Suggestions - want to drink my breakfast (simple)!

Options
So I don't have time for cereal or eggs or granola or anything in AM. But I still want to get something in me for breakfast.

What I do have time for is a quick drink but I need suggestions on something I can buy at store so I don't have to make it myself!!!!

Maybe something like a V8 or Boost or Kellogs Protien Shake?

I know those aren't healthy - not sure there is going to be much pre-made stuff that is but that is a requirement of this question - which pre-made shake or drink would be best each morning to get me going and keep me satisfied.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If it were me I would look for a protein shake that was low sugar, had some fiber, and some fat content as well. These are filling attributes.

Instead I "pack" my breakfast the same way I pack lunch. Greek yogurt with berries, high fiber cereal, and chopped nuts. I put the dry ingredients in a zip-lock baggie so I can add them when I'm ready. The wet ingredients in a good size bowl with a snap on lid. Chewing food is much more satisfying to me.
  • Vic8893
    Vic8893 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This morning I made myself a smoothie that was really quick and delicious! Was only these 3 ingredients blended together!

1 cup of blueberries
    1 banana
    1 fage greek yogurt total 0% with strawberry
  • pastybuns
    Options
    People at my work and in my university classes tend to ask me, "Are you going to drink that whole thing?" a lot. I often haul a liter of orange juice or apple juice as a breakfast.

The only juice brand I buy from the store is Simply. Because the ingredients in their apple and orange juices (orange-mango, orange-banana) are only what's in the title. So apples, oranges, bananas, etc.

And, yes, I do drink the whole thing ;]
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    this is why I love my majic bullet. I can make the smoothies ahead of time then grab and drink on the go or when I feel extra hungry but don't want to make anything. I guess a slim fast is like a liquid meal or an ensure drink. Some of them aren't bad tasting but I would rather make a smoothie out of fresh frozen veg and fruits with flax and oats anyday over those.
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i had weight loss surgery earlier this year so I've drank a lot of my calories as they all have an extended liquid diet portion.

Some suggestions for ready made/store brought:

Premier Protein (chocolate and vanilla, strawberry seems elusive except online) carried by Wal-Mart and Costco in bulk
    160 calories, 30 grams protein, 5 carbs/3 fiber/1 sugar

Pure Protein (chocolate, vanilla, banana, and others) my local grocery store (Publix) carries them as well as Walgreens
    120 calories, 23 grams protein, 6 carbs/3fiber/1 sugar

Both also make very tasty bars in similar nutrient ratios

For throwing in the blender quickly
    Isopure Zero Carb (dozen or so flavors, I believe Vitamin World carries them, I buy through Amazon)
    For 2 scoops: 210 calories, 50 grams protein, 1 carb/0 sugar/fiber

Syntrax (carried by Vitamin World, Vitamin Shoppe and GNC and Amazon)
    They have "creamy" flavors for a more traditional shake or "juice" type flavors for a Kool-Aid fix
    I drink Peach Fuzz: 100 calories, 23 grams protein, 0 carb/sugar/fiber

Adding fiber powder or Greek yogurt can also "bulk" up a shake for little calories
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to make it yourself, try muscle milk!
  • thcguy123
    Options
    Okay I will try Muscle Milk.

Remember I said I do not have time to prepare my morning shake before hand - has to be STORE BOUGHT.

Any other ideas?
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    really though - you don't have 5 minutes the night before to throw a few things in a blender? muscle milk is disgusting and full of garbage. the only store bought protein shake i would ever consider drinking is by pure protein.
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Rice / Vegan protein. It won't spike your blood sugar that way other shakes will. It will however taste like kitty litter.

http://main.poliquinstore.com/estrogenomics-px-choc

http://www.thenaturalonline.com/garden-of-life-raw-fit-16-oz-powder.html
  • saracantthink
    saracantthink Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Buy some frozen fruits, a 100% fruit juice and some frozen spinach. Just throw them in the blender and make your own super healthy juice for breakfast. If you get the frozen you don't have to cut anything up. As an added bonus, put a banana or two in it to make it extra creamy and more like a smoothie =) I do this with fresh and frozen fruits and I really like it.
  • thcguy123
    Options
    Okay never mind....

I am not willing to make the extra time right now. When I try to start making extra time to cook meals at home, make meals for the next day, etc I get overwhelmed and quit.

I just want to focus on eating less even if it's processed of fast food and working out 3 times a week for 20 minutes right now.

Please don't overwhelm me with making shakes and juicing and preparing sandwiches the night before and making my meals at home, etc - that always causes me to just give up because it's so different than what I do now. Not ready to take it all on at once just yet.

Baby steps is what I need. Which crappy weight loss shake is the best (even if it's crap)?

Maybe I will just go buy some V8.