I want to get fit to cosplay! XD

Options
Hi! :)

I'm new here. I just joined yesterday. I've been wanting to lose weight for a while, and I want to be healthier! I'm almost 30, and I recently decided that I was done waiting to cosplay characters in certain outifts that I wouldn't feel comfortable cosplaying as I am now, so I am just going to jump into it and try my best to get fit and see what happens! :)

Just FYI, I am 100% for body positivity and I think people should be comfortable in their own body and feel beautiful no matter what! I'm just saying that, for me personally, I want to make a change.

I'm a huge fangirl who loves TV shows (In The Flesh, Supernatural, Orange is the New Black, Orphan Black, Doctor Who, etc.), video games (the Kingdom Hearts series, a bunch of Final Fantasy games, the Batman Arkham games, Infamous 1 and 2, Fallout 3, etc.), comic books (X-Men, Batman, etc.), board games (Pandemic, Arkham Horror, etc.), and more! And in case you don't know, cosplay is short for costume play, which is basically dressing up as a fictional character an going to conventions as them. It's super fun and I've done it before, but a bunch of the girl characters I want to be wear outfits that I just don't want to wear until I lose weight. Don't get me wrong, I love people who are confident enough to cosplay any outfit they want regardless of their weight! That's just not me, is all. XD;

So, yeah! I'm trying to lose 90 lbs, which should get me down to 150 lbs if my scale is accurate (which is unlikely). I'd like to lose that (and maybe more?) by next year's NYCC (New York Comic Con, in case you don't know), which will be in October 2015. That way I can cosplay something awesome, assuming that I have enough money and can pull it off. XD

I'm probably going to be on the app a lot more than on the site, but I thought I'd poke around a bit here and see what it's like, maybe make some friends, that sort of thing. :)

Good luck to all of you! And whenever you think you can't keep up with your fitness plan anymore, remember the wise words of Yoda... "Do or do not. There is no try." I'm going to keep it in mind, too! :)

Replies

• sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Super great goal! I don't cosplay but I am into historical dress parties and events. That is one of my things that made me want to lose weight is to be able to fit into different types of clothes! One of my goals for when I get to 140 is to make a 1780s corset! I also use vintage patterns to sew with and they are tiny and it is a lot of work to make them bigger and fit right. Who do you think you'll dress as next year?
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! Last year, I got into cosplay at the ripe old age of 31 and I had a blast. Alas, I was not a fan of the pictures of said cosplay, and so I started my MFP adventure. I've got 3 months until my 1 year anniversary, which coincides with Chicago TARDIS and I'm closing in on my goal. This year I've gone from 1 costume to 4 and I plan to rock every one of them. Best of luck on your fitness journey!
  • AGarcia1976
    Options
    I've also wanted to try some Cosplay stuff. My burden has mostly been lack of ambition and all around laziness. The closest I've really come is trying to throw together a costume for Desert Punk. I think the shiny reflective helmet/gas mask thingy put me off. The only Con I've been to though is Atlanta Dragon-Con and that was awhile ago. I wasn't so huge into sci-fi as I am now, which sucks. Shepard Book was there (not sure what his name is), Spike from Buffy (though the guy gave off a bad first impression for me), and John Barrowman (Torchwood, Arrow). We met the twins from Harry Potter and the guy that played Neville Longbottom. That was pretty nerdy cool for us at the time. Looking back there were so many people I slap myself in the face for not recognizing at the time. Seems like a bit of a waste for a first outing but eventually we will go back. Who knows, I might try something simple like Spike Spiegel.
  • omgitscharlie
    omgitscharlie Posts: 12 Member
    Options

So, yeah! I'm trying to lose 90 lbs, which should get me down to 150 lbs if my scale is accurate (which is unlikely). I'd like to lose that (and maybe more?) by next year's NYCC (New York Comic Con, in case you don't know), which will be in October 2015. That way I can cosplay something awesome, assuming that I have enough money and can pull it off. XD

Hey!

