.

www.myshakeology.com/colleenlinder
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I use GNC brand Wheyabolic extreme 60 and it is only 93 calories a scoop. Its chocolate flavor and is delicious with milk and bananas as a shake.

On days that I need to drink protein powder, I drink this same powder. It's delicious.
  • RGRILLO14
    RGRILLO14 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HELLO
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein Whey Powder. Jillian Michaels is on the label. 110 cals, 27 g protein, 4 g carbs.
    Love it....

I prefer the vanilla but the chocolate isn't bad. Need to go whip one up :)