How often do you say no?

I find myself thinking often of food and telling myself 'no'. I'm talking several times an hour. I know I'm not the only one. How often do you have to say 'no' to those cravings, food urges and wants? Does it get easier with practice? Do the thoughts become less frequent?

Replies

• just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    I think about food way too much. I try to stop and ask myself 'why' first. Usually it's boredom more than hunger. I have two fall-back plans; 1) find something to keep me busy until I'm actually hungry, or 2) if I really just want to snack I'll give myself a goal to accomplish first. For example; finish X project and then I'll have a small snack. Usually by the time I've completed said project I've forgotten all about my craving. To answer your question of does it get easier... yes and no. On busy days, I can go all day without thinking about food until I realize I've missed my preferred mealtime. On days when I don't have much to do it's a continual challenge.

I've also learned that if I'm really craving something very specific, it's best to just have a moderate portion of that item and satisfy the craving rather than deprive myself or waste calories on unfulfilling substitutes.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Depends. Am I truly hungry or just bored? It's taken a while, but now I recognize the difference. if I'm bored, I find something to do. If i'm truly hungry, I eat.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    I know boredom is part of it for me too. But another thing I find difficult is to see food on TV. Whether it is just a scene with people eating or a cooking show, I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to have to quit watching! I don't know why I am so easily stimulated to eat. I hope I get over it the more I practice restraint.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Never honestly.
  • omgitscharlie
    omgitscharlie Posts: 12 Member
    In the beginning I had to say no all the time. Especially since my office is awash in home-baked cakes and cookies. I forget where I read it (probably here) but someone had great advice: if you're going to use your precious calories on something decadent, make sure it counts. Don't blow calories on a bag of chips-ahoy, use it on Godiva.

I found the nos became less and less as my stomach got physically smaller and I couldn't put as much food in it. The willpower gets strained if I take a break and my body gets used to eating a regular number of calories as opposed to a deficiency.

I agree with just4nessa- determining if you're hungry because you're hungry or hungry because you're bored is a good first step. Drink a glass of water and do something else for a bit. A good rule of thumb: if you've eaten in the past couple hours, you're probably not actually hungry.

Good luck! In my experience, it does get better.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    It is an everyday thing with me; an addiction that I have to fight off all the time. Especially at work, where they seem to have a dinner every other day for something or another. Always fatty foods and cake galore. However, every time they have, I have said NO!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Occasionally.

Lol.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    never
  • Just yesterday I tried changing my 'no' to a 'you can' and actually it really helped this.

I went to Mum's for dinner and I TOOK the dessert, Chocolate Torte and immediately the war started in my head "I want, no you can't, but i waaaant, no, I'll start tomorrow, no you started today, just a little piece, nooooooo, a treat is ok.." (that's my brain literally)

And then I tried ok, its 428 calories a slice, and if you want it you can have it. Ok, you can.... if you want?

Suddenly my brain was like, well I do want that taste, but actually I dont want those calories, and I really want to fit my wedding dress.

And it was easy to say no, because I completely had the choice to say yes if I really wanted it, but I didn't.

Disclaimer: I realise I sound a bit crazy here, but seriously it worked!!
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    I have to say "No" to a lot of cravings but it's nice to find one meal a week and just say yes because a cheat meal is TOTALLY OKAY! :) Enjoy it
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Honestly, no. Because I make room for the food that I love in my life -- even if that's ice cream, or chocolate, or half a pizza.

It also sounds like you seem to have this problem a specific time of the day (Ex. watching tv in the evening after work). Rather than have to constantly tell yourself no, why not set aside some calories for the night time so that you can have a snack of some sort? I always leave 200-300 calories at the end of the day because I know I'm an evening snacker.

There's always going to be temptations, and they will be much more manageable if you can find ways to make it work for you. Good luck!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    All the time these days. But part of doing this right is moderation and learning when too much is simply too much. Good luck, OP.