Marathons and hysterectomy surgery

Options
I've run two half-marathons in the past year and this IS going to be the "full" year....or so I hope. I have a half signed up for early May and a full for mid-June, and was doing some mid-distance (8 miles) training runs in Sept. and Oct. when I started having "feminine issue" bleeding. Heavy feminine issue bleeding. My hemocrit dropped below 10, and subsequent doctors appointments and ultrasounds showed I had fibroid tumors and a "bicorneate" uterus....which means normal treatments for the fibroids wont work as there is a wall dividing my uterus.
Since November, I've been on three different regimens of hormone replacements with little results. I'm 46, never had children and have never taken birth control pills. I've become mean and moody....and puffy. I've not put on a lot of weight, about two lbs., but my doctor says that is from the birth control pills.
However, I'm still bleeding, so a hysterectomy is now being discussed for Feb. 5. I've been struggling with running because of the bleeding, cramping and exhaustion, so I'm doing about 5 miles now.... down from Sept, instead of up.
The marathon I'm running is in memory of a friend of mine who was a helicopter medic and was killed. I'm raising funds for a scholarship program in his name. I can not back out.....

Those of you who have had a hysterectomy... how hard is it to come back...how quickly can you resume running again. My doctor said he recommends low impact exercise for several weeks after the surgery, but he did add that he has not done a hysterectomy on a long-distance runner before. He's checking with other surgeons, but I'm freaking out a bit. I don't want surgery, but I'm tired of bleeding and being tired.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Taking the fact that you are possibly going to have abdominal surgery, let's just look at how much time you'll have to train. You'll basically be starting your training cycle around March 1st after you take the time off from the procedure. That means you'll have about 12 to 14 weeks to train for a marathon. This is the minimum amount of time it would take and that is assuming that the person training has a good base of mileage under their belt. I usually suggest between 12 and 18 months of base, averaging around 25 miles per week. It doesn't sound like you are there. I suggest that you concentrate fully on getting yourself healthy and not worry about the marathon. It should be the last of your concerns. I fully understand your commitment to it, but I'm sure that your friend that passed would rather you be healthy than to embark on something that could have you in worse shape than before you started.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    How long before you can run is going to depend on the surgical technique.

I had a laparascopic hysterectomy, and I was able to WALK on the treadmill in my second post op week. You don't want to push anything because you could pop internal stitches. Also, follow those post-op activity restrictions to the letter. If you don't, you could again pop some stitches and end up needing surgery to repair the damage/stop the bleeding.

You're going to lose a lot of blood during surgery, so you're going to be really tired, especially the first week. My husband likes to tell everyone that I said the week after my hysterectomy was the best week of my life--get up, have a little breakfast, watch some TV, take a nap. Get up, have some lunch, read a book, take a nap. Get up, have some dinner, interact with the hubby, go to bed. Give your body the rest it needs to heal properly. Keep your protein intake up as protein is required for wound healing.

You'll also very likely be quite puffy after surgery. My preop weight was 133, they took out about 5 pounds of stuff (big fibroid), and when I got on the scale the next day it was 135. Don't freak (or don't get on the scale).

You're also going to be amazed at how much better you feel after you've recovered. You don't realize how you can get used to feeling crappy all the time, so when the problem goes away it's like a rebirth.
  • TigressStripes
    TigressStripes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You're also going to be amazed at how much better you feel after you've recovered. You don't realize how you can get used to feeling crappy all the time, so when the problem goes away it's like a rebirth.

They say it takes a full year to completely recover from this surgery, inside and out. I'm 9 months out, starting to really finally feel like myself again, starting to consistently have the energy levels I did once upon a time.

I hope for your sake your doing the laproscopic (sp), I personally didn't even need to spend a night in the hospital.

I'm no doctor, but based on my own experiences, I'd hazard a guess to say you'll be lucky to do your events, based on energy level/pain/etc. Granted, that all depends on pain tolerance and such. My surgeon/doctor told me no exercise period for 6 weeks post-surgery, especially anything that used abdominal muscles. I've got a pretty high pain tolerance and there was quite a bit of time where I could only stomach (literally!) a walk around the block - or less - before it was too much.

Is your hemocrit still below 10? I'm surprised they haven't transfused you yet, or at least suggested it.

The being unable to have kids naturally aspect still haunts me...but otherwise? No regrets. Like the above poster said and I quoted above, you really don't realize how miserable you've been until you get it resolved.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

Is your hemocrit still below 10? I'm surprised they haven't transfused you yet, or at least suggested it.

I think she means hemoglobin, not hematocrit.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A lot will depend on your type of surgery. Laproscopic may have a quicker healing time than an abdominal incision. Mine was done abdominally and I was back to do everything after 6 weeks and have never regretted having the surgery. It can't be more than giving birth and I know runners who are back out there 3 weeks after the baby is born! It might be pushing it to do a whole marathon that soon after but since you want to do it in memory of a friend just finishing it could be your goal rather than running the whole thing.

