Should I still be calorie counting, even though I am sick?

jacolyncoker123
jacolyncoker123 Posts: 55
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I believe I have the Flu, should I still be counting my calories?

Replies

• emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    I can totally relate. Although I don't have the flu, I've spend the entire weekend home sick. I have a severe head cold. I still have an appetite, but limited and picky.

I didn't eat as much as usual this weekend, but I did try to fill up on calories with healthy stuff if I could.

I also made sure to have plenty of water water!! I want to stay hydrated, because when I get dehydrated the scale dips down and plays tricks on me... so I'm try to drink even more than normal.

Great question..... I'm curious what the responses will be.
    I'm trying to think of it as........... if I can eat something that is relatively healthy or with nutrients I need, then I'm helping myself get better all around and give my body energy to get better. So that is why I'm counting.
  • I would suggest that you don't (i'm a nurse)...when you have a fever your body burns more calories than it normally would, even at rest. Also, your body needs as much nutrition as it can get to be able to heal and fight disease when you are sick. This is just a suggestion.
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    I would, just because you can maintain what you should be doing...logging...even if you go over or under, that doesn't matter. What matters firstly is getting healthy, secondly, staying in the habit of logging. It may help you to focus on what you could or should be eating while your are sick too. Eat lots of Vitamin C packed fruit, get your fluids, etc. Watch the sodium. Don't just eat anything you want because you are sick. It is not an excuse to eat poorly. You should be eating better. in my opinion...
  • oh my gosh, I didn't give a crap when I was sick, lol!
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Yes, you should!! When people get colds, they tend to eat more....
    A few months ago, I started losing weight and got a cold. I gained back the weight I had lost and more. I don´t think you want to do that either...
    What you can do, to make a difference, is make sure you get enough nutrients, a dose of certain foods that keep you in a good mood (that´s my opinion), and maybe if you think it´s necessary to help you get over the cold, eat all the calories you need in a day. For example, if your calories are 1600 in a day and you´re eating 1200 so that you can gradually lose weight, eat all 1600.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    I would, just because you can maintain what you should be doing...logging...even if you go over or under, that doesn't matter. What matters firstly is getting healthy, secondly, staying in the habit of logging. It may help you to focus on what you could or should be eating while your are sick too. Eat lots of Vitamin C packed fruit, get your fluids, etc. Watch the sodium. Don't just eat anything you want because you are sick. It is not an excuse to eat poorly. You should be eating better. in my opinion...

Totally agree with this! Hope you feel better soon!
  • I've been sick for about a week now (just a cold but with sore throat and just generally don't feel good) and I have been counting calories just to make sure I'm getting enough. I haven't been hungry and I only made it to 1200 cals one day and got close (enough) the other days. I've lost quite a bit over the week so now that I've gotten my appetite back I am really going to have to watch what I eat so I don't gain a ton back.
This discussion has been closed.