First Time Tough Mudder This Sunday!

Options
Anyone have any last-minute advice? I'm wondering if I should be eating any differently/more for the next few days, or change my exercise routine at all leading up to it.

My plan (my team's plan as well) is to really go at our own pace, we are not superstar athletes and just want to finish it together! Any advice on the mental game/approach would be more than welcome as well! I'm a bit terrified of what I've signed up for but looking forward to it :)

Replies

• burningstorm
    Options
    Be terrified, I blacked out twice on my first race due to the electric shocks I got. Ambulances every 5 minutes carting people off the course. It will totally kick your teeth in after you hit the Arctic Enema and realize you have another 12 miles to run after swimming through ice cold water under a barbed wire surface. Stick together, you MUST use teamwork to finish the course, and that means you will have to rely on others as well not on your team. Don't be afraid because hands will go everywhere..Boobs..butts..balls...but it's all in a competitive/friendly spirit to get people over obstacles so don't read more into it than that. It was by far THE most grueling psychical event I ever did, so I ran 2 more. You will love it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I had a great time!

The best thing I did was start seriously hydrating a week in advance. I upped my water intake to about 3 liters a day.

The day of the race, I had a banana with toast and peanut butter. I didn't drink a lot of water before I ran because I didn't want to pee on course (and, also, I was properly hydrated).
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I LOVED the Tough Mudder I did! Carb load the night before.

Also, 100% the WORST obstacle is the Arctic Enema. I was terrified of Everest but it wasn't too bad. The Arctic Enema, on the other hand... Jesus Christ. There is nothing you can do to prepare for it. That's where most people got taken off for our course. Your heart feels like it's going to stop and you'll literally almost go into shock because of how cold it is. I got in and almost had a panic attack. I asked the guy at the station how far down the barrier went, felt for the bottom, and just did it. I won't lie to you: you will have to seriously prepare yourself for it, but once you're out its such an accomplishment. After that, everything was easy because Arctic Enema was so tough.

I don't want to scare you out of it, just be prepared! I wish someone had told me HOW hard it was so I would have known!
  • burningstorm
    Options
    That obstacle at the start just kicks you in the stomach...I got stuck behind a girl who seized up and I was in the water for almost a minute and I completely cramped up. I have a pic on here of me falling out of that obstacle and EVERY muscle in my body seized up. Literally my toes cramped up..I couldn't run more than maybe 1000 feet without my legs cramping up..I limped across that finish line...bruised and drained..and I found mud 2 days later :sick:
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Hard but doable. So much fun and the camaraderie is amazing - seriously, everyone helps everyone. You'll question why the hell you did it and around mile 8 when your legs are cramping you might hate life, but then you keep going and finish. Don't think about it, just go. You'll love it!
  • anna1m
    anna1m Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Drumheller? I will be watching and cheering everyone on!
  • Ahrena
    Ahrena Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I adored it.

I can't wait to do another! I didn't actually find it massively difficult but I did walk 90% of it as my friend had an allergic reaction to something and had an asthma attack 5 min in so couldn't really run. I trained a lot so I could run 12 miles so walking it was a doddle.

I was petrified about electricshock therapy, (I have horses and a healthy respect for electric fencing), but I only had 2 light shocks [although I still ended on my knees]. Artic Enigma was the worst for me by far, it was okay until my head went under and then you can just feel your body starting to shut down.

Mud mile was hilarious and the best. It felt like a huge achievement and I was on top of the world afterwards. And even though I barely ran, the next day I felt like a truck had run me over then reversed back over me. Walking was interesting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Be terrified, I blacked out twice on my first race due to the electric shocks I got. Ambulances every 5 minutes carting people off the course. It will totally kick your teeth in after you hit the Arctic Enema and realize you have another 12 miles to run after swimming through ice cold water under a barbed wire surface. Stick together, you MUST use teamwork to finish the course, and that means you will have to rely on others as well not on your team. Don't be afraid because hands will go everywhere..Boobs..butts..balls...but it's all in a competitive/friendly spirit to get people over obstacles so don't read more into it than that. It was by far THE most grueling psychical event I ever did, so I ran 2 more. You will love it.
    That obstacle at the start just kicks you in the stomach...I got stuck behind a girl who seized up and I was in the water for almost a minute and I completely cramped up. I have a pic on here of me falling out of that obstacle and EVERY muscle in my body seized up. Literally my toes cramped up..I couldn't run more than maybe 1000 feet without my legs cramping up..I limped across that finish line...bruised and drained..and I found mud 2 days later :sick:

3M1PLLt.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Wut?

