Why am I gaining weight?

Options
I have been working out for just about a week and have been doing my best to eat better. I have cut out most all processed foods and only have a little chocolate to satisfy those cravings. I know I shouldn't expect much in a week but my pants are tighter now then when I started. I have been doing cardio kick boxing as a workout. I should also mention that about 10 mths ago I had a c-section not sure if that has any relevance. But I am getting discouraged when working out leads me to gaining. Scale has gone up and pants are almost to tight to wear.

Replies

• swet02
    Options
    I suggest you look for a weighing scale fat analysis....Try to check your caloric intake again. Try to list all the food you took for that day, you might be eating too much calories than you should. Deduct 400 calories from your required daily caloric intake. Just go with it, you can do it. Ive had frustrations before, but still kept going. Im not there yet, But soon I will.. Don't Stop..just listen to your body more and find someone you can share with...you will learn more things about getting fit.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you just started working out, you're going to be retaining more water to repair your muscles. Be patient, it will go away once you've been doing it for more than a week.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Those scales that measure BF, etc are highly inaccurate and I'm not sure why the other poster is advising OP to drop 400 calories without even knowing their calorie goal....

Op, its only been 1 week. Picking up exercise can cause water retention. It's not true "gain", it's your bodies response to upping activity. Make sure you're accurately tracking your calories, aren't overestimating exercise, and give it a few weeks before reevaluating. This is a game of patience and determination. Don't give up.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Mainer!

Do NOT take the advice above re: deducting 400 calories. That is irresponsible advice as this person has no idea what your diet is like. You also don't need a fat anaysis scale as most of those are wildly inaccurate.

If you just started working out, that could be the problem. When you're new to exercise or increase the intensity of your workouts, the muscles retain water and glycogen as part of the natural healing process. Basically anytime you're sore from a workout, it's likely you'll see a stall or slight gain on the scale. This is not a bad thing and something that will go away as your body acclimates to the new routine.

Are you logging accurately and consistently? It doesn't matter how much you exercise, if your calories aren't in check you won't lose. Eat within calories to lose weight, exercise for fitness.

Could your pants be tighter due to that time of the month, digestive issues or bloating for other reasons?

Are you eating back earned exercise calories? If so, be careful with that as MFP listings tend to be overestimates. Try to eat back more like 1/2 of them and see how you do.

Good luck!
  • Tabithas_Transformation
    Options
    Welcome to your weight loss journey! The quickest answer to your question is "I have been working out for just about a week". It's been a week! If you're going to be successful, you'll have to learn to have patience with this. You didn't gain all the weight in one week so you can't lose it in a week either. You might not see the scale budge for a couple of weeks, and even then it might only be half a pound.

Weight fluctuations (water retention etc) are natural and out of your control so you may even see the scales go up from time to time.

However, don't give up! This is only the beginning - work out, track your calories and make this a lifestyle change!

Here are some links for new starters. Have a good read through the forums too as there are a lot of helpful responses and resources being shared.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069268-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Its water retention due to the new exercise program. You don't say if you're counting calories? Weight loss starts in the kitchen.
  • Mel61408
    Options
    I understand I am not going to loose much in a week. But I didn't think I was going to gain more. I have been tracking what I eat well before I was working out.

It gets very discouraging when you start making changes and it cause you to gain weight.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    It's been one week. One.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I understand I am not going to loose much in a week. But I didn't think I was going to gain more. I have been tracking what I eat well before I was working out.

It gets very discouraging when you start making changes and it cause you to gain weight.

You cant look at it as "gaining". You just starting working out, your body is saying "HEY what are you doing to me", and it is retaining water to help repair your muscles. This "gain" will go away, but you just have to stick with it. You have been at it a week, give it more time. This isnt a race, patience is the key.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Are you eating too little calories or too much calories? Maybe you need to cut down on the exercise. You are doing too much it seems. Cut it down to 3 times a week and see how you go.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

How are you tracking your food? Are you weighing solids and measuring liquids? If not, you're probably eating more than you think. Also, I agree with the water retention thing from working out. Take those suggestions and give it a MONTH. If then you are still gaining, I'd suggest seeing a doctor to see if you might have some sort of condition.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I have been working out for just about a week and have been doing my best to eat better. I have cut out most all processed foods and only have a little chocolate to satisfy those cravings. I know I shouldn't expect much in a week but my pants are tighter now then when I started. I have been doing cardio kick boxing as a workout. I should also mention that about 10 mths ago I had a c-section not sure if that has any relevance. But I am getting discouraged when working out leads me to gaining. Scale has gone up and pants are almost to tight to wear.