NYCC sounds like a blast. Who are you looking to cosplay? Harley's outfit from Arkham looks killer.
  • tehmiminator
    Options
    I love this!!! I've always wanted to cosplay too but I was hesitant due to my weight as well. Rock on!
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    OMG I COSPLAY TOO! ADD MEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • omgitscharlie
    omgitscharlie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's times like these I wish that FMP had a 'like' button. :)
  • marathelost
    marathelost Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. I have been dieting pretty hard for my Harley Quinn cosplay. ^_^ I'd love to see the costume you are working towards.
  • Outwardlycalm
    Outwardlycalm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    We have Wizard World New Orleans Comic Con in January 9-11, 2015. It's getting bigger here every year. Matt Smith was at the last one. Then MechaCon July 17-19, 2015. I really want to go but I don't want to be one of those frumpy women. (I know my 21 year old daughter or 19 year old son wouldn't care but I would.) I don't want to cosplay, but wouldn't be against it. I want to rock my Doctor Who, Firefly, SG1 or SGA T Shirt. Who cares if I'm over 50! My mind is young and I want my body to be the best too!
    Good luck to both of us!
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    That is one of the best reasons I have ever heard for someone to lose weight! I love that Cosplay has gotten so huge.
  • yoshi240
    yoshi240 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey there, you sound awesome! I'm right there with ya ha ha! I would love to be able to feel more comfortable in certain close. I'd like to dump the over sized T's and get that Wonder Woman costume going. It's on my bucket list in fact! If I were comfortable enough I would even wear it everyday. Who knows... I could even become a REAL hero!!!! :bigsmile: lol thanks for the add! :smile:
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hi there! You have some great goals - not to mention, you sure do like a lot of the same things as I do. Anyone who likes Pandemic is alright in my eyes! Good luck with your weight loss, and feeling awesome in whatever costume you end up wearing in 2015. <3
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I should also add that anyone else is free to add me - just write a little note in the friends request so I know why you're asking :)
  • CanaryNoire
    CanaryNoire Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am gearing up for Comic Con next year! Going as Black Canary and maybe Zatanna
  • Marcel182
    Marcel182 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Feel free to add me, I don't exactly cosplay but I went to LeakyCon these last two years and wore my Hogwarts Ravenclaw tie and carried my wand with me at all times.

I'd love to share your fitness/weight loss journey and am always in need of people who'll keep me motivated.
  • zendarah
    zendarah Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This is a big goal for me too!
  • shiec92
    shiec92 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Same :)
    I really want to cosplay some certain ideas I have that no way in hell could happen with this body!!

Feel free to add me :)
  • siriuslyyellow
    siriuslyyellow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Super great goal! I don't cosplay but I am into historical dress parties and events. That is one of my things that made me want to lose weight is to be able to fit into different types of clothes! One of my goals for when I get to 140 is to make a 1780s corset! I also use vintage patterns to sew with and they are tiny and it is a lot of work to make them bigger and fit right. Who do you think you'll dress as next year?

I would love to go as Dizzy from Guilty Gear next year! XD I also want to do Alexiel from Angel Sanctuary and Emma's Phoenix Five outfit from Avengers Vs. X-Men. :)

That corset sounds awesome! :D
  • siriuslyyellow
    Options
    Hello and welcome! Last year, I got into cosplay at the ripe old age of 31 and I had a blast. Alas, I was not a fan of the pictures of said cosplay, and so I started my MFP adventure. I've got 3 months until my 1 year anniversary, which coincides with Chicago TARDIS and I'm closing in on my goal. This year I've gone from 1 costume to 4 and I plan to rock every one of them. Best of luck on your fitness journey!

Thank you so much! That's very inspirational. :) I've done cosplays a bunch before, but I'm just really feeling the urge to look awesome in them. Well, more awesome than usual, anyways. *hair flip* XD
  • siriuslyyellow
    Options
    I've also wanted to try some Cosplay stuff. My burden has mostly been lack of ambition and all around laziness. The closest I've really come is trying to throw together a costume for Desert Punk. I think the shiny reflective helmet/gas mask thingy put me off. The only Con I've been to though is Atlanta Dragon-Con and that was awhile ago. I wasn't so huge into sci-fi as I am now, which sucks. Shepard Book was there (not sure what his name is), Spike from Buffy (though the guy gave off a bad first impression for me), and John Barrowman (Torchwood, Arrow). We met the twins from Harry Potter and the guy that played Neville Longbottom. That was pretty nerdy cool for us at the time. Looking back there were so many people I slap myself in the face for not recognizing at the time. Seems like a bit of a waste for a first outing but eventually we will go back. Who knows, I might try something simple like Spike Spiegel.

My sis and I have an excellent picture with John Barrowman and Garreth (the guy who plays Ianto; I think that's his name)! I've seen some cool looking Spike Spiegel's over the years. Have fun! :D