Metallic taste...

Options
abyt42
abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
I'm not sure if this is a food and nutrition or a wellness question, but:

I have this metallic taste in my mouth (and have since after dinner last night.) I've brushed several times, had coffee & a yogurt, brushed again...downed water.... everything tastes as if I'm also sucking pennies (well, how pennies smell.)

No bloody nose, no bleeding gums, so that's out as a cause. I'm just wondering if anyone has an idea about how to make it stop!

Replies

• Halochic
    Halochic Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor. Certain medications can leave this taste in your mouth too.
  • nordens
    nordens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A metallic taste in your mouth can actually be a 'symptom' of losing weight. I'm not sure of the science behind it but I heard it from my Dr once. I just googled it to make sure it was true...and it would seem to be the case!
  • think_thin
    Options
    A metallic taste can also be caused from an old fillinng (silver) in one of your teeth that is leaking. Hope you figure it out.
  • Chalktawmom
    Chalktawmom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    calcium - I used to work in phlebotomy (blood banking) and if someone was donating platelets it would temporarily deplete them of calcium while on the machine(side effect of the additives) ....so we kept Tums handy for the donors to eat while donating. It helped a lot. I would definitely ask a doctor though.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback... definitely not a filling leaking, so I'll see about upping the calcium a little (I tend to be low anyway.) We'll see.
  • jhann16
    jhann16 Posts: 62
    Options
    If you still have it after a couple of days, I'd see a doctor. I get a metallic taste whenever my sinuses are acting up.