It was great fun. Much easier than I thought it would be - running training is important because cramping up is awful. I got lucky and didn't but saw a guy's leg shudder up as he was climbing up a rope. That hurt to watch.

HATED Artic Enema. It's like an ice cream headache for 5 minutes. Awful.

A few other things try your grit. But doable, especially with support.

Doing my second in a week. Signed up for a third.

Advice: take your time, be vocal with the team - check everyone is ok, speak up if you are not. Most often someone suffering will not speak up - break that. Have fun. Taper down the week before and don't train too much then. Arrive fresh. Really keep training to a minimum the week before and give yourself time to be fully recovered/ unstrained at the start.
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just did my first tough muddder in August (at 51...I rock) ...it was awesome....the weather was horrible, rainy and cold, it was all either up or downhill (course was at a ski resort) 6 inches of mud and water everywhere.....best thing I ever did.

Enjoy!!!
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Tough Mudder was the best experience of my life! I loaded up on carbs - lasagna the night before and a big bowl of oatmeal the morning of. They offer you bananas and tons of water throughout the race to prevent cramping.

They do an awesome job at pumping you off prior to starting. The adrenaline kicks in immediately and you'll surprise yourself! Good luck!!!
  • maddiequinlan
    maddiequinlan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Yes, I know for a fact that the Arctic Enema will likely be the very worst one for me. I get cold easily, so that is my number 1 concern.

That said, any advice for attire? There is ZERO chance of me getting too hot, so conserving heat and staying as dry as possible would be the goal.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Thank you all! Yes, I know for a fact that the Arctic Enema will likely be the very worst one for me. I get cold easily, so that is my number 1 concern.

That said, any advice for attire? There is ZERO chance of me getting too hot, so conserving heat and staying as dry as possible would be the goal.

The Artic Enema sucks, but it's also kind of awesome. The blast of cold on my muscles made me feel better once I shook it off and my pace picked up.

I wore long Reebok compression tights and a long sleeve under armour compression shirt. I ran it in October.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

The arctic enema was my second obstacle and was over quick. Luckily, I did it in December in FL, so it wasn't miserably cold and I could warm up. I wore compression capris and a dri-fit shirt. I would recommend wearing something formfitting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    what's are the weather conditions for your run?
  • burningstorm
    Options
    I did mine in the mountains of Utah in October, 35 degree weather, freezing rain and 20mph winds.
  • maddiequinlan
    Options

The arctic enema was my second obstacle and was over quick. Luckily, I did it in December in FL, so it wasn't miserably cold and I could warm up. I wore compression capris and a dri-fit shirt. I would recommend wearing something formfitting.
    The Artic Enema sucks, but it's also kind of awesome. The blast of cold on my muscles made me feel better once I shook it off and my pace picked up.

I wore long Reebok compression tights and a long sleeve under armour compression shirt. I ran it in October.

Perfect that's what I was thinking! :)
    I adored it.

I can't wait to do another! I didn't actually find it massively difficult but I did walk 90% of it as my friend had an allergic reaction to something and had an asthma attack 5 min in so couldn't really run. I trained a lot so I could run 12 miles so walking it was a doddle.

I was petrified about electricshock therapy, (I have horses and a healthy respect for electric fencing), but I only had 2 light shocks [although I still ended on my knees]. Artic Enigma was the worst for me by far, it was okay until my head went under and then you can just feel your body starting to shut down.

Mud mile was hilarious and the best. It felt like a huge achievement and I was on top of the world afterwards. And even though I barely ran, the next day I felt like a truck had run me over then reversed back over me. Walking was interesting.

To be honest, if it calls for walking for me or anyone on my team, I am absolutely going to. I am not a distance runner (5ks for me!). Finishing and having a muddy blast is what I'm in it for.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Perfect that's what I was thinking! :)
    I adored it.

To be honest, if it calls for walking for me or anyone on my team, I am absolutely going to. I am not a distance runner (5ks for me!). Finishing and having a muddy blast is what I'm in it for.

I definitely walked some of it. The course I did was a 13-mile run in the hills of West Virginia. Most people had to walk the steep parts. Be safe, have fun, enjoy your well-earned beer :drinker:
  • maddiequinlan
    Options
    what's are the weather conditions for your run?

It's in Drumheller, Alberta. Right now the forecast is saying sunny and 24 degrees C (which is about 75 F). So I am just praying it stays that way!
  • maddiequinlan
    Options

I definitely walked some of it. The course I did was a 13-mile run in the hills of West Virginia. Most people had to walk the steep parts. Be safe, have fun, enjoy your well-earned beer :drinker:

Thank you! :smile: