Here I go

Options
Okay, here I am. I look in the mirror and hate what I see. Thankfully, my husband loves me and thinks I'm beautiful, but I want to be the best I can be for him and our children. I especially fear what will happen to my health if I continue in this direction. (75 lbs overweight)

I have been a member for 4 days? now. What I have learned is that I consistently eat about 3000 calories a day! I don't know how to cut that to a decent number. Slim fast? Tuna for lunch? I'm not the best cook. I usually cook from cans.

To add to that, I have a 2 1/2 year old and an 8 month old. I'm not sure how to fit exercise in. I have some videos, but to tell the truth, I feel bad doing them because I'm so large and I usually can't finish 10 minutes without chasing down a child.

My brother and sister are on MFP with me and will encourage me, I know, but neither one of them is as far entrenched in bad habits as me (well, and my loving husband).

Any suggestions you may have as to how I can get started would be appreciated.

Replies

• NicholasMongold
    Options
    We are all here for you. You can even join my group on facebook if it helps. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/home.php?sk=group_174769109231499&ap=1

It's there to give different advice and to just be there for one another. It's for EVERYONE.
  • sschanding
    Options
    I joined MFP on the first of January. I have tried a lot of different exercises and I have found that a stationary burnes a lot of calories and is not hard on your body. I think that this is something I am going to stick with. Even at a low pace for 20 minutes, it burns more calories that walking. I try to watch something or listen to music to help the time go by! Good Luck!
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids myself and it is hard to fit in exercise...but just be creative. Maybe do 10 here and there until u do 30-90 min a day..it all counts. The calories is hard...I do cook but I just dont eat as much as I used to.
  • saramathers22
    Options
    Hi! And welcome to MFP

It is really amazing when you realise actually how many calories you are eating!!

Maybe the easiest thing to do for a start is sit down and work out what meals you are going to make for the next day? Make sure you always have good foods in the house so that you can vary what meals you are eating also? It is very hard changing "bad" habits, but once you get a routine going, you will find this much easier!

I always make sure I have breakfast, a small lunch and a big evening meal, with a couple of snacks this way Im eating a few times a day and keeping hunger away!

With the exercise, why not take the kids out for a walk to the park? Play hide and seek in the garden? There are lots of things you can do without much time or money!

Good luck with it
  • lostinvenice
    Options
    Hello!

First of all, you look great, and your husband is right to say you're beautiful. But i agree that losing some weight would make you feel better, svelter and happier with your reflection. So go on, put some effort in and see how well you can do!

I think a healthy diet should be a life choice, not just something you do for a few months and to reach your target. So I think my advice is: cut on sauces and condiments but maximise your food's own flavour. Chicken tastes great with sage and a squirt of olive oil for example. Add beetroot and boiled potatoed on the side and some salad and you've got a meal. Another advice is this: change your husband and kids' diet too to reflect yours. That will kill a whole lot of birds with one stone making your diet easier and theirs helthier too.

Anyway, good luck with your goal! You'll do great!
  • loseit4ever
    loseit4ever Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have young kids too, so can understand the exercise thing, but I've found some ways to make it happen. I try to do it when my little one takes her nap. I then either have my four year old do something with me, or I find him something to keep him busy for at least 20 mins. I make sure I am ready to start as soon as I put the baby down and then just go for it. Even if you get ten minutes here and there, though, it's better than nothing. Add me as a friend if you'd like. I will try to encourage and support you. I am breaking bad habits myself!
  • supertempdonna
    Options
    Aww I understand that it can be tough - I live with my family and cooking/eating well is very very hard. I suggest planning your dinners throughout the week - and have a few staple snacks for when you get peckish. Exercise - if you can find even ten minutes a day - will lessen your hunger and give you a positive buzz. You could just take your little ones (in a pram) for a brisk walk - make a game of how fast mummy can push them along :)

And most of all, focus on how good it will feel knowing that your children won't ever worry about your weight xx
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    Definitely look into healthy options of food. Fruits, vegetables, Chicken, fish, nuts etc. I find it hard to keep up w/ my 2000 calorie intake, especially on workout days (cuz you have to eat your exercise calories!) I start out the day with a veggie and egg white omlet, black coffee, yogurt, and fruit. I'll either have a sandwich or salad for lunch (or left overs from the night before's dinner) and then try and come up with something healthy and nutritious for dinner. The healthier you eat, the better your body will feel, and you will also feel more full.

I'd recommend checking out other MFP users food diary.