Question for you: did you gain all this extra weight in a week?

Probably not; so I'm going to say be patient! I know it's not easy but it takes time, and it takes a bit of time for your body to adjust to working out if you aren't used to it and you can retain fluid during this time, too.

Just be patient, stick to it. It's so easy to want to see results right away and so many ads and programs have you believing you should just drop as much weight as possible as quickly as possible so everyone wants to see results the next morning; but that won't happen.

Also, the most effective long term weight loss is slow and steady, that way your body has time to adjust to it and your lifestyle will also adjust. If you do one of those programs to get you skinny quick you could end up being skinny fat, doing damage to your vital organs, rebounding and gaining the weight back plus some, experiencing digestive issues, and so on. There's a lot of concerns with these quick programs.

Best of luck to you! And please feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    its only be a week
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

#1 - Its only been a week
    #2 - Do you weigh everything?
    #3 - How much sodium/water are you taking in?
    #4 - When you just start to work out your body stores more glycogen/water to repair the muscles.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Mainer!

Do NOT take the advice above re: deducting 400 calories. That is irresponsible advice as this person has no idea what your diet is like. You also don't need a fat anaysis scale as most of those are wildly inaccurate.

If you just started working out, that could be the problem. When you're new to exercise or increase the intensity of your workouts, the muscles retain water and glycogen as part of the natural healing process. Basically anytime you're sore from a workout, it's likely you'll see a stall or slight gain on the scale. This is not a bad thing and something that will go away as your body acclimates to the new routine.

Are you logging accurately and consistently? It doesn't matter how much you exercise, if your calories aren't in check you won't lose. Eat within calories to lose weight, exercise for fitness.

Could your pants be tighter due to that time of the month, digestive issues or bloating for other reasons?

Are you eating back earned exercise calories? If so, be careful with that as MFP listings tend to be overestimates. Try to eat back more like 1/2 of them and see how you do.

Good luck!

all this

You need to know how many calories you're eating before you can go up or down with them. It may be water. Drink more water
    ( which still sounds crazy to me) but I've been told by several professionals to drink more water if I'm retaining water. I've also been told that most people should drink more than 6-8 cups depending on weight and activity level. I'm sure you can research online what your water intake should be. I find mfp to be about double on the exercise calories burned so eating back 1/2 is great advise. Also A week isn't a long time. I know it's frustrating, especially if you see others that drop .5 - 2 lbs consistently on a weekly basis. I never drop that way I usually stay the same for 3-4 weeks and then usually have a nice loss out of nowhere. Averages out the same but I just have to be patient. Stick with it and be consistent.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Mainer!

Good luck!

all this

You need to know how many calories you're eating before you can go up or down with them. It may be water. Drink more water
    ( which still sounds crazy to me) but I've been told by several professionals to drink more water if I'm retaining water. I've also been told that most people should drink more than 6-8 cups depending on weight and activity level. I'm sure you can research online what your water intake should be. I find mfp to be about double on the exercise calories burned so eating back 1/2 is great advise. Also A week isn't a long time. I know it's frustrating, especially if you see others that drop .5 - 2 lbs consistently on a weekly basis. I never drop that way I usually stay the same for 3-4 weeks and then usually have a nice loss out of nowhere. Averages out the same but I just have to be patient. Stick with it and be consistent.

Yes - drinking more water can help because when your cells are using water in helping to repair your muscles, they use more than they're used to and the stores depleat. Then when they get more water again, they'll hold onto it for dear life almost. So really, by drinking more water it will help your cells to release the extra water they're already holding on to.

:)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

Also, most people don't realize that weight fluctuates constantly and that's totally normal. Were you weighing yourself weekly before you started making changes? If not, and almost nobody does, your "official starting Day 1 weight" could've been at a low point in your natural fluctuation cycle. You can't tell anything about the big picture by just looking at two data points. You need to give it some time.