I need suggestions for speeding up Metabolism

Options
any good recommendations would be well welcomed thanks.

Replies

• kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Me too.....but I just read something I'm going to try.

I am a walker, and usually walk at approximately 3.0 MPH....not at all fast, but it keeps me going. The article I read said that I needed to do some speed bursts, so while I am on the treadmill, I'm going to up the speed to 4.0, or maybe even 5.0 and do a little jogging at different intervals and for different lengths of time to see if that helps. I am NOT a runner....never have been, never will be, I don't believe. But I do think I can do the faster/slower thing so that my metabolism ramps up a bit.

Good luck!
    K
  • monstertwelve
    Options
    ~Green Tea (drink a lot of green tea...or take the pills)
    ~Black Coffee (drink atleast a cup a day...but BLACK...also helps crub hunger)
    ~Black Pepper (put on everything!)
    ~B12 (most people swear by it)

******************************************************************************************************************************************
    Foods that Boost or Speed up your Metabolism

Rolled Oats
    Rolled oats can be made with whey protein and flaxmeal in the morning to spike your metabolism with high quality carbohydrates, protein and good fats. The best time to eat rolled oats is in the morning when your body needs carbohydrates for your brain and body to effeciently function throughout the rest of the day.

Whey Protein
    Whey protein is perhaps the best thing for your metabolism since sliced rye bread (yes, we know what the saying is). It is in powder format and comes from cows milk. Whey protein is a complete high quality protein which is great for increasing your metabolism because everytime you ingest protein your body feels full longer and revs your metabolism.

Almonds
    Almonds are loaded with good fats, fiber and incomplete protein. You can see the complete nutrient profile here. Since almonds have such great essential fatty acids they help your body raise it's metabolism just by ingesting them. Obviously ANY FAT has a high calorie content so be sure to have a few nuts every day. You can mix these up with pine, cashews and walnuts as they also contain a very healthy amount of good fats and antioxidants.

Natural Yogurt
    Natural yogurt contains many pro-biotic cultures that are necessary for a healthy digestive tract. Yogurt also contains a lot of good fats and some protein. Yogurt can be eaten as a mid-morning snack with a whole apple.

Green Tea
    Green Tea is perhaps one of the best morning metabolism boosters you can drink. Not only does it help with cancer risk, weight loss, metabolism it also contains caffeine which helps you focus during the morning. Green tea is found in many fat burning products

Beans
    Beans are loaded with fiber and incomplete protein. Fiber helps keep you feeling full longer which helps prevent any binges and lapses in your meal plan.

Spinach
    Spinach is loaded with antioxidants which help repair damaged muscles and prevent free radicals from doing their damaging effects to your health. Spinach is known for it's iron, vitamin C, potassium and magnesium. Myfit.ca wouldn't suggest ingesting this everyday but every few days would be acceptable.

Eggs
    Eggs are one of the highest quality protein sources available. Eggs should be part of everyones diet and is perhaps the best food at speeding up the metabolism.

Turkey
    Turkey is one of those lean meats that you should have once or twice a week to switch up your sources of protein. It is a great source of complete protein which helps rev your BMR (basal metabolic rate)

Chicken Breast
    Chicken breast should be a staple in anyones diet. It's lean, easy to make and you can find it cheap at the local supermarket. I prefer the bonless, skinless kind because it takes extra time to skin/debone it.

Peanut Butter
    Peanut Butter is one of those hidden health foods. People give it a bad rap due to it's high caloric content but it contains great essential fatty acids, lots of fibre and some incomplete protein. Instead of putting it on toast, try it on celery as a snack.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Canola Oil
    Extra virgin olive oil and canola oil should be used at ALL TIMES when cooking. Since extra virgin olive oil has a lower flash point (it burns at a lower temperature than most oils) it is sometimes pretty messy to use. These oils contain lots of omega 3's which keep your heart and brain healthy.

Whole grains
    Whole grains provide energy that you need throughout the day. Most of the advertised whole grains aren't actually made with Whole Wheat (and with the germ). Make sure that the product that you buy is not enriched either. The more that you increase your insulin levels the better chance you're slowing down that metabolism.

Berries
    Most people love berries and they're not such a hidden secret anymore. They are jam packed FULL of antioxidants and is probably one of the most important health foods to eat to maintain a healthy lifestyle and keep your metabolism going strong. Frozen Raw Raspberries are usually the easiest to purchase from the frozen section of your local supermarket.

Cayenne Pepper
    In the past five years cayenne pepper has been used in fat burners. Why you ask? Well, cayenne has thermagenic (heats up your body) properties. When your body has to cool itself down it requires calories to do so. Thus, creating a fire for your metabolism.

Coffee
    Coffee is one of those foods that have been loved and hated by many nutrionists and dieticieans. The most recent research about caffeine and coffee suggest many positive benefits which include: Speeding up your metabolism, heart health, increased concentration and many more.

Water
    A recent study by germany researchers suggest that 90 minutes after drinking cold water (H20) will boost your metabolism by 24% over their average metabolism rate. Make sure to drink your water cold. Not only does water keep your body lean it also helps with keeping the flow of nutrients and helps get rid of free radicals. Make sure you're keeping the water cooler near by. More research on water and weight loss

Steak
    Lean red meat has also been through a love and hate relationship with many health professionals; but recent research suggests that lean red meat should be ingested once per week. Red meat contains creatine monohydrate which helps your body use more creatine phosphate (ATP) to help you build muscle. Obviously with the more muscle mass the greater your metabolism.

