Please help me avoid the donuts.

Options

Replies

• SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You just made me want a doughnut in the middle of my workday. EVIL!

Seriously though, doughnuts are usually not worth it, calorie wise. Good luck.
  • AuroraD82
    AuroraD82 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! Hope this helps!
    Donuts are made out of processed white flours that turn straight into sugar in the body, on top of that they are full of sugar too! Double jeopardy of sugar, just empty calories that will not nourish your body. Donuts will blow your calorie budget. If you eat the donut your body will go into overdrive. You will still be hungry after having a donut because there are not any actual nourishing things in it. Donuts are high calorie and low nutrient. Donuts are not actually that good, they are usually all stale and dried out from sitting in that box.
  • colibri23
    colibri23 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Unless they are apple fritters, then probably not worth it. If there is an apple fritter, then have one for me :wink:

QFT
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Donuts are only awesome right away.

With every minute they increase in dryness, staleness...

The glaze gets harder.

The grease sinks heavier.

No. Donuts are worth it. But only the first hour.

Then they become questionable.

Plus they're so sugary, the fumes stick in your sinuses until you can feel the sugar fumes. Migraine trigger time. (For me anyway)

Just don't ask me to try to talk you down from pie or cookies. Not happening.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    Options
    Donuts are only awesome right away.

With every minute they increase in dryness, staleness...

The glaze gets harder.

The grease sinks heavier.

No. Donuts are worth it. But only the first hour.

Then they become questionable.

Plus they're so sugary, the fumes stick in your sinuses until you can feel the sugar fumes. Migraine trigger time. (For me anyway)

Just don't ask me to try to talk you down from pie or cookies. Not happening.

This is so true! It's why mini donuts are the bane of my existence. You buy them minutes or seconds after they're brought into this world. Donut shop ones are no where near as appetizing.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,677 Member
    Options
    My workplace is like this all of the time. See if you can move them out of sight. If I end up partaking I break off a tiny bite size portion for a taste. This way you are forced to think if it is really worth going back for a second or third bite.
  • RAWR1202
    Options
    Aren't donuts the things that taste like eating a washing sponge that was accidentally dropped into the deep fryer after being used to clean the cake stand?

You could try and concentrate on work like you probably ought to. Or, if there isn't much to do, go download yourself an app or game on your phone and use it to distract yourself.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    it's easy for me because donuts make me ill. all that sugar fries my stomach and leaves me feeling worse than my worst hangover. :sick:

however, if they can spare a blueberry bagel with cream cheese...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Send them my way
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just chew as many as you want and spit them back into the box. Now you're getting a taste treat with virtually no cals and helping your coworkers not to want any either.
  • AndyRogan
    AndyRogan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Add in your meals for the rest of the day, down to each snack, then decide if you would rather:

a: eat a donut and put weight on, feel depressed about it the rest of the day/week
    b: eat a donut, skip a meal since you have no spare calories for it and be hungry all day
    c: skip the donut, feel amazing, look amazing and feel proud that you said no
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    When something like that happens to me I log it before I eat it. Sometimes when I see the calorie content I suddenly don't want it anymore. Or, sometimes I'll see that I can totally fit it into my day and go ahead and have it.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your comments! i made it through the day without so much as a nibble. and there were still some left today, but i still refrained! :)
  • qstneverything
    qstneverything Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    These comments were great, my university constantly offers free food usually high in sugar/fat and it's always so hard to resist!
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am a huuuuuge donut fan. Put a donut anywhere near me, and I'll eat it. Like, go into a gas station or grocery store, come within 15 feet of a donut and I'll buy it, even if it's stale.

What I've done now is limit myself to a delicious, freshly baked donut or 2 on the weekend. When I see a donut any other time, I instead look forward to the still warm cake donut I'll get to enjoy on Sunday morning. Delaying the gratification allows me to plan my indulgences so that I can fit them in, rather than shun and avoid them all together. So far, 60 lbs lost on a donut a week, so it's working for me.

Ugh, you've got me DROOLING over the notion of a cake doughnut now! I used to go to the local Krispy Kreme with my grandparents and they'd get me a cake doughnut, I still remember eating a cake doughnut with a big glass of milk at their kitchen table. Memories. :)
  • AuroraD82
    AuroraD82 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Fantastick!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I worked somewhere that there were donuts out every single morning. I got sick of seeing them just waiting for people to grab one so every few hours I would grab one and secretly throw it away. I swear I did this. Nobody ever noticed. Just bring in your own snacks and don't look at them if you can or grab one every few hours and do what I do. They will sit there all day cuz everyone is trying to avoid them. I promise you that. I had to learn this myself. Don't think of it as wasting, think of it as saving yourself and your coworkers. :laugh: :drinker:
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Aren't donuts the things that taste like eating a washing sponge that was accidentally dropped into the deep fryer after being used to clean the cake stand?

You could try and concentrate on work like you probably ought to. Or, if there isn't much to do, go download yourself an app or game on your phone and use it to distract yourself.

^^THIS is NOT what Donuts are...LOL a still warm pumpkin cake donut is a beautiful thing..don't judge :tongue: I just don't eat them if I can't make them fit.
  • DanZiehm
    DanZiehm Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Last year, I was at a large grocery store that had a self-serve donut area in the bakery. I saw a little kid walk up, open the glass doors to the donuts, pick up one donut, LICK IT, and then put it back on the shelf. From then on, I became very picky about where I get my donuts from!
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I worked somewhere that there were donuts out every single morning. I got sick of seeing them just waiting for people to grab one so every few hours I would grab one and secretly throw it away. I swear I did this. Nobody ever noticed. Just bring in your own snacks and don't look at them if you can or grab one every few hours and do what I do. They will sit there all day cuz everyone is trying to avoid them. I promise you that. I had to learn this myself. Don't think of it as wasting, think of it as saving yourself and your coworkers. :laugh: :drinker:

As someone who frequently doles out my own money to treat my employees, whether it be donuts, lunch, or a healthy snack, maybe approaching the person who brings them and talking to them about how no one wants them and they are going to waste would be a better solution. If you look at it from a different perpspective, like if you took the time and money to bring in something to treat the office and found someone was throwing it away just to get rid of it, you would consider it rude. Best policy is to just leave it be or have a conversation.

I often bring in veggie trays or fruit trays instead of donuts simply because after speaking with my employees, that was the general consensus on what they would like to have in the office for snacks. The person bringing donuts to your office may not realize no one wants them, especially if they are disappearing...they may think they are getting eaten. Just a thought..:smile::flowerforyou:

Edit: for mistakes