When to record a weight loss

Options
Do you automatically count your weight loss the 1st day? If you weigh everyday. I know how much weight can go up and down. I usually want to see the number more than once before I log it, just in case.

Replies

• naturalval
    Options
    I am only weighing myself once a week...on the same day of the week I signed up here. So Saturday mornings. That is the only weight I will record. I am actually staying away from the scale otherwise and measuring myself every couple of weeks.
    I have had issues with the scale being too much in control over how I feel about myself and am taking that 'power' back.
  • Jbonar
    Jbonar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I only record my weight (loss or gain) once a week (try for same day/time of day). That way I can see the overall trend without all the fluctuations. I do hop on the scale most every morning, but really more out of habit and to keep myself focused. For some people weighing everyday becomes an unhealthy habit, but if you don't let it affect your mood and you understand that many variables will cause up/down changes you are fine.
  • ValleyDiva
    Options
    I agree that once a week is more than enough. I am told we should not weigh ourselves everyday. Hard habit to break.
  • dennpars
    dennpars Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Personally, I only weigh myself once/week. Any more than that and you run into the daily fluctuations that you're talking about. Twice a week would be the most I would recommend. If you really want to weigh in every day, then record every instance, just make sure that you weigh yourself at the same time, in the same state, every day. The trend, even though it may be jumpy, will still be in the correct direction if you're being true to your diet.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I weight myself on Monday. If I see a loss. I weight myself again on Wednesday or Thursday to make sure the weight loss "sticks". Then I record it. I try not to weigh everyday.
  • ChristaS
    ChristaS Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily because it helps keep me on track for the day. I record it every time I have a loss, no so good at recording the gains lol I only record a gain if it stays up. generally for me that doesn't happen usually unless it my TOTM.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I tend to only check myself once to twice a week. Reason being, when you work out frequently, you will lose fat, but gain muscle, which is heavier, so I dont like to be depressed when looking at a scale amount if my measurements and body image are changing in a positive manner.

I sort of do the same with my calorie intake. If I ate nothing but whole wheats, proteins, and vegetables all day, but go over my calorie count a little, I dont stress it too much because my vitamin intake (the natural way from food, not supplements) is usually exactly where it should be and the 'bad' things arent in the red either.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh daily and I record the loss when I see it. It's a personal choice really; no wrong or right answer here. If the fluctuations really bother you, then weekly is probably best for you. But, if you can step on the scale and aren't bothered by a small gain (because you know it's just a normal fluctuation), then by all means, weigh daily. I've read many studies that suggest those that weigh themselves more often lost more weight and prevent more weight gain.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself alot, several times a day sometimes. However, I do not record a weight loss until I have either held it for three days or if I am substantially under the weight I record. Sometimes I will see it go back up a little, even after I have met those criteria. It is just a warning to be ever vigilant.
  • maeflower1234
    maeflower1234 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. Since I have only been at this under 2 months I find it helps. I like to see the flucuations then I know I need to drink more water or try a little harder if it has gone up. I log the loss after seeing it 3 days in a row.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. Since I have only been at this under 2 months I find it helps. I like to see the flucuations then I know I need to drink more water or try a little harder if it has gone up. I log the loss after seeing it 3 days in a row.

That was pretty much my approach and it worked for me :smile:
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    I actually weight myself all the time. a few times a day even. I know there will be up and down fluctuations and I'm fine with that. I only record what I weight Monday mornings though (once a week). If I start getting frustrated with what I see on the scale I will probably stop. I like to see if some of those higher numbers stay away though or if they are still there just a later in the day kind of thing keeps me motivated to keep working to get those bigger numbers to not show up again.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice every day.. I will only log a loss if I see the same lower weight two days in a row. I know this is bad but weighing often helps keep me accountable.
  • misskate1971
    misskate1971 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I used to let that dictate how my day is going, but now I use it as a way to keep me on my path to my goal weight. I forgive myself if I am up, because I know I can watch my calories/sodium/fat intake and then get in some more exercise. I even cleaned the house today because I knew I could get some exercise calories! :)

Keep going, everyone!!! We CAN become healthier & lighter!

Kate
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    This week I'm starting to record every Sunday but continue weighing everyday. I saw a loss this morning but won't record it unless I see it 2-3 times in a row or maybe I'll only record once a week. I go back and forth.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I do the daily weigh in, and log it when I see the same or less 3 days in a row. You just can't let the fluctuations get you riled up.
  • DawniesLife
    Options
    I weigh in once a week [on Fridays] and record then and only then. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this, but personally it would drive me crazy to weigh in more often!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every single morning and write it in a little notebook. Every sunday morning I write it in the notebook AND add it here. No matter if that day is a little different from the rest of the week or not, it'll even out the next week :)