Save Me From Myself

Options
Help, I can't stop gaining weight. I have no health issues, it's caused by my compulsive overeating. I just weighed myself today and I'm at my highest ever. I'm up 30 pounds from last year! Is there anyone out there who is starting over today? I counted calories and exercised last year and lost 30 pounds, but have since gained them all back. I know I have it in myself to do this, at least I think I do. I'd love some new "pals" who are starting out or starting over like I am.

Replies

• Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've been on here since April 2013 but just 'restarted' my ticker (lost 25lbs up until July 1 2014)... I need to loose another 25lbs - feel free to add me...
  • Hi. This is my second day. I would love to lose 50# but it seems so daunting. But I'm ready to do this
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but until you tackle your compulsive overeating, you will lose and re-gain weight over and over again. It's not just about a temporary diet "fix", but about learning new ways of coping with your feelings without using food. Talking to a psychologist who is trained in treating EDs, going to a support group, joining OA, reading books about emotional eating, etc. will all help you to help yourself.

Most people know how to follow a diet for a short period of time to lose weight. There are fewer people who take the time to learn how to have a healthier relationship with food that lasts a lifetime. I'm on my way to being in the latter group after being in the former group for most of my life.

Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You have to save yourself!

ETA Make changes that are sustainable. If you don't see yourself following your diet in 2 years, give or take a few hundred calories, then you're going to put the weight right back on. Same with exercise.
  • bluespidermonkey
    bluespidermonkey Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I feel for you honey, i am in the same boat - I started this week when i weighed in at my heaviest weight ever in my life. I am not doing any crazy 1200 calorie a day thing because i would last 5 minutes, but i am logging everything i eat, setting a calorie deficit limit, making conscious choices, moving more and focusing on the goal. I think It is never out of your grasp to change these things, you just have to want it and commit to small but reasonable changes that you can maintain. We can do this.
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yes, I feel your pain.
    I am on my 20th day of starting over. I was very sucessfull before and was sure that I had it under control -then my life went haywire. I hung on for a long time then just lost all control. I wont bore you with the details but my friends all say they dont know how I got through it all...anyway...
    So far, so good.
    I LOVE to eat..love it. I could eat all day, and now I do, but its carefully planned. Thats what helped me lose 65lbs before.
    Good luck..if your head is in the right place you will be golden!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I agree with another, get some support with over eaters anonymous, and turn your current weight loss journey into a lifetime success, by changing your mind to looking at food differently.

You can do this.
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I understand your pain. For some of us, we have to always watch what we eat or we will gain weight. I lost 30 pounds in 2012 and slowly put back 20 pounds of it in a year's time. The minute I get confident and think I've got this and stop weighing and watching what I eat, the weight starts creeping back on. Just this weekend, I became relaxed and overdid it at parties and barbeques eating sweets and carbs that I would normally not eat. I gained 5 pounds in 3 days! The difference is that I tracked this food and was aware that I was overeating and got right back on program today. It will take me a couple of days to get it off, but when you aren't logging, it is easy just to keep eating until your clothes don't fit anymore. You know what to do and you can do it. Sending a friend request. We can motiviate each other.
  • heart2health
    heart2health Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I restarted 37 days ago.

Had been on MFP awhile ago and then I got to busy at work to log in all the food I was eating (especially while travelling). Needless to say, things started going haywire and my weight went back up. I'm in this for the long run this time as now I know that getting and more importantly keeping the weight off is the only way that I'll see my children grow up.

Feel free to add me if you like.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Change your "I can't lose weight" to "I can lose weight, because..."

Finish that sentence.
  • Whitnit809
    Whitnit809 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouraging words. I know I need to change my relationship with food and find out whatever it is that is causing me to binge eat. It's nice to know I'm not alone and I already feel a little bit stronger today to resist overeating.
    Hugs!!
    Whitni
  • Whitnit809
    Whitnit809 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Also, it's true--only I can save myself from myself. Thank you for the new friend requests, you guys are awesome. I already feel more hopeful!
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do this and overcome your food issues...I did it. If I can do it, anyone can. I am a major emotional eater. I eat when I'm sad, happy, stressed, you name it. I realized that to be successful I would have to retrain myself to use food as fuel and not a coping method for my feelings. I have been sorely tested the last couple of months due to a stressful health situation with my husband. Some days it takes all my willpower not to bury my face in the nearest fatty foods, but I know that will only hurt me and I can't take care of those around me if I don't take care of myself. It took lots of time, but I finally feel like I have taken the steps I needed to in order to get myself healthy and stay there. I've been working at this for 2 full years, but I've come a long way. You can do it too!!
  • joycelreed
    joycelreed Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 and have gained 25 back... Started again last week. I'm looking for a pal too. If you are interested in daily encouragement I'd love to be your pal. I'm not looking for a lot of pals I can't keep up with - just one.....
  • mskarak80
    Options
    Sounds just like me...feel free to add me. I'm starting over this week, too.
  • Chjimb_74
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I am on day 80 of starting over and have lost 30lb so far.
    Together we can do this
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Control yourself. Moderation and self control is like any muscle, it only gets strong if you exercise it. Start now.

If you feel you have an actual problem, seek help from a professional and get that taken care of.
  • lenzylamb
    lenzylamb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I requested you as a friend!!! I would love "Pals" also!!
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain - completely. I lost a lot of weight over the past 4 years and then just stopped - still about 20 pounds short of my ultimate goal. Now I'm 10 pounds over that and need to get rid of 30. Meh.

I've only recently admitted to myself that I have binge eating behavior. I don't know if my relationship with food will ever be "normal", whatever that is, but I'm working on it. Each day is a new day!

I'll send you a request.

Jodi