What a difference a year makes.

Options
fitnewlife
fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
As I drove to work this morning, I reflected over 2010. It was one of the most difficult years of my life because my husband of 19 years decided in April he didn't want to be married any longer and moved out the week before our anniversary in October. As I thought over the months, I realized it was the end of January 2010 when I decided to go back to the gym. There was snow and ice on the ground that early Monday morning, but I didn't let it keep me from going. My doctor told me I needed to lose weight because it was the best thing for my blood pressure and my knees. So I made a commitment to myself to do just that.

The gym had become my friend. My new best friend's name was Shaun T. I no longer had any excuses on why I couldn't workout. I pushed through the pain and loved the results. Then I realized, "hey this exercising is good for my mood". So the mornings I woke up from a stressful night at home with a man who no longer wanted to be married to me, I went to the gym, worked out my frustations and had a better attitude. So I thought to myself, I'd better stick with this.

Now it's January 2011, I had foot surgery, two weeks ago which has hindered me from exercising. I've gained some weight, but I'm not depressed. You want to know why? I know once I'm back up on my "feet", I'm going to go back to the gym and work off those pounds and get to my goal weight of 127.

January 2010 I weighed 172lbs. My lowest weight in 2010 was 139. Today I weigh 145. I'm thankful to God for being able to keep most of the weight off. I also look forward to the results I'm going to achieve once I'm back in the gym.

So even though 2010 was a sad year emotionally, it was the year that I consistently stayed in the gym.

Replies

• saramathers22
    Options
    What a lovely story. Well done on the realisation, you have done so well.

I hope you manage to get to your goal.

Lovely to hear you are back on track after surgery and I am sure you will succeed x
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for the hard year you had, but thank you for sharing because it really is an inspiration how you made a commitment to yourself, your health and your kids despite it all then stuck with it. Congratulations on the success :)

Pam
  • fitnewlife
    Options
    Thanks guys and you know what, I'm becoming okay with being "single" and I'm going to take time out for me and heal before I allow someone else to come into my heart.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Congratulations! Weight loss was only a benefit of your new love of exercise and your healthy attitude about fitness. Your success is inspiring! Congratulations!

Charmagne
  • IceFaith
    Options
    Congrats on your progress! Exercise does help my mood too. Sometimes that makes it easier to exercise but not always...lol

Take plenty of time for yourself. Relax and find out who you are as a single person. Enjoy doing things that You wanna do. I'm divorced but I was never married for as long as you were but it is a freeing thing to relax into single-ness and enjoy it.

I hope you heal quickly from the surgery!
  • ariesldsgal
    ariesldsgal Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You're awesome! Getting out and moving totally helps our physical well-being but equally important our mental well-being. :-) I love that you've recognized that.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about your marriage, but you have definitely taken the right attitude and I am very proud of you! I'm going through something similar, after 12 years, 6 years living together and a 5 yr old little boy. Instead of taken it bad and being depressed I've made major changes and turning the energy into motivation for positive changes, just like you..

good job and don't give up keep going focusing on yourself and the happiness will fall on your lap!
  • fitnewlife
    Options
    Thanks Mark. I'm really glad that I haven't fallen into a depression because I've seen so many people that have gone through it.
    I'm sorry about your marriage, but you have definitely taken the right attitude and I am very proud of you! I'm going through something similar, after 12 years, 6 years living together and a 5 yr old little boy. Instead of taken it bad and being depressed I've made major changes and turning the energy into motivation for positive changes, just like you..

good job and don't give up keep going focusing on yourself and the happiness will fall on your lap!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!