Net calories

Options
I just don't know if I can really get myself to believe in net calories.
Basically what the claim here is is that if I were to eat 3500 calories/day and burn 3000 at the gym (not even that hard, I can burn 1000 in 2 hours) I would eventually end up emaciated? I just can't picture myself actually losing weight on 2000+ calories. I was thinking of trying to net 800 (eating 2000-2500, burning 1200+) but I don't feel like I'll lose weight. Will I? My BMR is about 1200 btw, I'm 5'1 105 lbs and I want to be 101.

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Your numbers seem a bit off to me. Outside of exercise, are you very active in your everyday life, or do you work a desk job? For a sedentary person of your height and weight, MFP estimates 1480 net calories per day to maintain your weight, and 1230 net to lose .5 lb per week

What do you do to burn 500 calories per hour at your size? One of my tougher workouts estimates 377 calories per hour for your age/size and even then I would tend to adjust it downwards and not eat back all the exercise calories

Using those numbers as an example, say you ate 3500 calories and worked out for two hours. Your deficit would be:

1480 + (2 * 377) - 3500 = -1266. Multiply that by 7, and divide that by 3500 calories/pound and you'd gain ~2.5 lbs per week

Now that we have that sorted out, yes net calories work. Tons of us have used the concept to lose weight

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

105 seems like it may be a healthy weight for your height. Is there any chance you may wish to concentrate on fat loss and maybe some muscle building rather than further weight loss?
  • xtxtxtx
    xtxtxtx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I hardly want to lose any, just a few vanity lbs and to stay in the healthy range! :) I burn over 1000 on the treadmill every day.
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    1000 seems quite high number for your height and weight. I would buy good HRM to be sure. Everything above 100 calories per 10 minutes is almost for sure error.

By mine experience fitness equipment is least accurate, then MFP and last HRM which tends to be the most accurate.
  • garnerish
    garnerish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Be careful with that. Machines/online calculators often massively overestimate the actual number of calories burned.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I hardly want to lose any, just a few vanity lbs and to stay in the healthy range! :) I burn over 1000 on the treadmill every day.

You're running 15 miles every day on the treadmill? If not, you're not burning 1000 cal...... ( .63 x weight in lbs x distance) if you're waling it would have to be closer to 30 miles.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

really?! doubtful given your stats unless you run for about 3 hours each day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You need to recheck your figures.