1200 calories per day and foods that keep you feeling full

Options
13»

Replies

• Megabot
    Megabot Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    eggs for sure!!!

edit: I totally don't stay under 1200...I work out about 4-500 cals a day, and eat around 2100, which leaves like 1600-1700 net - makes me way happier than just consuming 1200 calories which i frankly feel is a bit silly, and won't ever work.

here's my favorite deluxe egg salad sandwich

Meg's Egg Salad:
    Put this mix on 2 slices of bread, with a hearty handful of spinach (I use about a cup, it's a lot but I squash it in there) with my bread it's under 500 calories, and really I am full before finishing it!

1 egg (mashed to tiny bits)
    3 Tbsps miracle whip
    1 Tbsp chia seeds
    1 slice (chopped to little bits) onion
    1 stalk celery (also chopped to teeny bits)

TOTALS: Calories456 -- Carbs 54g-- Fat 19g -- Protein 17g -- Cholest 187mg -- Sodium 740mg -- Sugars 10g -- Fiber 14g (almost all the carbs and sodium come from the bread - your recipe may vary!)

also, you could totally use 1 slice of bread, and it's about 350 calories... whaaaaaaaat!!! yeah. :)
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1200 calories.
    But I eat a lot of protein and lots of fruits and vegetables. No processed food at all. No sweets, no bread.

My breakfast - cottage cheese with cherry, peaches or other fruits. Coffee with skim milk.
    Or an omelet and tomatoes.
    Or a homemade yogurt with fruits.

A snack - fruits.

Lunch - grilled chicken breast (or fish, or meat) and 2-3 tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper.
    Often I have strawberry with some whipped cream for dessert.

Or last day I cooked turkey strew - turkey breasts stew with eggplants, zucchini, tomato, bell pepper, onions, spices, parsley. Cooked with just a little bit of oil.

I usually don't eat after 6 pm so I just have fruits or veggies before 6. It can be an apple, grapefruit, cherry, anything I have at work.

After 6 I can have some milk but that's pretty much it.

Edited to add:
    That's a diet proscribed to me by my doctor. I go to see her every week and we discuss my diet and weight loss, and she is really careful in analyzing m diet.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    OATMEALLLLLLLL.
    Brown Rice.
    Chicken.

Those keep me full for a long time, because they are LOW DENSITY. Oatmeal is a miracle food lol.
    Do not force yourself to eat 1200 calories a day if you are hungry. Do not make yourself go hungry, that is not what dieting is about.
    Eating protein helps keep you fuller. I eat lots of natural foods which help. Try almond butter on apples. Thats a good snack but keeps you full.

40391093.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • polinev
    polinev Posts: 2
    Options
    My daily amount of calories is 1280, but I'm "cheating" it by exercising and eating some of these calories back. I'm spinning twice a week, doing weights, burning appx. 350 cal and dancing 90 minutes, burning about 600 cal. On the days I don't exercise I tend to go for very long walks. This works for me - I'm allowed to eat more. :)

Eating exercise calories back is not "cheating" .... MFP gave you a calorie deficit with ZERO exercise.... not everyone can/will exercise. This is why you are expected to eat these calories back. It does sound weird ..... but the reason behind eating calories back ...... you will lose fat AND muscle when the calorie deficit is too large.

The problem people experience with eating exercise calories back is that calorie burns are estimates(often too high) .....so eating back a portion of these calories is a good idea. Then adjust up/down as needed.

Of course they are estimates, but I wear a personal HRM every time I exercise, even if I go for a walk to keep it as accurate as possible. Of course a 60 kilos 5'3" female will burn a different amount of calories to a 6ft male.
  • shirleycatt
    shirleycatt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am on the 1200 calorie plan and I don't eat my exercise calories (most of the time). I find that cutting out bread helps me eat more of the other stuff. I try to eat a piece of fruit with each meal except dinner (too much sugar before bed). I also have a rule of not eating fruit by itself. If it is a snack, I always eat a protein too! The combo works pretty darn good!
  • sleepyyy
    sleepyyy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! I feel ya. It took me a while to adjust different types of food until I found what keeps me satiated, a good, even mix of protein, fat and carbs (leaving one out usually makes me hungry) and wholesome foods, no 100 calorie pack crackers. I also feel much better eating something closer to the 200 cal range, 100 leaves me hungry and unsatisfied and end up eating more later on. I also tend to eat more for breakfast and less as the day goes on, its just what works for me.

Example-

Breakfast-
    Fage 2% yogurt + organic wildflower honey (I buy the ones that is all yogurt, and then add my own honey in) roughly 200 cals
    Ezekiel cinnamon bread + 1/2 tbsp of organic all natural pb- 140 cals

Snack-
    Organic Sweet potato baked w/ skin- 150 cals

Lunch-
    1cup spinach, 1cup kale- 50 cals
    2 cups of boil organic veggies lightly season w/ truffle salt ( my fav is broccoli and carrot but most veggies thats non starchy works)- 100 cals
    Hardboil egg- 80
    100 cals of whatever topping/snack you want

Snack#2-
    1 cup of boil veggies- 50 cals (Veggies are super filling for the amount of cals!)

Dinner-
    Large fuji apple- 140 cals
    slice of Ezekiel cinnamon bread-80 cals

Roughly 1200 cals

I also walk back and forth from work which burns around 140cals which I use either for chocolate or fruits :)

The other thing that really helps me is planning my meals out on Sunday night for the week.. that way I'm never tempted with take out or eating junk from vending machines because everything is prep and easily accessible in the fridge. It usually looks something similar to-
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/546765210984352815/
    or
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/546765210984352861/
    It looks like alot of work but it's actually really easy since you're grilling/boiling/steaming your food in big batches.. usually takes me no longer than 2 hours. The only thing is you'll have to get use to eating the same type of meals for 5 days straight.. but pick veggies you like and you won't get tired of them :)

Hopefully this helps.. good luck!