4 MONTHS INTO GYM AND WEIGHT REMAINS THE SAME :((((((

Options

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Losing weight begins in the kitchen. If you aren't losing, then you're not eating at a deficit.
  • cleopatra07
    Options
    OP, if you follow the advice people have given here, I'm sure you'll see some progress. If you're still having trouble, please do consider letting someone look at your food diary to see if they can spot anything that might be causing your problem. And ignore the negative comments. All the best :)

Thank you so much! :)
  • 2014Christina
    Options
    You got some great advice here! My thoughts, you're working out too long and eating too little and don't just do cardio. Weights are the way to go.

You need to change things up a bit. Start out by weight training 2 days a week for 30 minutes. Up your calories to 1400, at least.

Good luck! Don't give up! :smile:
  • roeroe5
    Options

OP, what most of us are saying, is go back to the kitchen, where weight loss is truly conceived...measure, measure, measure, and weigh, weigh. Weight training is a good way to change body comp without losing weight, you seem to be doing nothing but cardio. I've not lost any weight in a month, but my body comp looks great and i've lost inches, and actually gained muscle. I know if I perservere, the trend will eventually go down again. But REMEMBER - abs are made in the kitchen...and weight loss as well. Re-evaluate your diet first. Don't ever give up...this game never ends...it's for life. If you're determined, you will eventually begin to lose weight. Try to remove the emotion out of it and stop giving yourself timelines! Wait until you start seeing a slow trend - you're pumping more cortisol in your system with all that added stress.

Good luck! :flowerforyou: :happy:

Thank you for your advice and kindness! I just today had a bad day when i stepped on the scale ,i really actually thought i had lost weight because i felt a bit lighter. I find myself obsessing over counting calories and i do measure my food but i think i overestimate my calories burned. I will be investing in a heart rate monitor because it is vital if i want to lose this weight. I had high hopes of losing this weight by November. It is an awful feeling not fitting into my smaller size clothing and having to resort to wearing some of my mums clothing.

Shame, can only imagine how horrible that is :-( ..you'll figure it out, hang in there and don't quit. My nr1 advice - cut everthing you are drinking and only drink water for a week or two, see if liquids might be your problem.
  • cleopatra07
    Options
    You got some great advice here! My thoughts, you're working out too long and eating too little and don't just do cardio. Weights are the way to go.

You need to change things up a bit. Start out by weight training 2 days a week for 30 minutes. Up your calories to 1400, at least.

Good luck! Don't give up! :smile:

I have always wanted to do weights but my gym is just too packed and there are people waiting in lines to use the weight so i dont want to waste time waiting to use a pair of weights although i only get weekends to try it as the gym isnt so busy then. I gain muscle on my legs quite fast though.
  • cleopatra07
    Options

OP, what most of us are saying, is go back to the kitchen, where weight loss is truly conceived...measure, measure, measure, and weigh, weigh. Weight training is a good way to change body comp without losing weight, you seem to be doing nothing but cardio. I've not lost any weight in a month, but my body comp looks great and i've lost inches, and actually gained muscle. I know if I perservere, the trend will eventually go down again. But REMEMBER - abs are made in the kitchen...and weight loss as well. Re-evaluate your diet first. Don't ever give up...this game never ends...it's for life. If you're determined, you will eventually begin to lose weight. Try to remove the emotion out of it and stop giving yourself timelines! Wait until you start seeing a slow trend - you're pumping more cortisol in your system with all that added stress.

Good luck! :flowerforyou: :happy:

Thank you for your advice and kindness! I just today had a bad day when i stepped on the scale ,i really actually thought i had lost weight because i felt a bit lighter. I find myself obsessing over counting calories and i do measure my food but i think i overestimate my calories burned. I will be investing in a heart rate monitor because it is vital if i want to lose this weight. I had high hopes of losing this weight by November. It is an awful feeling not fitting into my smaller size clothing and having to resort to wearing some of my mums clothing.

Shame, can only imagine how horrible that is :-( ..you'll figure it out, hang in there and don't quit. My nr1 advice - cut everthing you are drinking and only drink water for a week or two, see if liquids might be your problem.

It really is and i feel bad for asking my mum to lend me her leggings just so i can wear something that fits me if i go out. Im not going to give up though, ill keep exercising and drinking lots of water.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I had horrible comments when I asked a similar question a few weeks ago. When calculating exercise burnt calories I always take off 50% on what mfp says or exercise equipment. That way I don't over estimate it. I still have not lost weight but have started to loose inches. I always find it hard to eat 1250 calories but try. Just never have had a huge appetite. I have started to eat snacks on almonds and soy milk to increase calories. Take each day as it comes. Good luck.

