4 MONTHS INTO GYM AND WEIGHT REMAINS THE SAME :((((((

Options

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    If you refuse to open your diary all you're going to get is generic advice. It won't help you but you'll feel better. Because that's going to help right?
  • kac25319
    Options
    I feel your pain - hand in there - just stop and re-examine where you're at with the whole think AND don't forget you are getting benefit from the workouts - you'll be fine
  • chrissywelsh10
    chrissywelsh10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Good plan on the heart rate monitor, for now though don't eat your exercise calories, weigh the food and track every bite. Try it for a week, and ping me anytime btw :)
  • JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had horrible comments when I asked a similar question a few weeks ago. When calculating exercise burnt calories I always take off 50% on what mfp says or exercise equipment. That way I don't over estimate it. I still have not lost weight but have started to loose inches. I always find it hard to eat 1250 calories but try. Just never have had a huge appetite. I have started to eat snacks on almonds and soy milk to increase calories. Take each day as it comes. Good luck.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    So today i got to my breaking point,i cried and cursed my body for not losing any weight,I stepped onto the scale today thinking I had lost some weight since i felt a bit better about my body. But to my suprise i have not lose anything. I am 28 years old, i weigh 60 kgs my highest weight ever. I am 1.54 ft tall. I just got back to gym 4 months ago, i exercise 5 times a week only cardio treadmill and stair stepper. I workout for 60 mins. I eat healthy foods and drink green teas. My goal weight is 50kgs but the rate im going i am not losing anything. My clothing doesnt feel loose on me either and im very uncomfortable. Over the last year i gained 7 kilos and when i got back to gym this year i gained 3 more. I am utterly disspointed and i thought by now i would be at least 55kgs and then get to goal weight by October. Everyone around me seems to be losing weight so easily. I am finding it very hard to lose weight and i used to be 48kgs in 2012. I think now im going to try proana diets just to speed up this weight losS. eating healthy and eating 1200 calories isnt working for me. There is a show i want to attend in december and i wanted to look my best and at my goal weight but im not losing a damn thing and i feel fat as ever :(((((( Please dont tell me the crap about eating more or starvation mode because i am quite a short height and this weight is too big for me. Someone even told me im gone fat and it hurt me but i didnt show it. Now 5 months into gym and not lost anything. Almost end of the year can not believe this. And yes i checked my thyroids etc and everything is normal.

Relax. Take a deep breath. I know what you're going through, but a proana diet is NOT the answer. I know you don't want to hear it, but eating more just might be the answer. Earlier this year I was eating 1600-1800 calories a day, lifting weights 60 minutes 2x a week, and doing 60-90 minutes of cardio 2-3x a week. The scale wasn't moving. My dear friend (a bodybuilder and trainer) told me he'd like to see me eat 6x a day, a total of about 2100 calories. Because I love and trust him, I gave it a month....and lost 4#.

For you, I think 1500 calories would be more appropriate. Try to get 40% of your calories from protein, and drink a MINIMUM of 64oz of water a day.

Just for the record....I'm 39, 5 ft 1.5 inches tall and weigh 184 lbs. I need to lose 20 lbs to be overweight.... But I wear a size 10/12 :)
  • cleopatra07
    Options
    I had horrible comments when I asked a similar question a few weeks ago. When calculating exercise burnt calories I always take off 50% on what mfp says or exercise equipment. That way I don't over estimate it. I still have not lost weight but have started to loose inches. I always find it hard to eat 1250 calories but try. Just never have had a huge appetite. I have started to eat snacks on almonds and soy milk to increase calories. Take each day as it comes. Good luck.

I also find it hard to eat 1200 calories a day but when i was at my goal weight in 2012 i was only eating about 800 calories a day,i was at the best shape of my life. Now it just seems like this weight doesnt want to come off. I have been in tears like most of the day because of this silly thing. I should not have stepped on the scale. My tummy feels so bloated though and i dont know why. i drink alot of coconut water and green tea also i have quest bars as a snack. I also need to invest in a heart rate monitor as well as i think my calories burned off and eaten are not accurate. Thank you and yeah people can often be rude and i wrote my question out of pure frustration so im sorry if i offended anyone here with the proana thing.
  • africanmasq
    Options
    OP, if you follow the advice people have given here, I'm sure you'll see some progress. If you're still having trouble, please do consider letting someone look at your food diary to see if they can spot anything that might be causing your problem. And ignore the negative comments. All the best :)
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I second what everyone else has said - MFP way overestimates how many calories exercise burns. Also, if you're lifting a lot, you could be putting on a lot of muscle mass and losing fat but not necessarily losing a lot weight...I guess that's a long shot, but it's possible. Which is why taking your measurements would be a good idea. But yes, it would help to be able to see your diary.

i THINK i will need to invest in those heart rate watches, maybe i am overestimating how many calories burned.

