Needings some community accountability....

Options
I've been up and down this rollercoaster so many times I lost count. Stepping outside my comfort zone and looking at different ways to keep myself on track.

Rather than re-hash my story, I'll simply post what I put in my personal blog. It pretty much sums my struggles up....

My closest friend know what this is about. It’s no secret that, like many other American, I struggle with my weight. From ballooning up to almost 300 lbs in college, to hitting a low of about 215 about a year after I got married, it’s been a never ending roller coaster. I’ve been in denial for a long time that I was one of the countless people that yo yo back and forth. One of the main reasons for this, is that I know better.

I have degrees in both Athletic Training and Health and Human Performance. Exercise science is one of my expertise, and I have more than an adequate background in nutrition. This knowledge has given me the tools to bring my weight under control, but only for a short time. Ultimately, it’s my personal choices and bad habits that doom me. Some folks have the disadvantage of not knowing where or how to start their health and wellness journey. I do not have that disadvantage, and that makes my story and situation pathetic in my opinion. I know how to do better, I just don’t.

I’ve decided that some of that may be due to accountability. Holding people accountable that struggle with their weight is always a touchy issue. Feelings get hurt. I can speak from personal experience. I don’t like it when I get called out by my wife, let alone others that are nowhere near as close to me. Most folks would rather sit by and watch their loved ones struggle and slowly kill themselves with food rather than risking damaging a relationship. I can’t blame them honestly. I’m probably the same way.

However, we all have a responsibility to hold ourselves accountable. At the end of the day, no one choses what I put in my mouth but me. No one is going to force me to get up to my 4am alarm but me. Having this blog will hopefully make my desire to hold myself more accountable more tangible. No longer is it an internal struggle that only I know about. Now it’s out there. I’ve always been a stickler for follow through, and if others have knowledge of my intentions, then I’ll be less inclined to make excuses.

As for how I plan to go about this, it really is about my food consumption. Fitness and exercise have never been a issue with me. To date, I’ve got 5 half marathons under my belt. I will however, shift away from running as being the base of my fitness routine. It will be a large part of it, but when I focus on it so much as I do when I’m training for a race, other aspects of fitness (weight training, UE strength) suffer. My fitness will be broken down into 3 parts. Cardio, strength training, and plyometrics/body weight training.

As far as my diet, unfortunately, the only way I’ve ever had success it to put myself on a closely regulated calorie count, focusing on getting those calories from nutrient dense foods. I’ll put a concerted effort to get a majority of my calories from lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and unprocessed whole grains. My calorie count goal will between 1500 and 1800 per day.

The part that I know I will struggle with the most, especially in the beginning, is my mood. Unfortunately, while my body adjusts to the new restrictions on diet, I become an *kitten* hole. After a while I tend to level off, but that can eventually give way to a person that becomes obsessed with my diet parameters. That can be just as difficult to deal with for my loved ones. I’m praying that I’m able to strike some sense of balance during this journey.

Anyway, if you’ve gotten this far, thanks for reading. It’s not the most exciting thing in the world, but hopefully this outlet can help me find a way to once and for all get off this roller coaster that I’ve been on for over 12 years.

Thanks,

Bryon

Replies

• VegFit72
    VegFit72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi Bryon. You sound similar to me in the way that I am a fitness trainer and have been in fitness since I was 16yr old--now I'm almost 42yrs. I know what to do but it's hard to do it sometimes. I've never battled with my weight but I do desire to get leaner as in see my abs lean. I will help hold you accountable if you like. I will write a bit more about myself on my profile when I have some time.
    Blessings
    Kim
  • BryonRamos
    BryonRamos Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kim. Seeing my abs for the first time would be okay with me, lol!

I can tell that I've been having issues with mood and cravings already. Even if I'm not incredibly hungry, I catch myself being more short tempered. Really need some way to get that under control.

As far as eating, I need to pay more attention to what my body is saying.

I tend to eat sometimes, just because the food is there. There's something deep down inside of me that feels like if I don't eat it, I'll miss out on it. Then, when I actually am hungry, I will over eat. I will continue to eat until I feel stuffed.

I know these aren't issues that much different from others, but just writing them out, and dragging them into the light might help me find a way to change.
  • _sirenofthesea_
    _sirenofthesea_ Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to remember that you are human, too - being educated in the field of fitness doesn't make you immune to the pitfalls many people struggle with. You're owning them and putting that out there is a huge step - so good for you!

As far as accountability - I'm that person that needs someone to call me on my bull**** - and while I know it's my journey, and I 'have to do it myself' it helps to have a backup system when I choose not to -

Great job on recognizing where some of your weaknesses are - you'll conquer it :)
    Nic
  • BryonRamos
    BryonRamos Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to remember that you are human, too - being educated in the field of fitness doesn't make you immune to the pitfalls many people struggle with. You're owning them and putting that out there is a huge step - so good for you!

As far as accountability - I'm that person that needs someone to call me on my bull**** - and while I know it's my journey, and I 'have to do it myself' it helps to have a backup system when I choose not to -

Great job on recognizing where some of your weaknesses are - you'll conquer it :)
    Nic

Thanks Addy! It's a foreign adventure for me.

I've always kept my struggles with my weight a very private issue, which is absurd considering how public the results of it are. I relished in the praise I would receive when I would drop weight. I remember when I graduated college I was around 290. When I returned from my first semester of grad school, I was down to about 250. I loved the positive attention.

At this point I just want to get to where I need to be and stay there.

So far (since Tuesday) it's been a typical rough start. No setbacks, but I'm really having to adjust to being a little hungry, tired, or cranky as my body adjusts.

Hopefully I don't get crazy on the weekend. I find it so much easier to overindulge when I'm at my own house... or there's beer to be drank, lol!
  • Vonikins
    Vonikins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    As a accountant, I have internal cringing some days when I don't think my personal financial household is running as smooth and I know it should and I expect of myself. Sometimes knowledge and awareness in a field doesn't not mean easy follow through in implementation of the knowledge. Forgive yourself for the rollercoaster. We all have wobbly aspects of our lives and expertise of knowledge doesn't mean perfection of knowledge. It is great that you have a massive toolbox of resources relating to knowing how to achieve living a healthy, balanced life. Celebrate that all the detours that made up your rollercoaster trek so far gives you more empathy for others experiencing a similar journey and respect the humility in knowing it does take a village sometimes to achieve a personal goal.

As for your hesitation, embarrassment to being called out by your spouse and other close friends, use that embarrassment to fuel your journey rather than run from it. When I really start slipping in my goals, I specifically ask my husband to call me out when I'm making bad choices because I know I'm really not hiding it from anyone and if I don't get called out I can mentally attempt to convince myself that no one notices and therefore one slip doesn't matter. I personally need to hear that it does matter and it is noticed and I have striven to get past the feeling of embarrassment and transitioned the emotional energy to knowing I'm worth the fight, the recommitment to do better for myself. You can do this, forgive yourself and channel your focus.
  • sramsey67
    Options
    Friend me and we can work on accountability