Calorie Burn Variations

Options
Alright, two questions. And, from the outset, I just want to make it clear that I'm not asking the questions so I can eek out a few extra exercise calories and have a bar of chocolate :devil: , I really just want to know the answers.

1. Do you 'burn' more calories awake than asleep? I've not been sleeping well and have found myself awake for significant portions of the day. I might not do anything extra when awake (i read or watch TV), but is there any discernible difference in calorie use (woudl be a better word than burn)?

2. I cycle a lot and have often wondered that if I cycle at, say, 15 miles per hour for 25 minutes with no wind, and the same speed and time into a significant wind, do I burn the same calories? If so, again, is there a discernible difference?

Now, i'm away for that chocolate bar I mentioned.........................:bigsmile:

Replies

• TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    bump.... c'mon I need answers.......pleeeeaassseeee
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I cycle a lot and have often wondered that if I cycle at, say, 15 miles per hour for 25 minutes with no wind, and the same speed and time into a significant wind, do I burn the same calories? If so, again, is there a discernible difference?
    Cycling into the wind takes more force/energy to overcome the increased aerodynamic drag. How much of a factor it is depends on your shape, clothing, size, riding position and to a lesser degree the aerodynamics of your bike.

Higher your speed (or wind speed) the more of a factor it becomes (drag increases in relation to square of the speed).

A HRM or power meter would be two options if you want a reasonable estimate of your cycling calorie burns. For only 25 minutes the difference isn't going to be that significant though. MFP's estimate for cycling at 14-16mph is pretty close to what I see on my HRM, I find MFP's 16-20MPH estimate to be comically high.

The other way to look at it is if you can cycle at 15mph into the wind then you aren't trying hard enough when there's no wind!
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The other way to look at it is if you can cycle at 15mph into the wind then you aren't trying hard enough when there's no wind!

:laugh: Fair enough
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

:laugh: Fair enough
    To quote Greg Lemond:
    “It doesn’t get any easier, you just get faster.”