Day 1 of Keto diet

Options
I decided to give a ketosis diet a try. I have been so inconsistent when trying to follow a lower calorie higher protein plan. I was trying to do 1400 to 1500 cals per day and ended up filling in calories with carbs. So September is a new month and I thought I'd try a new approach.

Today I had 25 net carbs and ended up with about 1400 calories. I realize I need to track calories or the weight will not come off. I would like to lose the last ten pounds I've gained over the last few years.

So, any other keto people out there? Any tips.

thanks!
L.

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Best tip I can offer is to join the keto and low-carb groups on here. You won't get much good support or advice in the general forums.
  • lilylee2
    lilylee2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Make sure you up your salt. I used a bullion cube tea.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a few things.

1. Do plenty of research and understand the whole plan. Lots of green veggies. low carb isn't just all the bacon and cheese you want. ( I have had zero bacon in over a year and try and limit my cheese to 1 oz a day on the days I eat it. )

2. Commit to trying it for a set time frame with the understanding your body takes time to adapt from burning carbs to fats.

3. Focus on whole foods.

Just things that worked for me.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Best tip I can offer is to join the keto and low-carb groups on here. You won't get much good support or advice in the general forums.
    This.
  • lilylee2
    lilylee2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a few things.

1. Do plenty of research and understand the whole plan. Lots of green veggies. low carb isn't just all the bacon and cheese you want. ( I have had zero bacon in over a year and try and limit my cheese to 1 oz a day on the days I eat it. )

2. Commit to trying it for a set time frame with the understanding your body takes time to adapt from burning carbs to fats.

3. Focus on whole foods.

Just things that worked for me.

Thanks for the info. Yes I agree it's not a good idea to load up on bacon and cheese but this first week I am including them to get through the hunger and carb withdrawl. I'm still keeping calories fairly low so hoping this works. I will monitor as I go.

L.
  • teebird61
    teebird61 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new to keto too! We can be newbies together!
  • CLAkeeno
    CLAkeeno Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have also been looking into a keto diet as well. Been really fascinated with the results and benefits. I want to join in on the newb quest with you guys too lol
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    I love eating keto and find it fits nicely with my goals and has become my lifestyle. Just remember that the only way to lose fat is to be in a calorie deficit. If you adopt mostly whole foods on your keto plan then you will likely find keeping your calories within goal a easier task, especially when eating out.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My only advice is from my experience. The same amount of calories with less than 20 carbs made me lose weight at the same rate as a low calorie/fat diet. Trust me, I watched my diet perfectly and was in ketosis for 5 weeks. No difference in weight loss, so I am eating my yummy carbs again. The only benefit I got from keto was less of an appetite and more protein in my diet. But, hey, if that works for you then so be it! Also, the first week on keto is HARD! Headaches, no energy, and insomnia were my symptoms.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I decided to give a ketosis diet a try. I have been so inconsistent when trying to follow a lower calorie higher protein plan. I was trying to do 1400 to 1500 cals per day and ended up filling in calories with carbs. So September is a new month and I thought I'd try a new approach.

Today I had 25 net carbs and ended up with about 1400 calories. I realize I need to track calories or the weight will not come off. I would like to lose the last ten pounds I've gained over the last few years.

So, any other keto people out there? Any tips.

thanks!
    L.

Just keep in mind that if your goal is to lose 10 pounds of fat and you're starting a ketogenic diet, you probably need to drop 15-20 pounds of total weight while on the ketogenic diet to account for the water loss from glycogen depletion and which will return when you reintroduce significant carbs into your diet. Hope it works out for you. :smile:
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    ^ bingo

If you are not making keto a whole foods lifestyle it seems a bit silly to do it for a few pounds.