4 MONTHS INTO GYM AND WEIGHT REMAINS THE SAME :((((((

So today i got to my breaking point,i cried and cursed my body for not losing any weight,I stepped onto the scale today thinking I had lost some weight since i felt a bit better about my body. But to my suprise i have not lose anything. I am 28 years old, i weigh 60 kgs my highest weight ever. I am 1.54 ft tall. I just got back to gym 4 months ago, i exercise 5 times a week only cardio treadmill and stair stepper. I workout for 60 mins. I eat healthy foods and drink green teas. My goal weight is 50kgs but the rate im going i am not losing anything. My clothing doesnt feel loose on me either and im very uncomfortable. Over the last year i gained 7 kilos and when i got back to gym this year i gained 3 more. I am utterly disspointed and i thought by now i would be at least 55kgs and then get to goal weight by October. Everyone around me seems to be losing weight so easily. I am finding it very hard to lose weight and i used to be 48kgs in 2012. eating healthy and eating 1200 calories isnt working for me. There is a show i want to attend in december and i wanted to look my best and at my goal weight but im not losing a damn thing and i feel fat as ever :(((((( Please dont tell me the crap about eating more or starvation mode because i am quite a short height and this weight is too big for me. Someone even told me im gone fat and it hurt me but i didnt show it. Now 5 months into gym and not lost anything. Almost end of the year can not believe this. And yes i checked my thyroids etc and everything is normal.

Replies

• GlamourVintage
    GlamourVintage Posts: 60 Member
    Don't be so hard on yourself! In my opinion, I would change up the exercise route, look more closely to your diet and drink lots of water.
  • chrissywelsh10
    chrissywelsh10 Posts: 66 Member
    I know this may not be what you want to hear but I think it might help.

--- Be gentle with yourself. ---

Loosing weight is hard and its a very long road.

If I was to give advice I would say take your foot off the gas pedal. 5 times a week is a lot for 1 hour a time, you might not be giving your muscles enough time to recuperate, especially if you don't eat enough protein. So take it down to 3 times a week, and make sure your calorie intake is light on sugar high on protein. Drink a LOT of water. As for the scale are you using the same one - and weighing at the same time of day.

The nest thing i ever did was realise it doesn't have to be all or nothing, sometimes just saying "today I'm going to do my best" even if you slip up once. Im 5ft 5 - and have a similar goal - mine is 65Kg. You can add me if you like and we can help each other.

Its going to be OK.
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    It sounds to me like you aren`t eating 1200 cals a day your eating to maintain, or you are over-estimating cals burned.

Do you weigh and measure all your food so you know exactly what you are eating?
    When you exercise are you using MFP cals burned - if so this way over estimates cals burned, my advice get a HRM.
    Have you taken measurements of your body so you can see you are losing inches?
  • It sounds to me like you aren`t eating 1200 cals a day your eating to maintain, or you are over-estimating cals burned.

Do you weigh and measure all your food so you know exactly what you are eating?
    When you exercise are you using MFP cals burned - if so this way over estimates cals burned, my advice get a HRM.

Have you taken measurements of your body so you can see you are losing inches?

All of this
  • Hachiko89
    Hachiko89 Posts: 43 Member
    Could you open your diary? We can have a look to see if it's what you're eating.
  • I second what everyone else has said - MFP way overestimates how many calories exercise burns. Also, if you're lifting a lot, you could be putting on a lot of muscle mass and losing fat but not necessarily losing a lot weight...I guess that's a long shot, but it's possible. Which is why taking your measurements would be a good idea. But yes, it would help to be able to see your diary.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    1. You cant out-exercise a bad diet!
    2. Eating healthy matters but the portion sizes/ frequency (ie calories) matter too! Log accurately and consistently to identify the issue and eat at deficit!
    3. This is a lifestyle change so if you.only go.to.gym to lose then you will stop when you hit goal.and the yoyo continues! Let exercise be part of your daily habit regardless of scale - dont tie it to the scale!
    4. In.some cases, people find that increasing the daily/ weekly.calorie allowance aids in.weight loss!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    You're not in a calorie deficit.
    You aren't 'gaining loads of muscle'.
    You don't NEED to exercise to lose weight - you need a calorie deficit.
    You're not in a calorie deficit - it's as simple as that.
  • I think that:

1.You are not overweight. That means that the weight is going to come off much slower. My sister is 5'5 and it took her close to a year to drop 10 kgs from 65 to 55. So be patient.