Vegetables
    Vegetables are one of those completely needed foods that we NEED to eat to maintain an elevated metabolism. Vegetables contain fibre, vitamins and many essential nutrients which we can't get anywhere else. Make sure to ingest 10-12 servings of fruits and vegetables daily (yes, that's more than the current food pyramid says.

Apples
    Apples have a low glycemic index which is should be ingested almost daily as a fruit to maintain a
    healthy diet. Apples contain fibre which helps you feeling full longer, not to mention the slogan "An apple a day keeps the doctor away".

Salmon
    Probably one of the most important foods you should be eating twice weekly. Right now, the wild pacific salmon is the healthiest fish you can buy. This fish contains loads of omega 3's and other cancer prevention benefits.

(copied this from this website...http://www.myfit.ca/foods_that_speed_metabolism.asp)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Interval training helps and so does strength training.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    The only real way to would be to increase the amount of muscle in your body. The more muscle you have in your body the more energy your body requires to function.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Weight training, interval training, Eat a free meal every once-in-a-while, where you go over on your calories.

Concentrate on compound weight training exercises. Squats, Deadlifts, and lunges will work your biggest muscles, which should increase your metabolism.
  • aschroyer
    Options
    Increase weights/reps. Even if just for a few, go til failure. Speed bursts are a great idea. In order to increase metabolism, you need to shock your body.
  • ChristaS
    ChristaS Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ~Green Tea
    ~Black Coffee
    ~B12

cripes no wonder I'm doing so well this time. lol I started drink my coffee black around the same time I started losing the weight and drink a pot of the stuff a day. been thinking I should cut down but maybe I'll wait a while...
  • keta6atl
    Options
    Like noAdditives mentioned.....HIIT....or interval training does help increase EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption)....many studies have been done on this....try to incorporate this into your workout...as well as training with weights....
  • Mamaloo64
    Options
    Make sure you have a good breakfast. Your metabolism is 'at rest' when you have been asleep for eight hours so by always having a good breakfast it boosts it to a good level. You just have to maintain it throughout the day by having 'little and light' snacks in between meals, i.e. carrot sticks, a little chopped apple, a few baby plum tomatoes. Imagine you are keeping a plate spinning.
  • monstertwelve
    Options
    ~Green Tea
    ~Black Coffee
    ~B12

cripes no wonder I'm doing so well this time. lol I started drink my coffee black around the same time I started losing the weight and drink a pot of the stuff a day. been thinking I should cut down but maybe I'll wait a while...

haha...same here! the caffiene in it also helps with hunger...and it keeps me moving all day!!! lol...so i figure im burning lots of calories too!!!

Sweet!! coffee rocks!!!! haha
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I did a liver cleanse that is suppose to boost your metabolism. You drink an 8 ounces glass of room temperature water with the juice of a half of a lemon first thing in the morning. Then wait 15 min and drink another 8 ounces glass of room temperature waterwith 1/2 cup of all natural cranberry juice, and a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar. It not that great tasting but you get used to it. You do this for 21 days and no caffeine. Since caffeine slows the metabolism it counter acts the goal of cleaning your liver to boost your metabolism!!
  • MissMessVaness
    MissMessVaness Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    working out in intervals.. like start slow, speed up as hard and as fast as you can go, then slow down for the next 2 minutes and do over and over again for the whole time of your workout. Spinning classes are the perfect example of interval classes. Also drink green tea (recommended 3 glasses a day). Eat 6 small meals a day starting as early as you can in the day. good luck!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I did a liver cleanse that is suppose to boost your metabolism. You drink an 8 ounces glass of room temperature water with the juice of a half of a lemon first thing in the morning. Then wait 15 min and drink another 8 ounces glass of room temperature waterwith 1/2 cup of all natural cranberry juice, and a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar. It not that great tasting but you get used to it. You do this for 21 days and no caffeine. Since caffeine slows the metabolism it counter acts the goal of cleaning your liver to boost your metabolism!!

And yet plenty of other reports and studies show that caffeine boosts metabolism.

And we wonder why we all get so confused!
  • mikeveggie68
    Options
    thanks for all the responses a lot of good things for me to try :-) this is why i love MFP!
  • monstertwelve
    Options

And yet plenty of other reports and studies show that caffeine boosts metabolism.

And we wonder why we all get so confused!

haha yeah!
    but actually...they've proven that caffeine DOES boost your metabolism!!!!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing my doc and dietician stressed to me was the regular eatting. No more than 4 hours without eatting something with good nutrition. I found that 3 meals and a snack or two keep me going. Maybe this was because I was a meal skipper, or some days I wouldn't eat at all. I am eatting more now while losing weight than I did before when I was gaining weight!
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Either way with the caffeine does or doesn't boost your metabolism. The liver cleanse helped me stop drinking tea and start drinking water!!!
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    Bump
  • Boredboytn
    Options
    I'm not even joking.. I have found myself craving most of these foods on this list. Eggs, Apples, Almonds, Turkey, Roasted Chicken, wow.. I wonder if the body 'knows' what it needs in order to speed up metabolism when you go on a diet? Odd really.