Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Plateaus

What would you guys list as the top reasons that someone might plateau? I've lost 18 pounds but still have a bunch to loose, however, lately I've been going up two pounds, then down to pounds. Never more, never less. What is the most likely reasons this might be happening? I've been eating 13-15 hundred calories, drinking water regularly but not exercising much due to my hectic, ever changing schedule. Could it be lack of exercise? I just assumed eating 1300 calories would still allow me to loose weight.

And just in general, I'd be interested in learning your opinions on the top reasons people stop loosing weight or don't lose weight.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Eating at maintenance is the reason people plateau. Make sure your calorie counts are accurate. You'd be losing weight if you were eating 1300 calories a day.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Check your activity levels, that can make a difference and as the above posted mentioned your food portions could be off. I'd suggest taking a good look at the numbers and make it a point to take a few minutes a day to yourself even if it's just a 15 minute walk, you deserve the time away from reality.
  • Maltesers23
    Maltesers23 Posts: 15 Member
    Plateaus are soooooo cruel! :mad:
    I've been on the same number since the past 5-6 weeks and I'm doing everything (eating vegetables, drinking 3 lts of water, 2-3 cups of green tea, calorie intake of 1400 & have cut down sugar) but this weight does not seem to go! :(

Your weight fluctuations might be if your periods are due...usually the weight gain during periods varies between 0.5 kg to 2 kgs.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Well, I have lost 18 pounds doing exactly what I am doing now. The only difference is once my doctor increased my medication I have been having digestive issues going back and forth between diarrhea and constipation. Could these digestive issues have any impact on it?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Well, I have lost 18 pounds doing exactly what I am doing now. The only difference is once my doctor increased my medication I have been having digestive issues going back and forth between diarrhea and constipation. Could these digestive issues have any impact on it?

Yes it can.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Of course they could! If you're constipated your weight would be up due to the excess waste in your system. Think of it this way - if you normally weigh before you eat and then decide to weigh after dinner one time - of course it's going to be higher because of the food in your body. Until you get the meds under control, I wouldn't invest too much concern in your weigh ins. Just keep eating within your calorie goal. Hope you get it figured outsoon!

Also, regarding your question, there is also the factor of what a true plateau is - IMHO, it's 4-6 weeks without ANY loss. If it's been 2 or 3 weeks, that could be water retention due to increased exercise, hormone fluctuations or more sodium in your diet. Medications and illnesses can definitely cause fluctuations as well. It's all connected - not just diet and execise.
    True plateaus (at least 4 weeks) are usually due to problems with logging. You're not being consistent or you're not being as accurate as you think - guesstimating portions, not measuring or weighing.

And you're right, you can definitely lose weight with just a calorie deficit. Exercise is good for your health though so do try to get some in when you can. It doesn't have to be anything strenuous - just go for a walk or something.
  • The list is almost unlimited as to what could cause a plateau, you can also plateau from not eating enough calories cause your body is trying to hold on to everything you eat to keep from going into starvation mode. Your metabolism also slows down if your eating the same amount of calories everyday your body becomes accustomed to it. I would try to change up a few things and see what works for you. This is always gonna be trial and error, what worked to help you lose that 18 pounds may not be working any more. You have to constantly adjust and readjust throughout this journey.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    The list is almost unlimited as to what could cause a plateau, you can also plateau from not eating enough calories cause your body is trying to hold on to everything you eat to keep from going into starvation mode. Your metabolism also slows down if your eating the same amount of calories everyday your body becomes accustomed to it. I would try to change up a few things and see what works for you. This is always gonna be trial and error, what worked to help you lose that 18 pounds may not be working any more. You have to constantly adjust and readjust throughout this journey.

Sorry, but this ^^ is just full of NO. No to starvation mode, NO to "body becomes accustomed to the same number of calories". You must WEIGH and measure and track very accurately to continue losing. Frankly, it's easier when you first start but as weight comes off you must be more precise and pay attention.

(P.S. - my ticker don't lie! Accurately logging and weighing food works!)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    1 - underestimating intake/overestimating burn.