No comment on others comments, but the best HRM watch is the polar or a fitbit flex that can help you track your calories burned more efficiently and give you a better idea of how many calories you should be eating based on how active you are. 1200 calories isn't the magic number for all and yes were so used to less food equals weight loss, but that's not the truth, maybe your not eating enough, maybe your not tracking as accurately as you think either. Just try a few small changes and see if that helps but please don't not eat thinking its gonna help, long term its not healthy. just saying... good luck with everything. :)
  • cleopatra07
    Options
    So today i got to my breaking point,i cried and cursed my body for not losing any weight,I stepped onto the scale today thinking I had lost some weight since i felt a bit better about my body. But to my suprise i have not lose anything. I am 28 years old, i weigh 60 kgs my highest weight ever. I am 1.54 ft tall. I just got back to gym 4 months ago, i exercise 5 times a week only cardio treadmill and stair stepper. I workout for 60 mins. I eat healthy foods and drink green teas. My goal weight is 50kgs but the rate im going i am not losing anything. My clothing doesnt feel loose on me either and im very uncomfortable. Over the last year i gained 7 kilos and when i got back to gym this year i gained 3 more. I am utterly disspointed and i thought by now i would be at least 55kgs and then get to goal weight by October. Everyone around me seems to be losing weight so easily. I am finding it very hard to lose weight and i used to be 48kgs in 2012. I think now im going to try proana diets just to speed up this weight losS. eating healthy and eating 1200 calories isnt working for me. There is a show i want to attend in december and i wanted to look my best and at my goal weight but im not losing a damn thing and i feel fat as ever :(((((( Please dont tell me the crap about eating more or starvation mode because i am quite a short height and this weight is too big for me. Someone even told me im gone fat and it hurt me but i didnt show it. Now 5 months into gym and not lost anything. Almost end of the year can not believe this. And yes i checked my thyroids etc and everything is normal.

Relax. Take a deep breath. I know what you're going through, but a proana diet is NOT the answer. I know you don't want to hear it, but eating more just might be the answer. Earlier this year I was eating 1600-1800 calories a day, lifting weights 60 minutes 2x a week, and doing 60-90 minutes of cardio 2-3x a week. The scale wasn't moving. My dear friend (a bodybuilder and trainer) told me he'd like to see me eat 6x a day, a total of about 2100 calories. Because I love and trust him, I gave it a month....and lost 4#.

For you, I think 1500 calories would be more appropriate. Try to get 40% of your calories from protein, and drink a MINIMUM of 64oz of water a day.

Just for the record....I'm 39, 5 ft 1.5 inches tall and weigh 184 lbs. I need to lose 20 lbs to be overweight.... But I wear a size 10/12 :)

Thank you and as much as i would like to eat more i know i will not because im a bit afraid as im at my highest weight ever and i dont want to be any higher. I can not imagine getting to 70kgs for someone my height ,already other people have starte dto notice my weight gain because they remember me as being quite petite. Clothing doesnt look good on me and now i have to wear my mothers leggings if i go out because my own size doesnt fit me which is another frustration.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    [ Please understand, what you are doing is unhealthy and what you are contemplating unhealthier still. I don't know off the top of my head, but I suspect 50 kilos is underweight for your height. You are already at a perfectly healthy weight, so getting below that will be difficult at best.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    OP, what most of us are saying, is go back to the kitchen, where weight loss is truly conceived...measure, measure, measure, and weigh, weigh. Weight training is a good way to change body comp without losing weight, you seem to be doing nothing but cardio. I've not lost any weight in a month, but my body comp looks great and i've lost inches, and actually gained muscle. I know if I perservere, the trend will eventually go down again. But REMEMBER - abs are made in the kitchen...and weight loss as well. Re-evaluate your diet first. Don't ever give up...this game never ends...it's for life. If you're determined, you will eventually begin to lose weight. Try to remove the emotion out of it and stop giving yourself timelines! Wait until you start seeing a slow trend - you're pumping more cortisol in your system with all that added stress.

Good luck! :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • cleopatra07
    Options
    Good plan on the heart rate monitor, for now though don't eat your exercise calories, weigh the food and track every bite. Try it for a week, and ping me anytime btw :)

Thank you :-)
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain and your frustration - also humour/sarcasm sometimes gets lost on here :)
    But you definitely need to get a calorie deficit going, also consider when you're eating. When I lost the most weight, I was going to the gym for a 30-45min run at lunch time on a hungry stomach and then go back to my desk and have a miso soup. Most nutricious meals where in the evening.
    Also I'd cycle in the morning after having had omelet (two eggs, skinny milk and condiments) and a tomato. Plus a gallon of coffee.
    I've also kept a log of my weight for the last 8 years and you see a pattern re the time of the month etc...
    Hang in there, and definitely get a HRM watch - as humans we have a tendency to underestimate how calories we've eaten and overestimate how many we've burnt.... I know, it sucks :sad:
  • forestwyfe
    forestwyfe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I've done years of going to the gym, or exercise videos at home for 1 to an hour and a half. I've tried Weight Watchers, low calorie diets, low fat, no sugar, vegetarian, vegan, raw food, low-carb-high-protein, grain-free, paleo, the Mediterranean diet, French-Women-Don't-Get-Fat, Japanese-Women Don't-Get-Fat, just about anything you can think of that sounds like it might work. From my college years, my weight crept up a little bit every year, even though I was working on diet and exercise obsessively. Every month I'd gain a couple pounds during my period, and then one pound would seem to stick around after it was over.