I also find it hard to eat 1200 calories a day but when i was at my goal weight in 2012 i was only eating about 800 calories a day,i was at the best shape of my life. Now it just seems like this weight doesnt want to come off. I have been in tears like most of the day because of this silly thing. I should not have stepped on the scale. My tummy feels so bloated though and i dont know why. i drink alot of coconut water and green tea also i have quest bars as a snack. I also need to invest in a heart rate monitor as well as i think my calories burned off and eaten are not accurate. Thank you and yeah people can often be rude and i wrote my question out of pure frustration so im sorry if i offended anyone here with the proana thing.

OP, if eating 800 calories was the only way you could maintain your goal weight, you were not healthy and in the best shape of your life. You cannot get the nutrients you need on 800 calories per day. That is way too low and has serious health repercussions.

Make sure you are weighing and measuring everything you eat, and log accurately. If you find yourself obsessing over calories and weight, please see a doctor, get help, and take care of yourself. If you decide you need help, check out this link for resources: http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources
  • Mohana94
    Options
    I had horrible comments when I asked a similar question a few weeks ago. When calculating exercise burnt calories I always take off 50% on what mfp says or exercise equipment. That way I don't over estimate it. I still have not lost weight but have started to loose inches. I always find it hard to eat 1250 calories but try. Just never have had a huge appetite. I have started to eat snacks on almonds and soy milk to increase calories. Take each day as it comes. Good luck.

I also find it hard to eat 1200 calories a day but when i was at my goal weight in 2012 i was only eating about 800 calories a day,i was at the best shape of my life. Now it just seems like this weight doesnt want to come off. I have been in tears like most of the day because of this silly thing. I should not have stepped on the scale. My tummy feels so bloated though and i dont know why. i drink alot of coconut water and green tea also i have quest bars as a snack. I also need to invest in a heart rate monitor as well as i think my calories burned off and eaten are not accurate. Thank you and yeah people can often be rude and i wrote my question out of pure frustration so im sorry if i offended anyone here with the proana thing.

800 calories is too low. You should eat more since you're actively going to the gym now. You need more energy. Investing in a heart rate monitor is a step in the right direction. All the best! You can do it :flowerforyou:
  • cleopatra07
    Options

800 calories is too low. You should eat more since you're actively going to the gym now. You need more energy. Investing in a heart rate monitor is a step in the right direction. All the best! You can do it :flowerforyou:

Thank you but i wanted to know will i gain weight more if it have a job where im sitting at a desk all day?
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options

I have always wanted to do weights but my gym is just too packed and there are people waiting in lines to use the weight so i dont want to waste time waiting to use a pair of weights although i only get weekends to try it as the gym isnt so busy then. I gain muscle on my legs quite fast though.

Maybe do what i do.
    I just bought myself some light weights (0,.5kg) and i do a Workout Dvd at home - 'Shaun T Hip Hop Abs'. (Cardio and weights)
    And just get slightly heavier weights when you get more experienced.
    I switched from doing just Cardio because i wasn't really seeing results (plus i think my body just got used to doing the same old cardio workout).
    But since i switched to doing weight bearing Exercise, i've seen a diiference!
    I've also found, that unless you buy a very good (i.e usually more expensive) Heart rate Monitor - some are not that accurate either.
    I normally use this Calorie Calculator here (then lower the number slightly).
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/energyexp.htm But this works well for ME. So maybe go by the MFP calulator and lower the number by around 30-40%.
    Good luck with everything!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Along with what kgeyser stated, you still haven't answered whether or not you have a food scale and use it. Also, can you open your food diary? I suspect since you said you drink a ton of coconut water and green tea, you are consuming a ton of calories. Also, if you did eat 800 calories for an extended period of time, there is a good chance that metabolic adaptation occurred and you lost a good bit of lean body mass, which lowered your BMR and your associated TDEE, which will make it harder to lose.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Also consider that your body is not the same it was in 2012... Everything changes, for the better. You just need to learn how it works :)
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thank you but i wanted to know will i gain weight more if it have a job where im sitting at a desk all day?
    No, you wont. Most of us have a desk job.
  • Taylorabes
    Taylorabes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't panic. You are small and losing significant amounts of weight at this stage will be a slow burner. It is realistic to lose weight before December but I would suggest changing what you are doing at the gym. Your body gets used to the same exercises so it starts to counter the weight loss effect. I was running pretty much everyday and making no progress.

I now do a a series of different weights every morning at home (bought them on ebay) and do classes three times a week at the gym - Zumba, Boxercise and Military Circuits. This has started to shift approximately 0.5 pound per week whilst toning up the wobbly bits.

I would echo the water advise, I really think it makes a difference. Eat right - no refined/processed foods.

Eating 800 calories is probably not sustainable and you are likely to fall of the wagon.

Good luck with it all I hope this helps
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Don't panic. You are small and losing significant amounts of weight at this stage will be a slow burner. It is realistic to lose weight before December but I would suggest changing what you are doing at the gym. Your body gets used to the same exercises so it starts to counter the weight loss effect. I was running pretty much everyday and making no progress.