2 - just generally getting a little sloppy...not logging everything...cheating...closet eating...general inconsistency...quick adds rather than actuals, etc

3 - change in activity level

4 - hormones

5 - fluid retention and waste
  • The list is almost unlimited as to what could cause a plateau, you can also plateau from not eating enough calories cause your body is trying to hold on to everything you eat to keep from going into starvation mode. Your metabolism also slows down if your eating the same amount of calories everyday your body becomes accustomed to it. I would try to change up a few things and see what works for you. This is always gonna be trial and error, what worked to help you lose that 18 pounds may not be working any more. You have to constantly adjust and readjust throughout this journey.

Sorry, but this ^^ is just full of NO. No to starvation mode, NO to "body becomes accustomed to the same number of calories". You must WEIGH and measure and track very accurately to continue losing. Frankly, it's easier when you first start but as weight comes off you must be more precise and pay attention.

Yeah well you need to do some more research I have lost 92 pounds total, and have plateaued on occasion for that very reason, and I also measure and weigh everything I put in my mouth. And if your not fueling your body enough your body will stop burning fat . Like I said do your research!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    The list is almost unlimited as to what could cause a plateau, you can also plateau from not eating enough calories cause your body is trying to hold on to everything you eat to keep from going into starvation mode. Your metabolism also slows down if your eating the same amount of calories everyday your body becomes accustomed to it. I would try to change up a few things and see what works for you. This is always gonna be trial and error, what worked to help you lose that 18 pounds may not be working any more. You have to constantly adjust and readjust throughout this journey.

Yeah well you need to do some more research I have lost 92 pounds total, and have plateaued on occasion for that very reason, and I also measure and weigh everything I put in my mouth. And if your not fueling your body enough your body will stop burning fat . Like I said do your research!

Oh, we're playing THAT game? Duelling tickers? The one with the highest weight loss is right and everybody should do what that person says I guess.

I eat the same amount of calories every damn day. I don't plateau. I have lost 130 pounds so I win obviously. How do you like that research?

q2iGIzk.jpg

zIqtvla.jpg

The post quoted above is NONSENSE except for special snowflakes. Eat at a calorie deficit; verify said calorie deficit by weighing food and tracking honestly and in detail. Do not expect weight loss to be linear because of ongoing variations in water weight and intestinal bulk, but over the course of a month eating at a consistent deficit will pay off. Variations in metabolism happen, but they are actually not very significant for people with operational thyroids. "Starvation mode" as something that happens to most people is nonsense.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    And if your not fueling your body enough your body will stop burning fat.
    That is completely wrong. Your body doesn't stop burning fat until there isn't any fat left to burn. IE, until you're deathly skinny.
    Like I said do your research!
    How about you set an example for us and do some yourself.

ETA: Obligatory dueling ticker comment: I'm down about 85 pounds - every single plateau has come from loosening up logging and the resultant increased calorie intake. Getting back in control of intake and reducing calories back down to where they needed to be fixed every plateau in a matter of days.
  • When that caloric deficit is present, your body is forced to find some alternative source of energy on your body to burn instead. Ideally, this would ONLY be your ugly stored body fat. However, it can also be your pretty lean muscle tissue.

You do your research like I said!!! http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-lose-fat-without-losing-muscle/

I've done mine. If what your doing is working for you keep it up as I said many times everything ain't for everybody! Just because you have and opinion on what somebody should be doing to lose weight don't make it a fact!

And for the last poster if you eat the same amount of calories everyday and don't plateau good for you. We are all different and have different metabolism, my body don't work like yours does, so just because you don't plateau don't mean other people haven't went through it! I gave my opinion anybody that don't like is free to give their own, but don't tell me what is wrong when I and others have experienced the same thing just because you haven't don't make it wrong!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    I would keep doing what you're doing, and just be patient. I received the story of "you're not eating enough" and I believe it to be crap. Mr Knight said loosening up on logging and I would be inclined to listen. I DID up my calories for two weeks to stir up the pot due to my increased workouts, now I'm dropping them back by 100 a week. Where upping them didn't cause me to gain, I didn't lose either and the bottom line is if you are in a deficit, you will lose. Best of luck and congrats on your progress.