can i still get benefits from weight training if

Options
im not into weightlifting at all, but i was told many times that for me to achieve a flat stomach i would have to incorporate that. so i was wondering if i would still get good results if i lifted 2-3 days a week for 20-30 min each session?

Replies

• jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    and i know little dinky weights dont count. i mean deadlifts, squats, ohp etc using heavier weights
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Yes you get benefit from it for fitness and health.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes you will benefit from weight training but I found there is no such thing as spot reduction and my stomach has flattened by my diet mostly ...

I do the weight training but when I really watch my calorie intake and drink plenty of water is when my belly flattens rather quickly.

Not sure if this is because I'm pear shaped and hold most my weight in my butt and legs but this seems to work best for me.
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    Yes you will benefit from weight training but I found there is no such thing as spot reduction and my stomach has flattened by my diet mostly ...

I do the weight training but when I really watch my calorie intake and drink plenty of water is when my belly flattens rather quickly.

Not sure if this is because I'm pear shaped and hold most my weight in my butt and legs but this seems to work best for me.

i wish i was a pear, unfortunately im apple and hold all, when i say all i mean all, of my fat on my belly :( yes i also did hear that diet plays a big role its 80% diet and 10 %exercise and the other 10 i think are genetics. correct me if im wrong though :)
  • jardimgirl
    Options

wow that seems tough! maybe someday ill give it a go. thanks for the link!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    You know, I've seen you complain about your stomach for months but I don't think I've ever seen a real picture of you. Is it possible that it isn't as bad as you think it is?
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yes but barely set or make supersets and dropsets. But if you're a begginner your body probably won't respond as well to that kind of training.
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    You know, I've seen you complain about your stomach for months but I don't think I've ever seen a real picture of you. Is it possible that it isn't as bad as you think it is?

i do have pics in another post
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    Yes but barely set or make supersets and dropsets. But if you're a begginner your body probably won't respond as well to that kind of training.

sorry what are supersets and dropsets?
  • jardimgirl
    Options

here is the link to my pic. sorry i dont know how to post pics

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj560/malucamenina88/image_zps8f6eab1d.jpg
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

here is the link to my pic. sorry i dont know how to post pics

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj560/malucamenina88/image_zps8f6eab1d.jpg

Is not that bad. Are you eating at a deficit?
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    Some days I am but mostly maintanence.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    I'd continue with a small calorie deficit. Body recomp (where you lose fat and gain muscle at the same time while eating maintenance) is very hard to accomplish and probably not possible only lifting 2 days a week. All you could hope for with 2 days a week is to maintain the muscle you already have, which means you'll need the deficit to lose the fat.
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    Yes that's what I'm gonna do
  • OnTheGround
    Options

sorry what are supersets and dropsets?

A super set is when you do two or more exercises back to back with no breaks in between.
    A drop set is when you do as many reps as you can with your starting weight and then get the next lowest weight and do more reps with that.......for example, I will do my drop sets with the leg press starting at 180, I can do about 15, then when I can't press that 180 anymore I lower the weight to 160, then 140, then 120, etc.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest keep that minor 250 cal deficit as you start lifting - you'll make strength improvements using existing muscle.

And yes, 2 x weekly can actually see improvements, if you go in with non-tired muscles (so watch the prior day workout) and really go at it as hard as you can, and then really allow full repair from it (so watch the following day workout is not intense).
    You can maintain gains with 1/3 the frequency and 1/3 the duration of what got you the muscle, same weight though.
    But since you've done nothing yet, then you obviously don't need 2 x weekly to maintain what you've got.

But once you have maxed out existing muscle, then go to maintenance eating, which will allow you to keep making progress.
    It's that progress, that overload, that asks the body to repair, and repair stronger and bigger if diet allows.
    It's that repair that burns more fat than normal during the next 36-48 hrs of a good workout.

And something like Stronglifts 5x5, which is only 30 min 3 x weekly, would be enough.

Or do Starting Strength 2 x weekly for 45 min full body.

And the supersets/drop sets is for intermediate lifters, not beginners. Either you won't be doing it right to even attempt it and get max benefit from it, or you'll injure yourself attempting to do it right.
  • Billjfhj
    Billjfhj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If your goal is having a flat stomach then what you would need to do is burn more calories. Weight training is burns calories but there is a lot of resting involved so it isn't very affective for the goal you're working towards. I would suggest finding out how many calories you should be taking every day, then decreasing the calories by about 300. Remember that food intake is the most important part of getting to your fitness/body goal. I would suggest cardio instead of weight lifting. I would suggest you do some sort of high intensity cardio for at least 30 minutes every two days.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If your goal is having a flat stomach then what you would need to do is burn more calories. Weight training is burns calories but there is a lot of resting involved so it isn't very affective for the goal you're working towards. I would suggest finding out how many calories you should be taking every day, then decreasing the calories by about 300. Remember that food intake is the most important part of getting to your fitness/body goal. I would suggest cardio instead of weight lifting. I would suggest you do some sort of high intensity cardio for at least 30 minutes every two days.

No, you don't have to burn more calories - you merely have to eat less than whatever you burn.

And it is rather narrow-minded view to look at ONLY the time of the workout, where indeed cardio may burn more than lifting, but lifting burns more in repair for many more hours afterwards.
    There is 24 hrs in the day, don't be fixated on the 4% of the day in exercise, which may be a difference of a whole 8% of the daily calorie burn.

Besides, in either case, eating less than you burn works both ways. Burning more in cardio just means you can eat more - which may be great for adhering to the eating plan.
    But it's a free extra deficit for the increased metabolism dealing with repair later.
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Now about protein, do I need to consume that before or after weightlifting, or can I have it spread out throughout the day?