What's the absolute lowest you'll go on calories?

Options
I aim for 1,500-1,800 calories a day. If I'm somewhat below every now and then, I don't worry about it too much. However, if my total calorie count ever goes below 1,000, I will make myself eat something else, even if I don't feel like it, just to kick it up over that line.

What is your line of too few calories?

Replies

• emilynbaldi
    emilynbaldi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1400 is my absolute limit, and I really railed against MFP's little weight loss calculator when it said that's how little I'd need to eat to lose weight. I see that number and I think to myself: that's not enough to fuel any workouts or muscle growth.

So, fortunately for me, I've never had trouble not eating that little, lol. I did pull back my goal rate to make that number feel less excessive though, because it was causing me to binge on exercise just to "earn" enough calories for what I felt was a healthy amount of intake.

(5'11", 171lbs, approaching athletic).
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    The lowest I find I am able to do, even eating all natural and healthy foods, is 1500 net, and that can be a struggle sometimes, which is strange, as when I was in the throes of anorexia at 18, at my worst, I lived on just half a rice cake a day. How I did it, I will never know, but these days, I find hunger a really uncomfortable sensation.

With exercise, I rarely go below 2000, unless I am ill.
    I must admit, I do sometimes see the people saying they are quite happy on 1200, and find my old thinking patterns emerging, and experience guilt that I seem to need so much more. But, I am tall and I am pretty active with a lot of lean mass.
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    lowest ever is about 1000. I make sure I make up for it the next day as I work on weekly averages.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
  • MrsLady30
    MrsLady30 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations for getting past being anorexic and eating a healthy diet. THat is a huge accomplishment!
    The lowest I find I am able to do, even eating all natural and healthy foods, is 1500 net, and that can be a struggle sometimes, which is strange, as when I was in the throes of anorexia at 18, at my worst, I lived on just half a rice cake a day. How I did it, I will never know, but these days, I find hunger a really uncomfortable sensation.

I must admit, I do sometimes see the people saying they are quite happy on 1200, and find my old thinking patterns emerging, and experience guilt that I seem to need so much more. But, I am tall and I am pretty active with a lot of lean mass.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    1200 on non exercise days. But I prefer not to go under 1350, generally. I get pretty hungry under 1400, too. At 1500 I feel ok, although I will always want more :) .
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I know it's kind of silly but I adhere to the 1200 "rule"
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    1200 based on MFP's exercise calculations, so probably over 1300 since everyone says they're off by a decent amount. LOL
  • Erainor
    Options
    I just try to make healthy choices every day. A lot of the time, if I make a mistake, I try to eat something healthier at the next meal. There are definitely foods that make me feel more "full" than others.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    1800. I dunno, honestly haven't seen below 1900 in awhile, as I'm trying to bulk and even if I'm not hungry, I try to eat. My intake is set at 2450. I just...really like to eat
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Probably 1300-1400 for me
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations for getting past being anorexic and eating a healthy diet. THat is a huge accomplishment!

• CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    My lowest is 800 to 900.

I aim for 1200 but some days I dont get there.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You did not (specifically) say Net or Gross Calories. I typically eat 1700 - 1800 (gross) but net avg is around 1000.

Edit: Did the math: Avg for 74 days: 1194 NET
  • iseelondon
    iseelondon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I follow MFP'S suggestion and aim for 1200 daily.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Goals: 1400 lowest, 1600 highest.

Sometimes I go over by a bit, sometimes enough that I hit my maintenance calorie goal. No biggie. As long as I'm not actively gaining and still keeping things in check, I'm good.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    About 1650 (my target is 1700). Gym performance is important to me, so if I go much below that I'm just shooting myself in the foot. Plus, I like food. If I have leftover calories at the end of the day, I'm going to eat them.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I follow the TDEE - method. (My tdee is about 2500 cals/day on average) - have not really eaten below 2000 in uhmmm...a year or more? Losing consistently and almost at ultimate goal weight (145)... presently 153 lbs, 5'9"
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    1800 here, that seems to be the limit for me.