Nothing worked for me until I started focusing on my macro nutrient ratios. Apparently for me, I can eat more calories if my macros are in proportion, and still lose weight. I lost 10 lbs the first month after I switched my focus. I have to make almost everything I eat at home, which is a bit of a pain with a busy schedule, but now I prefer it that way.

I also have come to believe in *moderate* but daily exercise, unless you are a performance athlete. I feel excessive exerise stresses the body and does more harm than good. I've cut my exercise down to 30 minutes a day and I almost always do something more fun than some machine at the gym.

Best of luck, and keep looking for what works. Trust your body and love yourself, but be skeptical about 95% of the diet authorities. If what they told you really worked, no one would have weight problems!
  • cleopatra07
    Options

OP, what most of us are saying, is go back to the kitchen, where weight loss is truly conceived...measure, measure, measure, and weigh, weigh. Weight training is a good way to change body comp without losing weight, you seem to be doing nothing but cardio. I've not lost any weight in a month, but my body comp looks great and i've lost inches, and actually gained muscle. I know if I perservere, the trend will eventually go down again. But REMEMBER - abs are made in the kitchen...and weight loss as well. Re-evaluate your diet first. Don't ever give up...this game never ends...it's for life. If you're determined, you will eventually begin to lose weight. Try to remove the emotion out of it and stop giving yourself timelines! Wait until you start seeing a slow trend - you're pumping more cortisol in your system with all that added stress.

Good luck! :flowerforyou: :happy:

Thank you for your advice and kindness! I just today had a bad day when i stepped on the scale ,i really actually thought i had lost weight because i felt a bit lighter. I find myself obsessing over counting calories and i do measure my food but i think i overestimate my calories burned. I will be investing in a heart rate monitor because it is vital if i want to lose this weight. I had high hopes of losing this weight by November. It is an awful feeling not fitting into my smaller size clothing and having to resort to wearing some of my mums clothing.
  • seehowyousoar
    seehowyousoar Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    OP, this question has been asked, do you weigh and log all of your food and drinks [except water]?
    It would help if you opened your diary. :)
  • cleopatra07
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I've done years of going to the gym, or exercise videos at home for 1 to an hour and a half. I've tried Weight Watchers, low calorie diets, low fat, no sugar, vegetarian, vegan, raw food, low-carb-high-protein, grain-free, paleo, the Mediterranean diet, French-Women-Don't-Get-Fat, Japanese-Women Don't-Get-Fat, just about anything you can think of that sounds like it might work. From my college years, my weight crept up a little bit every year, even though I was working on diet and exercise obsessively. Every month I'd gain a couple pounds during my period, and then one pound would seem to stick around after it was over.

Nothing worked for me until I started focusing on my macro nutrient ratios. Apparently for me, I can eat more calories if my macros are in proportion, and still lose weight. I lost 10 lbs the first month after I switched my focus. I have to make almost everything I eat at home, which is a bit of a pain with a busy schedule, but now I prefer it that way.

I also have come to believe in *moderate* but daily exercise, unless you are a performance athlete. I feel excessive exerise stresses the body and does more harm than good. I've cut my exercise down to 30 minutes a day and I almost always do something more fun than some machine at the gym.

Best of luck, and keep looking for what works. Trust your body and love yourself, but be skeptical about 95% of the diet authorities. If what they told you really worked, no one would have weight problems!

THANK YOU. I have a work office job and the entire day i am sitting so im not sure if that has kept this weight on. I dont snack at my desk though and during lunch time i take a walk twice a week. Gym is at evenings. SOmetimes i feel like i need time off to lose this weight i know its silly really but i feel like i would be more focused if i had time off from work instead of sitting at a desk all day.
  • roeroe5
    Options
    Watch everything you put into your mouth, every Single sip and lick! Weigh (not measure) everthing. Your calories are higher than you think!!
  • cleopatra07
    Options
    [ Please understand, what you are doing is unhealthy and what you are contemplating unhealthier still. I don't know off the top of my head, but I suspect 50 kilos is underweight for your height. You are already at a perfectly healthy weight, so getting below that will be difficult at best.

Actually 50 kilos is in the normal range for a height of 1.54 metres tall. 60kgs is actually overweight for my height.
  • cleopatra07
    Options
    Watch everything you put into your mouth, every Single sip and lick! Weigh (not measure) everthing. Your calories are higher than you think!!

i think so too! thank you