How am i supposed to eat 1500 calories a day??

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    i never understand these posts.. you can't manage to eat X amount of calories in a day now that you are trying to lose weight as opposed to the calories you ate to excess over the years to get overweight in the first place? :huh:

I was thinking the same thing but couldn't figure out how to phrase it properly.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I can't eat below my 1500 because my BMR is 1498. So if i exercise, I have to eat my calories back otherwise i'll be below my bmr :noway:
    There is nothing inherently wrong with eating below your BMR estimate, much less 'netting' below it. Though of course it's not required, either. But you can take that worry off your plate.

I've been eating below my BMR/RMR for quite some time now and I feel way better than I did 67.5lbs ago. I shoot for 1350 a day, with a fairly balanced macro spread of 31% carbs/33.5% fat/ 35.5% protein. The registered dietician I met with today reviewed my diet and weight loss charts and okay'd me to keep consuming at this level, so long as my energy levels were good .
    :tongue:
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    i never understand these posts.. you can't manage to eat X amount of calories in a day now that you are trying to lose weight as opposed to the calories you ate to excess over the years to get overweight in the first place? :huh:

I was thinking the same thing but couldn't figure out how to phrase it properly.

+2

Also, way to necro an old post :tongue:
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    "i never understand these posts.. you can't manage to eat X amount of calories in a day now that you are trying to lose weight as opposed to the calories you ate to excess over the years to get overweight in the first place? huh"

This! I could eat 1500 calories in my sleep! Every single bite that goes into your mouth doesn't have to be "healthy." Have a hamburger (homemade, of course), baked potato with a pat of butter, cheese omlette. Or do like I did last night: go out for Indian food and blow your quota all the way out of the water!
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options

Yeah, me too. Had to read it again to see that they want all their calories to come from "healthy" food.

Try avocado, olive oil, & nuts.

ETA: oh my, at least I'm not the only one that fell into the necro trap
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Oh look, it's this thread again
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY Agree!!!! I have a daily goal of 1310... I know that 1200 is okay but not my "goal", but I have a hard time eating healthy up to 1200 calories. Then if I exercise more than 3 times a week, or do any extra in a day, I find I have a defecit!!! While I don't have any advice on this, I am glad I am not the only one!!!! :)

I'm still trying to get a handle on what to eat too. I've never been a big eater myself, so I know what you mean about struggling to eat enough. I'm glad I'm not alone.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My take on OP's post was that unless she ate "junk" that she couldn't meet the 1500 calories.
    Choosing a large banana over a small 1 will up the calories...simple things like that.
    Natural fruit(s) have calories too so instead of saying that "junk" is the only option and unless being diabetic is a problem, eat your fruits~~especially now while they're in season and typically less expensive than when theyre not!
    ETA:
    It doesn't sound like she has a "problem" of getting to 1500, more like its the choices shes making on how to get there although it would be different if no matter what she did, she wasn't able to...eating good or bad foods, but it doesnt seem to be the case in her situation!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Don't worry I can't eat all my calories back I'm on 1200 a day and burn about 800+ a day and I always have several hundred calories left over and couldnt possibly eat another bite I am so full. I've never been a big eater

Bye Bye muscle mass........:sad:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Since the OP is from two years ago I'm sure she's figured it out by now.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of peanut butter? Almonds, cashews, etc. Nuts are very high in calories and very delicious and very good for you, provided you allergic of course.

A pbj or some guacamole and tortilla chips should help out your situation nicely.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    "i never understand these posts.. you can't manage to eat X amount of calories in a day now that you are trying to lose weight as opposed to the calories you ate to excess over the years to get overweight in the first place? huh"

This! I could eat 1500 calories in my sleep! Every single bite that goes into your mouth doesn't have to be "healthy." Have a hamburger (homemade, of course), baked potato with a pat of butter, cheese omlette. Or do like I did last night: go out for Indian food and blow your quota all the way out of the water!

I for one understand these posts. Sometimes people move from one extreme to the other extreme. They have an idea that fat is bad (very old fashioned)....but their new goal is fat free. They have an idea that grain is unhealthy (OK....for a small minority this is true). They have an idea that high volume, low calorie (um....LOW nutrition) foods are the way to go.

I would have a hard time eating 1500 calories too if I ate nothing but "rabbit food." But rabbit food doesn't help me keep lean muscle mass.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It is very difficult to reach 1500 calories a day, day after day, eating only healthy food. :(
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I can't eat below my 1500 because my BMR is 1498. So if i exercise, I have to eat my calories back otherwise i'll be below my bmr :noway:
    There is nothing inherently wrong with eating below your BMR estimate, much less 'netting' below it. Though of course it's not required, either. But you can take that worry off your plate.

I've been eating below my BMR/RMR for quite some time now and I feel way better than I did 67.5lbs ago. I shoot for 1350 a day, with a fairly balanced macro spread of 31% carbs/33.5% fat/ 35.5% protein. The registered dietician I met with today reviewed my diet and weight loss charts and okay'd me to keep consuming at this level, so long as my energy levels were good .
    :tongue:

I agree. But I also think that if someone can't figure out how to eat 1500 with "healthy" foods that person should get a more expansive definition of healthy foods. Just with stuff like eggs, meat, dairy, fruit, vegetables cooked in olive oil, salad with some dressing including olive oil, nuts, some cheese, whole grain bread, quinoa, potatoes and sweet potatoes, avocado, etc., none of which I understand considering "unhealthy," I would have zero problem getting to 1500, if I were aiming for that on a particular day. Of course, today I had some dark chocolate, which makes it even easier, and I suspect neither my health nor my weight loss is in jeopardy.

Edit: Oh, outdated. Never mind.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    zombehhh

Dont-Care-reaction-gif.gif

:laugh:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have to intake 1500 calories day , but I have a hard time eating that cause I really am not hungry I try and make myself eat 3 meal and 2 snacks in between but it is hard to hit 1500 need help anyone

^^^ This is the post that bumped this thread. I wasn't going to post to it since it was a zombie but I noticed that the bumper was asking a question. (Albeit the same question that the OP asked and had answered.)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:
    Coffee w/ cream and sugar
    Greek Yogurt
    Fruit
    Cheese Stick
    About 500 calories

Lunch:
    Pita wrap with Chicken, fresh veggies & tatziki sauce
    About 500 Calories

Dinner:
    Meat, side dish & veggies
    About 500 calories
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

+2

Well, first we complain that people don't use the 'search' function

And then we complain about zombie threads
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Here are some ideas for adding nutritionally dense calories:

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad)
    Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt)
    Fruit
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples)
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon
    Add Chia seeds to salads or yogurt
    Olive oil
    Smoothies
    Granola/sports nutrition bars
    Whole grains or whole grain products (like brown rice, Quinoa, oatmeal)
    Beans and legumes
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

+2

Well, first we complain that people don't use the 'search' function

And then we complain about zombie threads

Well, to be fair, the question was answered in the original thread. So why didn't she just read those answers instead of re-asking the question?