Time of month and appetite

Options
I just realised why I'm so hungry a week before I"m due my period my appetite gets uncontrollable. Why does this happen? WHat scientific logic can make me understand! I get the weight gain due to water weight, but why the increased appetite for carbs?!?!? and sugar??

Replies

• jimandpam87
    jimandpam87 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Idk the science behind it, but this happens to me too! I've seen some theories that you actually burn more calories during your period, which would explain the increase in hunger. I don't know how true that is though.
  • RAWR1202
    Options
    Idk the science behind it, but this happens to me too! I've seen some theories that you actually burn more calories during your period, which would explain the increase in hunger. I don't know how true that is though.

There are quite a few studies and articles that say it's true. However, the increase in calories burned is quite small (I would say around 200-300kcal for the average woman) and it happens during the week leading up to your period rather than when your period actually happens.

I'm not quite sure why it happens but if you get cravings for carbs, you could try and increase the amount you eat through complex carbohydrates so you're less likely to want to overindulge in sugary foods.
  • Sthere
    Sthere Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! INever knew that!! I see waffle iron mac and cheese pics on Facebook and I'm salivating!
  • MaryHuckleberry
    MaryHuckleberry Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This happens to me every single month and it's when I am the most vulnerable to binging. I don't know if I have found the cure for myself but I have found lately that drinking a lot water seems to help.