Should I up my calories on days I donate plasma?

Options
Hi! I'm fairly new at this, but I am doing fairly well so far, and was wondering if anyone here could tell me, should I up my calories on days I donate plasma or just stay the course?

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Good question! I donate plasma too, usually I want to stuff my face afterwards but I figure staying the course won't hurt. Just have a little extra snack. :)
  • lobbylobster
    lobbylobster Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would say up your calories a little bit, maybe eat an extra 200 or so? Replacing all that plasma will take some energy, and you don't want to risk feeling bad. You could ask a nurse next time you donate, I imagine they would know whether to eat more! :)
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    I heard talk from sitting in the bed donating that donating plasma can make your metabolism fluctuate. I don't know how true that is but it was from one of the phlebotomists.
  • MissJES89
    MissJES89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I donated blood not all that long after starting using MFP and never even thought about it at the time but fainted - I think there were a combination of reasons but had never had that issue before. So when I'm next allowed to go I will be making sure to have eaten a good number of my calories before going!

I'm no expert but personally would say make sure to have eaten a good size breakfast etc before going and judge as the day goes on what you need to do.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Huh. Good question. I don't have an answer for you, just curious if someone else knows.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should probably eat at maintenance or higher.

Your body will burn about 600 calories after you've donated a pint of blood to replenish your body. So your body needs all the energy it can get for that process. Make sure to hydrate, and get some iron!

Also, skip any exercise you might have planned, you don't want to pass out from over-exerting yourself.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    I think we should specify this is NOT donating whole blood. This is plasma, they do return the red cells back to you. Just needed to clarify because I know it's vastly a different experience and wait time. With plasma donation you can donate twice per week.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I think we should specify this is NOT donating whole blood. This is plasma, they do return the red cells back to you. Just needed to clarify because I know it's vastly a different experience and wait time. With plasma donation you can donate twice per week.

Ah, I see. I think I read that for plasma, it's 450 calories, but don't quote me on that. I think it depends on how much plasma is actually taken.

But still, it may be better to keep those calories up.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Agreed! I'm always feeling ravenous after I donate! It's hard not to go overboard when you feel like that! ^_^
  • brelauritzen
    brelauritzen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I will keep that in mind and add an extra 250 the day i donate and 200 the day after, that should take into account the energy needed to replenish. you are all wonderful.