Confused...help?

Options
So I've been dieting and exercising for about two weeks, today starts my third week of exercise...I've lost between 8-11lbs. I measured myself at the beginning and again yesterday, and thought maybe I was doing something wrong because the measurements were bigger yesterday. Also my pants feel tighter today than usual. WTH?? Anyone know why this might be? How am I losing lbs but clothes feel tighter??

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Replies

• DeziG
    DeziG Posts: 5
    Options
    Could be your where you are in your cycle and water weight gain. You've lost quite a bit for just two weeks. Focus on your success and more will follow! Keep up the good work, you can't loose for trying. Good luck.
  • urnewbuddee
    urnewbuddee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You may be losing weight in other areas, like your legs and your arms or even in your face. Also, you might be gaining muscle mass. The tight pants might be from water weight or another kind of bloating. I've felt the same problem. I've lost 8 lbs in the past 3 weeks and my pants still seem to be fitting me normally, some days they even feel a little snug. I did look at myself in the mirror and noticed my face had gotten a little smaller, and my arms seem to be fitting in my jacket better.

You lose weight all over your body and some measurements can stay the same for a while, while others seem to continue to shrink. Everyone loses in different areas first, but the belly is usually the last to go. You never know, you could have lost weight in your feet and hands! haha
  • sippy01
    sippy01 Posts: 20
    Options
    You could be retaining water, the foods you have eaten could have had a lot of sodium, or it could be your monthly cycle. If you are doing sit ups or anything like that for your abs you cold be doing them wrong. I know for along time I was doing my sit ups the wrong way, and can mess up how your muscles form in your stomach area!! Don't know if that helps any!
  • jennigriff
    Options
    It could be something so simple as water retention to just plain old bloating. If it's time for your monthly visitor this would explain a lot.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I have this "issue" as well. I'm starting 5th week, I've lost 8 lbs, feel a million times better, feel MUCH stronger and seeing some toning and can definitely SEE a difference - but my measurements have actually increased and pants are tighter.

I believe it has a lot to do with the exercise, for me. From past experience, I tend to build a lot of muscle quite quickly when I exercise at all (I'd look like Arnie if I did much weight lifting). But it takes time for that muscle to start burning fat - so I still have a lot of the fat AND have increased muscle. I had SO little exercise previously that I really had NO muscle mass - so it's building. So in some places I'm actually bigger.

As others mentioned, for you it may be bloating/water retention, as well. I'm past TOM, so I know that isn't it for me. Might monitor your sodium & water intake.

I try not to worry about it and just keep working hard and eating well. I can see with my own two eyes that everything is improving, so I'm just trying to be patient and give it all time to adjust.

Good luck!
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone! It's not that TOM for me, so I know it's not that. I guess it could just be bloating, but I don't like it!! LOL I don't think I'm losing it from other places because I'm measuring everywhere pretty much (neck, bust, stomach, waist, hips, biceps, thighs and calves.) I'm going to ask my trainer about it tonight, maybe he can offer some more insight too!! I'm hoping it's just building muscles. I've been doing a lot of strength training, so that would kind of make sense, I guess!