I now do a a series of different weights every morning at home (bought them on ebay) and do classes three times a week at the gym - Zumba, Boxercise and Military Circuits. This has started to shift approximately 0.5 pound per week whilst toning up the wobbly bits.

I would echo the water advise, I really think it makes a difference. Eat right - no refined/processed foods.

Eating 800 calories is probably not sustainable and you are likely to fall of the wagon.

Good luck with it all I hope this helps

Refined and processed foods will not effect anything. You can eat both and still lose weight. Most of us eat 80% of our diet from nutrient dense foods and still incorporated both of those into our diets. Weight loss is calories in vs out.
  • miriyummy
    miriyummy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I remember being 50kg as a teenager. I was only 5'1" but my school almost had me sectioned because they decided I was too thin. I was made to sit with staff for 3 meals a day and force fed. I wasn't even worried about my weight, I just didn't like the awful food they were feeding us.
    My advice, if you force yourself to do something, you're going to hate it.
    So today i got to my breaking point,i cried and cursed my body for not losing any weight,I stepped onto the scale today thinking I had lost some weight since i felt a bit better about my body. But to my suprise i have not lose anything. I am 28 years old, i weigh 60 kgs my highest weight ever. I am 1.54 ft tall. I just got back to gym 4 months ago, i exercise 5 times a week only cardio treadmill and stair stepper. I workout for 60 mins. I eat healthy foods and drink green teas. My goal weight is 50kgs but the rate im going i am not losing anything. My clothing doesnt feel loose on me either and im very uncomfortable. Over the last year i gained 7 kilos and when i got back to gym this year i gained 3 more. I am utterly disspointed and i thought by now i would be at least 55kgs and then get to goal weight by October. Everyone around me seems to be losing weight so easily. I am finding it very hard to lose weight and i used to be 48kgs in 2012. eating healthy and eating 1200 calories isnt working for me. There is a show i want to attend in december and i wanted to look my best and at my goal weight but im not losing a damn thing and i feel fat as ever :(((((( Please dont tell me the crap about eating more or starvation mode because i am quite a short height and this weight is too big for me. Someone even told me im gone fat and it hurt me but i didnt show it. Now 5 months into gym and not lost anything. Almost end of the year can not believe this. And yes i checked my thyroids etc and everything is normal.
  • Mohana94
    Options

It will not. Don't weigh yourself everyday because weight does fluctuate throughout the day. Weigh about once a week. Don't increase your calorie intake all at once. Increasing by 100 cal per week sounds alright. Majority of people have desk jobs so I don't think you'll gain more weight. The trick is to watch what you eat and make sure you have a calorie deficit. Unless you overeat your maintenance calories by 500 cal everyday, you won't be seeing increase in your weight. :) hope that helps.
  • steelfalcon89
    Options
    If you do the same exact workouts all the time then you will peak and be used to it. Your body will treat it like that's the normal thing and accommodate to it in a more efficient manner, thereby burning less calories in the end. As for food, that's always a tough one to figure out. Some people can eat 2500 calories in a day, workout maybe only 3 times a week, and maintain. Others can do the same at 1200. If you can't figure out what eating habits work for you on your own, ask professional help from both a nutritionist and a trainer. As for working out, usually you'll experience your best gains, or losses, in the first month. You'll see significant reduction in those by month 3. Then by month 6 your body treats it as normal. For gains or losses through exercises in order to keep seeing differences, even minutely, you have to stay out of your comfort zone. Add variety. For instance, running on the ground or hitting stadium stairs etc burns far more calories than using equipment. Helps build up muscle better too. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at a resting state. Small as that amount is, most of us spend at least half of our day not doing much more than walking or lifting light to mid weight objects around. Caloric deficits are great for losing weight but be very cautious. If any of that weight lost comes from muscle then you are just hurting yourself in the long run because that is entirely unhealthy, in both the physical and the nutritional aspect. If 1200 calories is all you're eating in a day then make those 1200 worthwhile calories haha.
  • BusyCyclist
    BusyCyclist Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've already gotten a lot of advice. I can understand how you feel, because the same happened to me. I got to a very uncomfortable weight (for me personally), so I went to the gym and and I gained another 2.5kgs. I was so frustrated. here's how I got out of it:
    I measured all my food and still allowed myself 1600-1800 cal a day.
    I bought JM 30 day shred and 2kg weights and I exercised everyday for one month. I did ripped in 30 straight after.
    I tried to eat as low carb as possible without ever denying myself little treats like wine or dark chocolate.
    Now I'm mixing up my exercising and I work out most days (6 out of 7). I am 6 kg down in a little over 3 months. Still 7 kg to go! I didn't do a diet, I changed my lifestyle and I re-compositioned my body. It worked for me and I hope it helps you.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You're not in a calorie deficit.
    You aren't 'gaining loads of muscle'.
    You don't NEED to exercise to lose weight - you need a calorie deficit.
    You're not in a calorie deficit - it's as simple as that.

^^^ This ^^^