Ovulation and weight gain

Options
Hi! i know this was already asked, but it's the first time i pay attention to my weight every day.. So i was wondering if the weight gain I had these last days could be caused by ovulation... And if ovulation is the reason, how many days does it take to lose these extra pounds? Sorry for my bad English.. Thanks

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Yes it is common. Give it 5 days? Maybe even a week.
  • crystalblair2355
    crystalblair2355 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    PMS can cause some to gain 5-10 pounds durring their cycle... i usually drop back down within a week after
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For me it (was) about 2Lbs for about 3 days at ovulation, and 3-4Lbs just before my period and lasting through it.

Very common to see the scale go up at ovulation.
  • LauraBonassin
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your answers! I was a little bit worried! :)
  • RAWR1202
    Options
    Hi! i know this was already asked, but it's the first time i pay attention to my weight every day.

I don't think it's a brilliant idea to weigh yourself everyday (if that's what you mean) in case you become a little bit obsessive.
    Besides, fluctuations in weight can put you off, especially if you see the number go up quite a bit when really it's just because you haven't gone to the toilet yet or something.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hi! i know this was already asked, but it's the first time i pay attention to my weight every day.

I don't think it's a brilliant idea to weigh yourself everyday (if that's what you mean) in case you become a little bit obsessive.
    Besides, fluctuations in weight can put you off, especially if you see the number go up quite a bit when really it's just because you haven't gone to the toilet yet or something.
    I think that depends ENTIRELY on the person. I weigh myself every morning. It allows me to see patterns (like that the scale goes up during ovulation). The important thing is: weigh yourself under the same circumstances, i.e.: always weigh nude, first thing, after the first morning pee.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS retain water during ovulation.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    I don't gain much when I'm on my period, don't know about ovulation. I don't tend to weigh myself when I'm on my period, only after it has gone.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    However I weighed myself recently and I'm only a few days away from period, I gained half a lb. So I'm putting that down to ovulation.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    :)
  • LauraBonassin
    Options
    I agree, I think it's a very personal choice!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    However I weighed myself recently and I'm only a few days away from period, I gained half a lb. So I'm putting that down to ovulation.
    Ovulation is 14 days before your period starts.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I don't generally gain weight during ovulation. I gain it 1-2 days before I'm about to start my period, and it goes away at the very end of my period or 1-2 days after I end my period.

I also make sure that I stay within my calorie goal, I know that if I do, I'll still lose weight. Some months that's really difficult, so I'll eat and additional 100 calories, but nothing more.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I lose weight between ovulation and about 3-4 days before TOM starts, then it goes up for the next week or so.

I plotted my daily weight and TOM into excel so I could see the trend over several months. That way I know what's happening and what's normal for me.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

I think that depends ENTIRELY on the person. I weigh myself every morning. It allows me to see patterns (like that the scale goes up during ovulation). The important thing is: weigh yourself under the same circumstances, i.e.: always weigh nude, first thing, after the first morning pee.

I entirely agree. It's a purely personal thing. I weigh every day, and log my weight every day. It hasn't made me obsessive. It's made me observant and in tune with my body.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't think I gain during ovulation. Never paid attention. I'm going to start watching that trend. Wth.

I totally gain at period time. So much. I feel gigantic before and light as a feather after. Periods suck. I used the equipment for nine months of my life and must live with the effects of having it all the time. Ugh.
  • momiles11
    Options
    I usually gain 2-3 pounds during ovulation and up to 6 pounds (!!!) the 2-3 days before my period. I think it's perfectly normal!
  • crystalblair2355
    crystalblair2355 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I entirely agree. It's a purely personal thing. I weigh every day, and log my weight every day. It hasn't made me obsessive. It's made me observant and in tune with my body.

^^^THIS!!
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    3-4 pounds during ovulation, 3-6 (yikes!) two or three days before my period. I don't weigh during my period, but I weigh immediately after...the results are often dramatic :smiley:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    3-4 pounds during ovulation for me too. It'll go down a pound or two before my period, stay there, and then I can't really get an accurate reading on my weight until well after my period is over. There is only a small window every month when I can get a good check in weight :(