Female, 5'8", 195 lbs. Calories for weight loss?

Options
I recently went to a dietitian for a nutrition consultation for weight loss. She recommended I eat 1700 calories, 45% carbs. This scares me because I feel like that is too many calories and carbs. Any thoughts?

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't scary. :-) I'm also 5"8. I weighed 202, but now weigh 135. That's about how many calories I ate while losing.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think you should try it out. Exercise, too. See how it goes. If you gain or don't lose for 2-3 weeks, drop it like 150 calories and see how that goes.

You want to get it right and that make take some adjusting. Log your calories after weighting and measuring - at least for a few weeks. It's a pain in the butt, but it can be enlightening!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    1700 is not really a lot of calories. I'm on 2000, 5'7 at 175lbs. This is for an estimated 3-4lbs loss a month.

For me 45% carbs is too high. I'm better around 35-40% for my current deficit. But I don't do %, I just eat 0.8g/lb for protein and 0.4g/lb for fat, the other calories coming from carbs. So once I'm on a bulk or maintenance, I'll be eating more than 45% carbs probably... Closer to 250-300g for carbs once I'm on maintenance (or more depending on what my maintenance is) and more when bulking.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am 5 8 and started out at 180 pounds. I started with 1700 calories and as I have lost weight (15 pounds so far) it has reduced to 1610 calories. I don't limit my carbs at all.

It works!
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I think you should try it out. Exercise, too. See how it goes. If you gain or don't lose for 2-3 weeks, drop it like 150 calories and see how that goes.

You want to get it right and that make take some adjusting. Log your calories after weighting and measuring - at least for a few weeks. It's a pain in the butt, but it can be enlightening!

I agree fully with this. Try it out for around a month. If you're gaining or your weight is stable, drop them by 100kcals, each month (if you're still gaining) until you get that happy medium. Good luck. Remember it is a marathon, not a sprint. :flowerforyou:
  • dortilolma
    dortilolma Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8/5'9 (I never know for sure) and am on 1700. I know it seems like a lot but as long as you are meticulous about your logging (never estimate if you can avoid it) it should be fine.

I'm currently 148 pounds, down from 165. I've about 5 more pounds to go to reach my goal weight.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared of carbs. Carbs don't make you fat… it's all about the calories. Just choose complex carbs as they will probably be better for you (veggies, fruits, whole grains). 45% is a perfectly fine ratio. Not too high or too low. As for calories… it'll probably be fine. Chances are your TDEE is higher than that… so you will lose weight. Try it out for a few weeks. Then you can adjust as needed based on what your goals are… You are not terribly overweight… so I wouldn't aim for an aggressive goal. A pound a week is probably just fine.
  • heatherlynn1621
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel a little better about the situation =] I will stick to it and hope it works!
  • hbeauxmont
    Options
    Keep us updated! I am 5'8-9", eating 12-1500 calories, started at 190 and now weigh 175 - that's over two months of calorie counting.
  • heatherlynn1621
    Options
    Keep us updated! I am 5'8-9", eating 12-1500 calories, started at 190 and now weigh 175 - that's over two months of calorie counting.

Can you give me an example of the things you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks?