Flu

Options
For the past couple of days I have had the flu bug. In fact, today marks day 4. Should I be worried that I have lost 5lbs in these 4 days?

Replies

• trinityleigh
    Options
    For the past couple of days I have had the flu bug. In fact, today marks day 4. Should I be worried that I have lost 5lbs in these 4 days?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Ick! Viruses and such can really mess with your body and weight. Make sure you are drinking TONS of water. If you have a fever or have been using the restroom very frequently, you could be losing a lot of water weight. Are you eating like you normally were? Have you been to a doc yet?
  • trinityleigh
    Options
    I am eating normally. And keeping it down, most of the time. So I'm not worried about my calorie intake. I was worried though about dehydration. I've increased my water intake to 10 glasses a day. And today, after reading online that I was probably losing electrolytes I started drinking Gatorade too.

I'm starting to feel better so I haven't made a doc. app. yet.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I am eating normally. And keeping it down, most of the time. So I'm not worried about my calorie intake. I was worried though about dehydration. I've increased my water intake to 10 glasses a day. And today, after reading online that I was probably losing electrolytes I started drinking Gatorade too.

I'm starting to feel better so I haven't made a doc. app. yet.

Gatorade is really high in sugar...I'd go for something like pedialyte, and smartwater would be the best because there's no sugar, just electrolytes.
  • trinityleigh
    Options
    I didn't think about pedialyte or smartwater. Thanks! I'll give one or both a try!
  • AaronG
    AaronG Posts: 1
    Options
    Pedialyte is great, but there is a new product out by Gatorade called G2 its only 50 calories per serving (8oz) and it tastes great!
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Have you been pumping yourself full of decongestants? Those are the main culprit for dehydration when sick! Like songbryd said, keep up the fluids.

Another option if you do have an upset stomach: sierra mist free or any other carbonated water. Our family pediatrician always had mom keep a 2-L on hand with 5 kids! (Let it go a little flat or it will upset you more)
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Being sick sucks. Good to hear you are doing better.
    I was wondering about the pedialyte just this last weekend. I was sick and running fever as well. I had to send my husband out to the store around the corner for Gatorade. He had to take what was there at the time and it was nasty tasting to me.
    The next time I go to Wal-Mart I am going to buy one or more of the drinks you all have mentioned here and have it on hand for the next time I get sick. If it gets old and I have to toss it out that will be fine with me. I will just go buy a new fresh supply just in case.
    When I get sick like that there is no amount of what in this word that will quince my thirst and replace the electrolytes that I have lost.
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    Get Better Daniel... I can't really give advice... I've never really had the flu.:wink:
  • trinityleigh
    Options
    Thank you all for your great advice! And thanks JB for just being you!

:flowerforyou: Danielle
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    i keep calling you daniel... sorry.. you know what i mean. :flowerforyou: :laugh: