Vitamins make me sick. What am I doing wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I can't wake Women's One-A-Day. I switched to Meijer store brand adult gummy vitamins. For awhile I thought I was pregnant because I kept throwing up (seemingly) randomly. However, I kept a log of everything I consumed and I only puked when I had the WOmen's One-A-Day.
    Sometimes its something like too much iron, sometimes its something that is used to hold the pill together that can upset someone's stomach. Who knows.
    It's also possible that if you are eating a well balanced diet with lots of nutrients you're already getting the vitamins you need and may still be overdosing on some of the vitamins and that is making you sick. I did a lot of research when mine made me sick.

Sorry if this repeats what others said, I didn't read all the comments.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Take it at the end of the day. I get majorly nauseated if I take them in the morning

this- I forget to take them at night- so I was taking them in the AM- even if I ate- and popped one 5 minutes later- it wasn't enough- I had to eat wait- then take the pills... now I just don't take them but if I did- it would be gummy ones.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Flinstone vitamins ftw! Easier to digest.
    Take it at the end of the day. I get majorly nauseated if I take them in the morning

this- I forget to take them at night- so I was taking them in the AM- even if I ate- and popped one 5 minutes later- it wasn't enough- I had to eat wait- then take the pills... now I just don't take them but if I did- it would be gummy ones.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Multis make me barf. I switched to gummies, but now I don't even take them at all. If I am feeling particularly "deficient" I drink an emergenc.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I call it the vita-voms. I get sick when I take my multi too early in the morning (stomach is finnicky) or without eating enough first. Try taking later in the day after eating. Set an alarm if you have trouble remembering.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Same here--the cheap vitamins I could get from work upset my stomach.
    I thought gummies were the answer, but they're lacking a lot of the minerals you find in regular multivitamins.

I read the labels and noticed that children's chewables at Costco are exactly the same as the adult chewables, but cheaper. Problem solved!
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    My guess is that your vitamin has a lot of fillers that are making you sick. I used to take the Women's One-a-Day and it didn't matter if I had a full stomach I felt like I was going to vomit after I took it. After switching to a more expensive vitamin with zero fillers I have no issues taking them regardless if I have eaten or not.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Prenatal vitamins did that to me. Full stomach, empty stomach, time of day didn't matter. When I told the OB/GYN about it, he prescribed a chewable multi-vitamin, which worked great.

+1 to Flintstones!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My guess is that your vitamin has a lot of fillers that are making you sick. I used to take the Women's One-a-Day and it didn't matter if I had a full stomach I felt like I was going to vomit after I took it. After switching to a more expensive vitamin with zero fillers I have no issues taking them regardless if I have eaten or not.

What brand do you use now?
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Not all multi-vitamins are the same. Stick with a better brand since there's really not much if any control on what goes into the lower grade ones. Who knows what's in them as fillers besides the listed ingredients? There are several ways to formulate a vitamin or mineral to make it stable to include in a pill. Some formulations are cheaper and others may cost a bit more but get better absorbed.

That said, take them before bed and not in the morning. Between an empty stomach, increased stomach acid, coffee, and whatever, taking them in the morning often causes aftertastes and nausea for a lot of people.

And, it should be obvious, but getting your vitamins and minerals from food is preferred and better absorbed and you don't run the risk of taking too much of the fat soluble ones, like you can with supplements. Supplementing a bad diet with vitamins is still a bad diet if it's lacking in protein, essential fats, fiber, etc... Supplements are good insurance to get all of your micronutrients, but if you have a decent diet, then you don't need 100% of everything in your multi-vitamin. The ones I take are two pills per serving, so I only take one since that gives me enough of everything, but not too much.
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem - I would vomit every time I took a vitamin. I tried different brands, taking at different times of the day and taking in with a variety of different food but nothing worked.

I take the chewable Centrum Complete now and I have no issues what so ever.
  • chainsawrx
    chainsawrx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I made a video about another solution because I have a similar problem. Its cheaper than the gummies and one issue with the gummies is they take a lot of stuff out of it because of limitations to that particular formulation. I hope you like it!

https://youtu.be/HfqgiEdA7ZE
  • TeresaB12345
    TeresaB12345 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue but am anemic and need the iron - I cut them in half and just take half a day and try to also eat some iron rich foods.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Necro thread - revived by someone with something to sell...
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Don't supplement iron unless directed by your doctor. It's easy to overdose. My sister did.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Iron tablets are notorious for makeing people feel sick.

Vitamin supplementation in general is only benefitial if you have a deficiency; your body won't do anything exciting with any extras other than excrete them (mostly in urine).

If a doctor hasn't prescribed/recommended the vitamins and iron tablets for medical reason, don't take them if they are disagreeing with you.

If they have been prescribed or recommended by your doctor let them know the reaction you are having. They may want to adjust the dose.