New to running

Options
NCVF
NCVF Posts: 83 Member
Whether you're new or experienced in running, I'm looking for some tips. I haven't run more than a couple blocks in over 10 years. At that time I started slow; one min run, one min walk. I would like to run for exercise because it doesn't cost anything and I can do it from home. So I made my first attempt and I did terrible. /: I tried to push myself and wore myself out quickly. I also got some acid reflux although I hadn't eaten for 5.5 hours. I'm thinking I should start slow again.

Have any tips? How does running make you feel? Best at night or in the morning?

Thanks for sharing!

Replies

• TabithaMichelle85
    TabithaMichelle85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump... I just downloaded Couch To 5k... I am not a runner at all but I want to try. Personally I want to start early in the morning so it isn't so hot. I walked my first 5K and was pretty disappointed that it took me an hour. I'm looking for tips as well, thank you for making this post :)
  • mazh4r
    mazh4r Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi!

First off you shouldn't be disappointed with 5k/hour since a person walking casually goes 1 kilo in 15 minutes.

I established my run pattern a few months back and heres my process:
    The first thing I did was 'scout' my routes that I wanted to jog. so i would spend a couple hours the first couple of weeks making physical markers on where i should start running and where i should stop and so on and so forth. For example, in my first mile i jog from home to 3rd stop sign, walk from stop sign to lighpost 1, run from lightpost 1 to lightpost 2 etc. I would do this for 3 general locations to change it up.

my 3rd week i started to understand my body and how long i can sustain a run and how long it would take me to recover while walking.

after a couple more weeks i finally got into a a sort of rhythm and slowly expanded my jogging time by meeting those physical markers i set, and from there you can expand.

right now i jog 4.5 miles in 1 hr but when i started i was at 4.5 in 1:10

I use running apps like runtastic to track my distance since i personally care more about distance than time it took.

so really it takes some planning and patience, cant just get up and start, i tried that and got demoralized first time around.

Finally, I prefer mornings 45 minutes before sunrise because you see crazy stuff in the sky like venus and jupiter and most people are asleep then. additionally, i only dont have breakfast before the jog, only water because you may feel lighter and what not, especially since you have acid reflux, it may be more preferable for you then.

again this is just my process, it is crazy different from person to person and idk if my method is even right. but I hope this helps!

PS. I do my runs outside since i kinda have to force myself to get back home, rather if in a treadmill i'll just stop when i want to...just going from personal experience.

62533016.png
  • bonneycc
    bonneycc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started couch to 5k six weeks ago. It's working but you have to push yourself. When I started, I had trouble jogging more that 3 minutes. I was able to jog for 20 minutes with the last session I did.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm far from a pro, but I've been jogging since May now. I started after being seriously sedentary for about 5 years. My first bit of advice would be to do some strength training - it doesn't take much, but some squats and core exercises will help your form a LOT if you are just starting. Other than that, just stick with it - don't push too hard or you could injure yourself, but just keep at it. You will see improvements quite quickly.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run more than 30 seconds at a time when I started on Jan 2010, so that's what I did. Couch to 5K works. Android and iOS apps that play your music and tell you run now, walk now. No thinking, easiest thing ever. I was running 30 minutes straight within 9 weeks. I've since done a full Ironman, a marathon, a couple of Half Marathons, a couple of Half Ironmen, and various shorter distances for both.

I'm now training for Dopey (2nd week of January 2015 at Disney, 5K Thursday, 10K Friday, Half Marathon Saturday, Marathon Sunday).

P.S. I did feel like I was going to die during each and every one of those 30 second intervals, so that's normal :D
  • sacto68
    sacto68 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone's suggestions on the C25k program. I always had a hard time running, but I'm almost though with the program and am running for 22 min straight.

You'll have to push yourself. But do it at your own pace. Go as show as you need to, worry about speed later on.
  • ff1L
    ff1L Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    it's just a matter of pushing yourself, and time, this will take months and months to get your times down.

also don't worry about other people's PB's just worry about your own.

the younger guys over here will run a 5k in 21 minutes where as i'm "stuck" at 25....doesn't matter, i get a lot out of it.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    When you first start out run really slowly- almost same speed as walking. Mix running with power walking- ie run 1 min walk 2 mins. Use a couch to 5k app if you like, or a watch. I find outside running is easier and you are not able to press "stop" when it gets too hard. Try to stay out for 20-30 mins even if most of that time is walking. Good luck with your running.
  • Fasttrack2freedom
    Fasttrack2freedom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have to say that running is about the only exercise i enjoy doing. I have one speed... slow. But other than that once i get my pace, i can think about other things as i move down the road and it helps me to clear my head. Of course i do other types of exercise but this is my default. My advice is build slowly and consistancy is the most important ingredient. Also i use FitRadio app

Mark
  • sportmir
    sportmir Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started last year in june. First I tried a popular programme in the Netherlands called "start to run". That was to heavy for me, since I hadn't excercised in god knows how long. Frustrated cause everybody seemed to be able to run 5K with this programme so why couldn't I, I sat down. Than my husband started to help me. In the beginning we walked, every time a bit faster. At some point we started to run little bits (really little). It took me longer than the programme but I didn't get injuried and by the end of september I run 4,2K! Unfortunately my hero got injuried (I guess cause he has to run too slow) but I kept on going. Now I run 5K in 33 minutes and our new goal is 8K!
    So my advice is just go out your door, start walking, as soon as you feel a bit stronger walk faster, keep upgrading till you run. Once you run you'll be loving it :-)
    Good luck.
  • NCVF
    NCVF Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to check out the Couch to 5K app!
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to check out the Couch to 5K app!

Thats what I'm using and its working. It does feels miserable sometimes but when I'm done I'm proud of myself :) Running is strangely addictive...
  • betsastormborn
    Options
    I cannot say enough good things about the couch25k app. That is where I started and now I have ran several half marathons. It really works! When I got into running just the thirty second intervals were too much for me so I repeated a couple weeks before moving forward and that helped me not burn out. Don't worry about how fast you're are going. Speed really comes with time. Just do the best YOU can.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    careful once you get jogging/running in your blood it is hard to stop. I have my first 15k on the 14th and am already signed up for a half marathon in February 2015.

29509743.png
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm working on the Zombies, Run! 5K. Adds a little story to the training, which I really like.

I never thought I'd ever be a runner, but I find myself looking forward to my cardio days.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have shoes appropriate for your foot and gait. Wrong shoes can really mess you up.
  • Vortex_ConQueso
    Options
    ^^^--- This, what the woman with no shoes said!

(I also enjoy the Zombies C25K program)
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    A lot of people like the C5K program, but this didn't work for me. Once I start walking, I'm finished. It's just in my brain I guess. I started running very slowly and my first run was only 15 minutes. I slowly started adding minutes....to 16, 18, etc. I didn't worry about my speed, only that I was running. I worked my way up to where I can go for 40/45 minutes now, non stop, 6 or 7 days a week. I am not the fastest runner out there, but I don't care. I haven't lost much weight from it scale wise, but I have lost loads of inches....every where. So I would suggest just do it at your own pace so that you feel good and stay motivated to do it.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I recommend Couch to 5K. You don't need an app; you can do the program with a stopwatch if your memory is halfway decent (or you write the day's run on your forearm with ink that washes off).

Here's the program:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml