What keeps you motivated?

Options
My day 1 starts tomorrow..

Replies

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I keep looking at that layer of fat where my abs will show one day -- and I know that if I stop working towards my goal there will be more fat there and also, I am beginning to feel so much better after working out.
  • bethanyboomstick
    bethanyboomstick Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What keeps me motivated is the fact that heart disease is the leading cause of death in my family, my mom just had open heart surgery a month ago, and both of my brothers have been diagnosed with high blood pressure.

Preventing my own early death, protecting my heart, staying active, staying healthy and not being another 'heart disease' victim on a loved one's family health history is what keeps me going. Knowing that eating right, exercising regularly, being within a normal BMI range and not smoking are the best things you can do to prevent heart disease keeps me going, every day.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Seeing positive changes in me. And its not always about the # on the scale. Being healthier, happier with ME: big motivator. Being able to do things, no longer having to worry that I can't do something because of my weight or energy level: that's a good one too!

And as a parent, setting a good role model for my kids. Have 2 kids: ages 12, 14, 16. Trying to create habits in them that will carry them thru a lifetime, without having to live out my mistakes.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The fat.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Motivation is just short term. It ebbs and flows and you cannot rely on it. Habit is what keeps me going I've ingrained habits so that when I'm not motivated it doesn't occur to me to not do them
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The humiliation of admitting to myself that I couldn't do it.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Motivation is just short term. It ebbs and flows and you cannot rely on it. Habit is what keeps me going I've ingrained habits so that when I'm not motivated it doesn't occur to me to not do them

^^ Agreed! "Motivation" is overrated and sometimes just never comes in the form you think it's supposed to come. Instead of being motivated, one day out of the blue I just started doing. And it felt good and I saw results, so I kept doing. Now a year later I'm 75 lbs lighter. Would have seen a year pass anyway, so I'm glad I just decided to "do."
  • KristinKory
    KristinKory Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    How much better I feel, my rising energy level (my kids love that I can keep up with them now!) and the fat disappearing off of my body!
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    Being a stubborn *kitten* and an upcoming tropical vacation that requires wearing a swimsuit in public. Haha
  • smokeyser
    Options
    It gets easier once you form healthier habits. I've been at it for about 2 months now, and I rarely find myself at my calorie limit and still hungry. Avoiding eating fast food (and fried foods/burgers in general) frequently and keeping washed/sliced and ready-to-eat fruit on hand for snacking will get you 75% of the way there. Just remember: you don't necessarily have to eat less, just healthier. You can stuff yourself silly on broccoli, carrots, and chicken without ever having to worry about calories. Steaks are great too, just without the extra tablespoon or two of butter on top of the baked potato.

The most important thing is... Find what works for you and don't worry about what someone else did. Everyone is capable of being both healthy and satisfied at the same time. You've just got to find your groove. :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

^^ Agreed! "Motivation" is overrated and sometimes just never comes in the form you think it's supposed to come. Instead of being motivated, one day out of the blue I just started doing. And it felt good and I saw results, so I kept doing. Now a year later I'm 75 lbs lighter. Would have seen a year pass anyway, so I'm glad I just decided to "do."

This was me too. One day, I just started. No buildup, no fanfare, no a-ha moment. As I've built healthier habits and patterns, it has become, not easy, but commonplace. I still have a long way to go, but I seriously feel as if I can do this, and that keeps me going.
  • logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've said it several times here, but it's my favorite quote. I honestly tell myself this EVERY SINGLE TIME I don't want to do something that I know I should do, or want to do something that isn't helping me reach my goal...

"Don't give up what you want most for what you want right now!"

If it's food that I want that is just a craving, it's usually gone in 10-15 minutes if I resist. If it's not wanting to exercise, if I go ahead and do it, I feel that much better that I accomplished it despite my initial reluctance.

Additionally, having a supportive and encouraging partner is more valuable than you can imagine! If you don't have someone, add friends here or consider joining a Meetup group.

Good luck!
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Two things: My 5Ks and the vision I have of myself at a healthy weight. Tracking everything has helped a lot. I know if I'm going crazy on carbs or not eating nearly enough protein. I still need to work on my macros, but in the meantime, I'm learning as I go. I'm much better off now than I was 2 months ago. I haven't lost much weight, but things are changing. My habits are changing. My attitude is changing. Goals give me something to strive for every day.

Also, I keep telling myself that I want to be a bunny next time I am in Vegas ("bunny" is my word for those hot looking girls walking up and down the strip at night who look like they just walked out of a Playboy magazine).
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're talking about. I don't need motivation to bike or run, or actually to do most cardio, because I enjoy it.

What keeps me logging my food and meeting my calorie goals is the knowledge that NOT doing so led me to gain a substantial amount of weight, with the health and aesthetic consequences, and that doing so has allowed me to lose 60 pounds in the last 20 months. Besides, by now it's habitual and takes very little time to log. The decision not to eat more than my goal, though, is motivated by my concern about the long-term consequences if I put that weight back on.