I think a lot of your recovery will depend on your attitude and your physical shape going in. My mom is still recovering from her hysterectomy done 50 years ago!
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I am not a great one to answer because I had complications BUT because I did, I can tell you my story and recovery. I was supposed to have a vaginal hysterectomy in OCt. 2011. Because of my CSections and my bodies crappy ways, my bladder was adhered to my uterus due to scar tissue (not common by the way) which was not obvious until the bladder tore during surgery so I ended up with an open bladder repair and catheter for 2 plus weeks. I also had a complication from being in surgery for 5 hours and lost the feeling in my right leg due to femoral nerve compression. So a little atypical. I was told that it would be a year most likely. I was running almost back at my normal pace, with completely normal sensation and use of my leg and did a 10K in March 2012. So point of my story is that it will depend on various factors--1) How good of shape/condition you are in prior to surgery, 2) What type of hysterectomy you have, 3) How your body recovers and 4) What your Dr allows you to do following since only he/she know your situation. Don't know if this helps or not, but good luck to you!
  • nefbaker
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I appreciate all of the comments. I am meeting with a physical therapist whose a marathon runner today for "encouragement" and will continue with plans for surgery for Feb. 5. If I have to walk the full marathon in June, I will. Considering two years ago I weighed 260 lbs and couldn't run a block, for me to be wussing about a marathon after surgery is a bit ironic.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm basically posting to follow- I've just recently had mini sling for my bladder issues and am one week away from running again. My procedure is no where near as extensive as this one- but am going to be training for a second 1/2, and a full marathon this year. I just am following for the information, but want to wish you luck with your recovery and with your marthon goal.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I had my hysterectomy the end of December 2011, and wasn't back on my feet for about two weeks. It took awhile to get 'back to normal'. But I was really out of shape and overweight at that time. If I had it now, I think l would recover faster.
  • nefbaker
    Options
    Surgery has been set for Jan. 29 after I spoke to my doctor about my marathon concerns to give me an extra week to heal/train. He and the physical therapist believe that, even if I have major complications (sometimes a bicorneate uterus can not be removed vaginally) it would be similar to his c-section runners, which would mean two weeks off from work, walking during that time, then begin using an elliptical for running training until the stitches are healed. If I can go with a 'vaginal' hysterectomy, he believes that the increase in energy from not bleeding as much will give me a boost.

Again, thank you everyone. ...
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in to say that abdominal surgery of any kind is not to be taken lightly. I had a routine C-Section and it took way longer than the recommended 6 week resting period before I felt like I could do strenous exercise. Your number one priority is getting healthy - don't overdo it and set yourself back by trying to do too much too soon. Having said all that, I hope it's a breeze and I hope you feel amazing afterwards!
  • Belita38
    Belita38 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It depends on the kind of histerectomy that you are going to do.
    My advise is: Don´t worry about anything else, except your health.
    As far as my experiencie is concerned, doctors told me that it would be easier than it was. For the two times I did the procedure. Both were abdominal but with significant differences.
    One thing in common: we feel much stronger and healthier because you stop bleeding.
    Other thing in common: 2 months before I was ready to even have a long walk.
    But I was a "complicated" case. Not only uterus, ovaries and Fallopian tubes, but also stomach and intestines involved. In the endo everything was out of place.
    So again, don´t worry, don´t expect too much of you and let it happen!
    It will be great for you!
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My mom had a hysterectomy when she was around your age (and also a runner). The recovery was no joke, but she felt so much better after (like, months later). I wouldn't worry about the running, just get yourself healthy first. And honestly, as far as the marathon goes, I'm not sure if your base is strong enough to tackle it. The general consensus from what I've read is that you should have been running about 25 miles per week for a year BEFORE you start a marathon training program (which should be about 4-5 months long by itself). Even if you can start 3/1, that really doesn't give you near enough time to train for the marathon, let alone your base won't be where it should be. Of course you can try it, but you are running the risk of injury and it will probably be a pretty miserable experience. Look into either just walking it, or run/walking it. I don't mean to be negative, but I think your expectation to run in June WITHOUT the surgery is likely too aggressive given your base, throwing a major surgery in there makes it extremely more difficult. I wish you the best of luck in the surgery, recovery, and whatever decision you make!
  • librarygirlontherun
    Options
    I think the Doctor will make you take off 8 weeks before you can run. I too am a vetern 1/2 runner who would not consider 12 weeks enough time to train for my 1st full marathon. I think you should back out of the full and choose another one at a later date. It sucks that you have fund raised but there will always be another marathon.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.
  • nefbaker
    Options
    Surgery was Feb. 26. I was able to have a laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomy, and It's now Thursday, Feb. 7, and I'm back at work part-time (at my job as an editor). I have three tiny scars and have had none of the expected complications.

I've been riding my recumbent bike every night since Feb. 1 for 30 minutes and started on the elliptical on Sunday for 20 minutes every night. I've been feeling really good, with a TON more energy (amazing what a difference being able to keep all the blood you make makes).

I've got another 3 weeks before my next check up, which is when my doctor will tell me when I can start running again and lifting over 20 lbs. My goal is to increase to an hour on the elliptical within the next week and a half.

I've decided to keep my registration for the marathon as a full. The day of the event I can switch to a half marathon if I don't feel up to it - I'll just forfeit the $30 difference - and my goal isn't time this time - it's just the finish line, so if I have to walk part of it I will.

Thank you everyone for your support....I appreciate everyone's input. I have talked with my doctors about the concerns brought up before making my decision. In fact, my doctor said I needed to get a T-shirt that says "Just In It To Finish It - Pass to the right"
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    So glad things went well. You seem to be recovering nicely! Listen to your body as you get back into it and good luck with your training!
  • strutdivastrut
    strutdivastrut Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    OP, I just had a TVH.How did your marathon go last year?