2. I think it is highly likely that you might be overestimating the calories burned at the gym. I used to do that and was stuck between losing and gaining 1 kg for a while. It's best not to read the calories burned off the cardio machines. Apparently the Elliptical machine can overestimate your calories burned by up to 40-50% and the treadmill by up to 30%-40% so it's not very accurate. Investing in a heart rate monitor is the best option. Or try entering your weight in before starting the cardio exercise.

3. Also, ensure you're eating at a calorie deficit. Try to log in everything as accurately as possible. You are probably eating at your maintenance calories (net) currently.
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
    Please please please never mention proana again, that is very worrying. Having had a look at your stats, yes I do understand why you want to lose weight but you're not massively overweight so you should be taking it slow.

Just a few questions:

Are you weighing and measuring all of your food?
    Do you count your drinks?
    Are you drinking enough water?
    How are you working out the calories burned?
    Do you eat back your exercise calories?
    Are you weighing at the same time on the same day?
    Are you measuring yourself?

4 months with no weight loss does suggest that something in your plan isn't working correctly. You may be over estimating your calories burned, under estimating your food portions etc. At your height 1200 cals possibly is a realistic goal, but have you tried working out your TDEE and BMR? To lose weight, you should be eating somewhere in the middle of those 2 numbers.

I think you need to shake up everything you're doing. Change the calorie goal, change up your exercise routine, make sure you're weighing in at the same time every week/month and take measurements.
  • i wouldnt be so hard on myself it i at least lost 3kgs by now since its been 4 months. I want to fit into nice clothing for summer but cannot now because im still stuck at my highest weight:( i drink alot of coconut water and green teas.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    **OP in all seriousness you need to concentrate on being healthy foremost.
  • I never said i want to be anorexic! That is not my goal,my goal is to get back to the weight i was in 2012. I am at my highest weight at the moment and i eat healthy. So please when i said proana i meant maybe it could help me lose these extra pounds im carrying,i in no way want to be anorexic

• Good heavens, is that necessary? She is frustrated and feels like nothing is working....I would be too after 4 months of eating 1200 calories and working hard at gym without seeing results. At least she is asking for advice.

Yeah, at least she's asking for advice. I was breaking down at the 1 month mark so I can empathise. I don't see why people should be so rude and mean to other people.
  • I second what everyone else has said - MFP way overestimates how many calories exercise burns. Also, if you're lifting a lot, you could be putting on a lot of muscle mass and losing fat but not necessarily losing a lot weight...I guess that's a long shot, but it's possible. Which is why taking your measurements would be a good idea. But yes, it would help to be able to see your diary.

i THINK i will need to invest in those heart rate watches, maybe i am overestimating how many calories burned.

• Good heavens, is that necessary? She is frustrated and feels like nothing is working....I would be too after 4 months of eating 1200 calories and working hard at gym without seeing results. At least she is asking for advice.

Yeah, at least she's asking for advice. I was breaking down at the 1 month mark so I can empathise. I don't see why people should be so rude and mean to other people.

Thank you and i agree some people are so blatantly rude. I came on here to get advice and i in now way want to be anorexic. I want to be fit and toned but also want to get rid of this extra weight i am carrying.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    When someone comes into a post and states 'It's so hard I'll go do pro-Ana diets' then yes I'll be harsh. It's incredibly immature thinking and it does actual harm both to the OP and someone who reads it and think that makes it OK.
  • When someone comes into a post and states 'It's so hard I'll go do pro-Ana diets' then yes I'll be harsh. It's incredibly immature thinking and it does actual harm both to the OP and someone who reads it and think that makes it OK.

I am just frustrated that is all!!!!! You didnt have to comment then if you have nothing helpful to say.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    I did give you advice which was to open your diary. No one can give advice without looking at that.
  • I did give you advice which was to open your diary. No one can give advice without looking at that.

I dont want any advice from you thanks