Good "diet" alcoholic drinks?

Options
2»

Replies

• lizzybathory
    Options
    i heard vodka has no calories? i think aaha
    I remember a friend of mine telling me that vodka has no calories. He made himself vodka martinis constantly and put on about a hundred pounds that year, literally. Wish I was kidding.

Vodka certainly has calories. All alcohol has calories. Some people might be confused because they're alcohol calories, and not carbs, fat, or protein... but there are definitely plenty of calories in alcohol of all kinds. :)
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I usually do vodka soda and lime or tequila (the good stuff and not the crap gold bottom shelf) with soda, splash of gingerale, and lime. Delicious. Double fist with a water, or have one water in between each drink. ;)
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Vodka spritzers (which you already drink), white wine spritzers (half white wine half sparkling water - super refreshing), or red wine...
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If I have beer, i go with Bud select which is 55 calories. Not the best but it gets me through lol
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Vodka is made from potatoes..it has calories lol
  • Bellamonacita
    Options
    I totally get it! I work in Washington DC where half of my job is "shmoozing"/networking/attending events where the booze and food is not only GOOD, it's FREE. I love my job because it is highly interpersonal and based on human connectivity, but over the past few years I have seen steady weight gain. I am finally taking control of my life after this long bout of food and beverage carelessness, and my decision is long-term health and better habits.

Here are a few tricks I use:

*Incentivizing getting through an event without booze. E.g., if I don't drink for the two hour event tonight, I get a small Fro-yo/small cookie at home. Believe me, a small dessert is way more healthy than the 3-5 drinks you will consume.

*Reminding myself that drinking does not allow me to use the best judgment about my health, goals, and motivations. If I have more than one glass of wine, I will talk myself into drinking more because I am in the moment and the body is motivated to continue the "buzz." But when I wake up the next morning, I will see added weight gain. No go.

*When someone proposes getting a pitcher of something sugary, like margaritas, I will listen to myself. Do I really want a margarita or something like a vodka-diet sprite; or sangria (less calories)? Remembering to listen to your own heart when others propose ideas is what has helped me.

I am still working on it, and I still have slip-ups (just last night before a music concert!) but I know that the habit and discipline to gut-checking decisions is what has started this change for me. Your body will tell you what it wants!
  • sdelo7
    sdelo7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Looking for some alcoholic drink ideas that won't cause me to ruin my diet. Would also LOVE TO FIND a drink that causes less of a hangover than beers or vodka diet sprites which is what drink now.

We go out a couple times a week for drinks with friends after work - can't be avoided. And then I am a concert promoter so I am out every other weekend promoting events at bars and festivals so drinking happens.

So can anyone suggest some drinks that I can have 5-6 and not ruin all my weight loss efforts the week before?

Heard gin and tonics?

Heard tequila and soda water with splash of lime?

Any other ideas or tips?

(please do not say stop drinking)
    Beware of gin and tonics! Unless they use diet tonic (which I doubt), they're full of sugar and calories. I usually get some kind of liquor with soda water and a lime if I'm watching calories. Otherwise, I looove me some beer. I know there are some low calorie beers. I've had Sleeman Clear, but I know Michelob Ultra and Canadian 67 are also popular around here (but ewww Canadian).

I used to think Tonic water was great until I realized how much calories it contains. Whoa!
  • Pammeycakes55
    Pammeycakes55 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I usually have a Ultra MIchelob LIme Catus flavor. It's about 96 calories and 2 grams of carbs

I also have 5 ozs. cabernet sauvgnon. That's pretty much my drinks of choice! :)
  • jfeakins
    jfeakins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Dang. I'm gonna start buying me some skinny girl bare naked vodka!! PS- Who knew Becks Light was actually so light?

Thanks for the info... great website!
  • jfeakins
    jfeakins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I typically go with a vodka, club soda, & lime. If I'm craving a margarita-- patron with club soda and lime!

General rule of thumb-- if you're craving a sweet or fruity drink just muddle fruit (or herbs! Basil...mint...) into club soda. It's not **the same** as juice or soda, but it's a fraction of the calories! Truth be told, I like it better :)
  • StephanieL14
    StephanieL14 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I used to think Tonic water was great until I realized how much calories it contains. Whoa!
    Same! The "water" part is misleading! I use diet to make G&Ts at home, but not when I'm out!
  • clynnrychly
    clynnrychly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I personally like to drink raspberry vodka (or any fruit flavored vodka) and water with a squeeze from a slice of lemon or lime or both. Tastes like juice, is as little calories as an alcoholic drink will get, and the water keeps you hydrated to avoid a hangover.
  • Rik_77
    Options
    For me, it's a good whisky that can enjoy slowly or more often a gin and slim. I like gin and tonic because it isn't sweet and is a fairly long drink. But you must order slimline tonic as tonic water Is calorific.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Guinness, all day every day. 125 calories for 12 oz. Tough to find a better tasting beer with similar numbers.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    The darker the alcohol, the worst the hangover. So vodka and white rum are better than whisky and brown rum. This was told to me by a guy who specializes in whiskey and scotch.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    rum and diet, coffee drinks with or without alcohol, order talls so you get more mixer, soda water with any alcohol or schnapps, mich ultra or miller 64 beer, also order a water on the side so you can sip it while drinking your alcohol drink and stay hydrated, wine spritzers with soda water in tall glass (has more alcohol percentage and will last longer, alternate with an alcoholic drink and nonalcoholic drink each time our order, for home try the skinny bee line. :drinker:
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Regular beers can really mess with your numbers so I have switched to light beers.

Molson Canadian 67 (67 Calories).......I would honestly drink water and at 3% alc I may as well
    Michelob Ultra (80 Calories)........not much of an improvement over Canadian 67 but at least 4.0% alc
    Coors Light (113 Calories).......a huge improvement in taste over the previous but creeping up there in calories
    Corona LIght (99 Calories)......I feel this has the best flavor to calorie ratio and at 3.9% alc.

Other than that if you are serious about getting in shape do not over indulge. I like to cap it at 2 drinks a night, unless I am camping for the week then it is usually considerably more.
  • mkt_29
    Options
    My nutritionist said red wine is definitely the way to go:)
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Guinness, all day every day. 125 calories for 12 oz. Tough to find a better tasting beer with similar numbers.

This is true! I've been over-indulging in Guinness lately since I somehow let it slip out of my regular purchases.

Favorite low-cal drinking though is a double shot of your favorite liquor (I am partial to a reposado or anejo tequila) and a pint of water. The double shot will come in a tumbler, and you may feel more comfortable sipping rather than shooting it. Require yourself to drink that pint of water before you order another round. The double shot will run you about 200 cals, and the water will both assist in avoiding a hangover if that's a risk to you *and* help keep you feeling full. Net-net is enjoyable drinking, keeping the cals in check, and staying hydrated.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Regular beers can really mess with your numbers...
    that's an outright lie. It hasn't hurt my numbers at all.

and dude, when you're downing 4...5... 8 corona lights in a day... every day or so, there might be something else going on to look into.