I have to eat how much???

Options
So I started going back to the gym. Yay!

Here it is a month and a half later of going 3 - 4 times a week, doing cardio, etc... And I haven't lost a single pound. I started trying to log again... But alas... I fail at that. Do I think I've been bad on what I eat.... No. I eat fairly good and am pretty cognizant about what I jam in my face. I was talking to my trainer(s) about what is going on... And we have come to the consensus that I'm eating enough... Ok... No biggie... I was eating about 2500 calories a day... How much do I really need to increase... Yeah... Um... I have to increase my daily intake to 4800 calories a day... And I'm not allowed any cardio... Just strength training. Anyone else come across this... And how do you get that much in a day. I did 3500 yesterday.. And all I could think all day was "I don't wanna eat... I still feel full."

Insight, advice, help.... Please.

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    What are your current stats, and what are your goals? (And what is your trainer smoking? Unless you're doing an insane dirty bulk, 4800 with no cardio is...off.)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Any trainer that would put you on a 4800 cal weight loss plan deserves to be fired and kicked in the balls.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I am thinking this sounds like a really bad plan.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I started trying to log again... But alas... I fail at that.

Do I think I've been bad on what I eat.... No.

I eat fairly good and am pretty cognizant about what I jam in my face.

Until you get a handle on EXACTLY what you're jamming in your face (not "I think" or "fairly good" or "pretty cognizant") I think you're likely going to struggle.

It's extremely difficult (ie - next to impossible) to out-exercise a poor diet.
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    if your goal is to gain weight/muscle and be a world strong man type than maybee what he says is true, but if your goal is to loos weight and have definition. you have to shred pounds first so you need to find out your rough bmr and calories burned during exercise and create a deficit to loose weight.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Any trainer that would put you on a 4800 cal weight loss plan deserves to be fired and kicked in the balls.

what if they don't have balls? (on a related note, I'm really curious about what MKX does with Cassie Cage's xray on a female character).
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think if you are trying to lose weight, you have to know how much you are eating. You are probably eating and drinking way more calories than you think. You should check out Secret Eaters on You Tube. Eye opening.

If you eat less than your burn you will lose weight, not the other way around.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I started trying to log again... But alas... I fail at that.

Do I think I've been bad on what I eat.... No.

I eat fairly good and am pretty cognizant about what I jam in my face.

Until you get a handle on EXACTLY what you're jamming in your face (not "I think" or "fairly good" or "pretty cognizant") I think you're likely going to struggle.

It's extremely difficult (ie - next to impossible) to out-exercise a poor diet.

More like impossible to out exercise a poor diet.
  • Jhedghes
    Jhedghes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Daily routine:

Load trucks at UPS for 5 hours. This is a medium to high intensity job lifting an average package weight of 60lbs and walking over 12,000 steps.

1 hour break

2nd job - I work with low to high functioning, high violence autistic kids and adults. Medium intensity, averaging 9,000 to 11,000 steps a day.

I have my BMR and other stats written down and will post later today... But I was needing 2500 calories a day (after deficit) on a day I don't work.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Something is wrong here buddy. I started out at 270 lbs eating 1920 calories a day and now that I am at 219 i am eating 1750 calories a day. That is light active with a 1000 calorie a day defecit. I lift every other day but dont eat back those calories, i do cardio most days and I do eat those calories back. Most days its 1750 + 600 (Cardio calories) for a 2350 calorie day. The trainers at my gym try to push the weights down everyones throat.....and that makes sense cause who needs a trainer for cardio? They have told me I should be staying away from cardio and just lifting weights.....I polietly decline and stick to what I am doing. In the last 6 months I am much stronger than before, I can now run and not be out of breath, and I feel awesome. I'll lose the weight and then worry about trying to bulk up later.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Daily routine:

Load trucks at UPS for 5 hours. This is a medium to high intensity job lifting an average package weight of 60lbs and walking over 12,000 steps.

1 hour break

2nd job - I work with low to high functioning, high violence autistic kids and adults. Medium intensity, averaging 9,000 to 11,000 steps a day.

I have my BMR and other stats written down and will post later today... But I was needing 2500 calories a day (after deficit) on a day I don't work.

2500 a day on days you don't work sounds like maintenance or maybe 1/4 Pound a week loss, you need to be at a defecit to lose weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fitness gurus are not doctors. Ask the doctor.

Cardio is good for you. It helps burn gat, but it's real benefit is how good it is for your cardiovascular system (hence the name.)

Weight lifters are full of bastardized science and medical info. Take all of it with a grain of salt.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Daily routine:

1 hour break

2500 a day on days you don't work sounds like maintenance or maybe 1/4 Pound a week loss, you need to be at a defecit to lose weight.