I also like the Biggest Loser's 30 day jumpstart book and DVD, it got me going!!
  • kklittle
    kklittle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Some thing that worked for me (as someone who really loves to eat!) was to try to substitute lower cal things for stuff that I would normally eat (like rice cakes in stead of crakers, and an orange instead of a cookie). It is hard to just totally go slim fast and tuna when you are used to feeling really full after eating whatever you want. You have to kind of analyze where all the cals are coming from too (eating when bored, the types of food or portions, overeating due to starving all day, or whatever it may be) to try to get a handle on reducing. Good luck to you...there are lots of people on here that can give a lot better advice than me, so check in often :) You can do it!!
  • gatkm
    gatkm Posts: 4
    Options
    Moved my post as it was my introductory one and I just realized it was under someone else's thread..
  • astronima
    Options
    I had to start small. After a year of marriage, my husband said that I have finally masterd cooking some meals. =) Everyday is a challenge to find healthy meals to cook, that are quick and easy. I also have a picky husband and have to find a way to not have the same three ingredients every night. All Recipes is free and has a lot of great recipes that are easy. It is hard to change, we used to eat Hamburger Helper every night! Not only did it get old, but they are so unhealthly, so when we bought out house I started trying all sorts of recipes. Some were good some were not so good. I have found crockpot recipes that are healthy and on All Recipes I can adjust the serving size so I don't cook more than we need.
    MFP will really help with the calorie tracking. I find myself now asking 'do I really need this' or I will say 'lunch is in 30 min, you can wait to eat until then.' Also getting up and doing something for 10 minutes has worked to take my mind of eating something. Exercising has been hard for me. I have been starting small, but it is still difficult. If it is possible what if you and your family went for a walk? Hubby and I used to walk around our neighborhood at our rental and after 2 months I lost 10 pounds. It was a really nice time for us and we talked and got closer by just walking and talking, no distractions. It might be a nice family thing you all could do together. Even if you only start one night a week and work your way up to 3-4 nights.
    I wish you much luck and this place is great for support and ideas.
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    Thanks to a friend who mentioned this site to me, I decided to give it a try. I am starting TODAY even though I'd already consumed too many calories before getting online to join. That way I can see just how out of control my intake of calories has become. Also, if I allowed myself to wait until tomorrow, I might find an excuse to wait until the next day, and the next...So, here I am. I know I can lose the weight now that I've decided to do it for myself.
    make smart choices through out the rest of your day, and then start fresh tomorrow!

This site is great. If you need some inspiration, or ever get the feeling you can't do it, go to the success portion of the message board and look at the amazing transformations people have gone through with their before and after pictures.

Everytime i get down about getting healthy, i go there and "re-inspire" myself.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who said you can't go slim-fast and tuna, cold turkey, from 3000 calories per day. Looking for smaller swap-outs would be better to start with. Maybe there's a lower-calorie creamer you could use in your coffee, or you could have a sandwich at home instead of at a fast food place. Eating out is absolute MURDER on me, so anytime I can eat at home in stead of eating restaurant food is an improvement.

Don't expect too much from yourself at the beginning. If you do, you'll get discouraged and quit.
  • jenbusick
    Options
    Would it help you, or just annoy you, if your husband joined and did this together with you and the rest of us?
  • jenbusick
    Options
    One thing about this site that I find especially useful is the recipe tool -- put in your recipe, and it calculates the nutrition values per serving. It makes it easy to cut back, because you can look at the 1-cup serving you USUALLY eat, and say "Yikes! 750 calories!" but if you cut back the serving size to 3/4 or 1/2 cup, it cuts the calories. You're eating the same food, and just cutting back a little bit, but making progress by altering the serving size.
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am new as well, just started about 5 minutes ago, haha. I used to be so good at exercising every other day but I have gotten SO off track, it's insane! And I've gained so much because of it. I also have trouble finding time to fit in workouts- I'm a full time student with a 30+ hr/week part time job, so it's tough to not just relax whenever I have the time.

One suggestion for you- are there any exercises that you can do with your kids? I would think that dancing around the livingroom would drain your energy and your kids energy, and would be a good work out. Whatever you can do with your kids that is both fun and physical would be really helpful, I think.

Good luck to you!!!
  • JoinerMaus
    Options
    The question is not would it annoy me, but would it annoy HIM. The answer is...probably.
  • JoinerMaus
    Options
    The question is not would it annoy me, but would it annoy HIM. The answer is...probably.

Sorry, Jen...That was for you.
  • JoinerMaus
    Options
    One suggestion for you- are there any exercises that you can do with your kids? I would think that dancing around the livingroom would drain your energy and your kids energy, and would be a good work out. Whatever you can do with your kids that is both fun and physical would be really helpful, I think.

Ha! I just finished 10 min of that and had to rest. My 2 year old insisted I HOLD her and dance. She also likes to do yoga, but hassles me so much I usually give up and give her the mat. At some point, I hope to get her one of her own so she'll leave me alone.
  • lehuagirl
    lehuagirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm on the same journey. How did we get here? But we are here and nowhere to go but down, in weight that is. Why do we stick to bad habits when good ones make us feel better in the long run???? Short term gain I guess. And gain is the operative word right? Anyway, welcome, and I agree about the no cold turkey on anything. You will quit the eating part and get injured on the exercise part! Make a couple realistic changes per week and watch it grow into some positive results!!! My mom and I just talked yesterday about how for skinny people, exercise is never the first priority to go by the wayside. So start with your 10 minutes a day until you figure out a next goal that works for you and the kiddos! God Bless You and see you online!!!!!