We haven't seen his stats yet. It is possible if he is a big guy to need this much for deficit...like a 300+ guy, which is entirely possible. However, this is just conjecture at this point until you know how big of a guy he is. The bottom line is the same though, if you want to lose weight, you need to eat less than your maintenance. How quickly you lose, will depend upon how much of a deficit you are at.
  • Jhedghes
    Jhedghes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ok... For those in question... My BMR (with math):

Weight: 254 × 6.23 = 1582.42
    Height: 74 × 12.7 = 939.8

Weight + height - age = 2304.62
    Add 66 = 2370.62

Weekend calories: 2370.62 × 1.2 (Light activity) = 2844.74
    2844.74 - 500 = 2344.74/day doing nothing but playing xbox

Weekday calories: 2370.62 × 1.2 = 2844.74
    Vigorous walking (UPS): 2.184 × 5 hours = 10.92
    10.92 × 254 = 2773.68
    2844.74 + 2773.68 = 5618.42 calories to maintain
    5618.42 - 1000 = 4618.42 cal/day to lose about 1.7 lbs a week.

All numbers above are without me adding in the 4 days a week that I go to the gym for strength training. Or the days that end up physically strenuous at my second job.

If my math is wrong... Please help me figure out how.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Ok... For those in question... My BMR (with math):

Weight: 254 × 6.23 = 1582.42
    Height: 74 × 12.7 = 939.8

Weight + height - age = 2304.62
    Add 66 = 2370.62

Weekend calories: 2370.62 × 1.2 (Light activity) = 2844.74
    2844.74 - 500 = 2344.74/day doing nothing but playing xbox

Weekday calories: 2370.62 × 1.2 = 2844.74
    10.92 × 254 = 2773.68
    2844.74 + 2773.68 = 5618.42 calories to maintain
    5618.42 - 1000 = 4618.42 cal/day to lose about 1.7 lbs a week.

All numbers above are without me adding in the 4 days a week that I go to the gym for strength training. Or the days that end up physically strenuous at my second job.

If my math is wrong... Please help me figure out how.

You can run the numbers all you want, the bottom line is that if you weren't losing weight at 2500, doubling your calories isn't going to make you start. In fact, I"m fairly certain that you would gain a significant amount of fat rather quickly.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    if you aren't losing at 2500, either you're miscounting your calories - which is the reason most people i know fail to lose - or if not, you're not eating at a deficit. if you weigh and measure all your food and you're sure of the calories you eat, cut to 2000 per day and you will. it's that simple over 99% of the time - the other 1% would mean a thyroid or similar issue.

and you might find a trainer that's not a complete idiot.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Have you run your numbers through the calculator on Scooby's website? http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Depending on your activity level, I'm getting a TDEE for you around 4000 calories, so taking 20% off that would give you 3200 or so to eat. That seems more reasonable than either 2500 or 4800.

The bigger issue, though, is your logging. All the math in the world isn't going to help if you don't know if you're hitting your target. I would suggest you pick a reasonable goal, tighten WAY up on your logging and stick to it for a month, then reassess from there.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    10.92 × 254 = 2773.68

I don't know what this calculation is but it seems off. As a construction electrician I needed an extra 1400 kcals per day for an 8 hour day. Granted I was about 200 lbs and 5'-7".
    Your calculation seems high...
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    First, work on getting to a healthy weight.
    If you're including weightlifting in your exercise program, you will develop muscles along the way.
    Once you get to your goal weight, you can start playing with upping your protein & the weight you lift to grow muscles.
    The most effective way to burn calories (lose weight) is cardio. Do at least 30 min 5x per week to maintain weight.
    Weight: 254
    Height: 74
    At 6'2" you should be between 145 & 190 to be in a healthy BMR range.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf

To get to 190, eat 1900 cal per day TOTAL. Ignore "net", ignore exercise.

Since you have more than 40 lb to lose, you could start out losing 2 lb per week (1500 cal per day), but you might find that too big a change, esp. with your very active lifestyle.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

In the last week, your calories have been all over the place!
    3300 (TUES), 2100 (MON), (nothing on Sunday), 720 (SAT), 4047 (FRI), 1927 (Th), 1443 (WED)
    Get that under control first.

You're very low on fruit & veggie intake, as well as whole grains.
    Heavy on meat.
    You can eat lots of veggies for the same amount of calories as a few oz of meat.
    It will fill you up, give you more fiber & nutrients.

This calculator will tell you not only your BMI, but how many servings of various foods to eat to maintain that weight.
    If you enter your healthy goal weight from the BMI chart (start with 190), this will help you plan your food intake to get there.
    https://www.bcm.edu/research/centers/childrens-nutrition-research-center/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html
    No matter which goal you have for weightlifting, you need to know the maximum amount you can lift, called the one-repetition maximum or 1RM.

For building muscle, you want to do 1 or 2 sets of 8-12 repetitions of a weight that's 70-85% of your 1RM.
    For building endurance, do 1 or 2 sets of 15-20 repetitions of a weight that's 50-65% of your 1RM.

Either way, start low on both weight & reps and work up.
    You should just be able to do the last 2-3 reps.
    When it gets easy to do the maximum # of reps, add 5 pounds and go back to the minimum # of reps.

(From the American College of Sports Medicine's book "Resources for the Personal Trainer, 4th edition".)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The bigger issue, though, is your logging. All the math in the world isn't going to help if you don't know if you're hitting your target. I would suggest you pick a reasonable goal, tighten WAY up on your logging and stick to it for a month, then reassess from there.

This.